2020-21 Expected Roster Talk - Part 3

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
He needs to be using this offseason to improve his game there. I’m willing to try him again at wing, or like CallMeShaft suggested, let him and Dach split the 2C spot.

I feel like Wallmark as the 3C gives you a better overall lineup. Maybe you score a little less, but you probably give up a lot less as opposed to a Strome-Nylander third line.

That was part of the problem in the playoffs, their first, second and fourth lines were fine and the third line was a mishmash of leftovers that wasn't working so our depth seemed really poor but because it kind of affected the deployment of the other lines.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That was part of the problem in the playoffs, their first, second and fourth lines were fine and the third line was a mishmash of leftovers that wasn't working so our depth seemed really poor but because it kind of affected the deployment of the other lines.

They should have split up DeBrincat and Strome and played Hagel over Nylander, maybe even Kurashev over Caggiula. They waited until the end to replace Nylander with Quenneville but obviously a career AHLer wasn't the solution in the middle of the playoffs:laugh:
Hagel and Kurashev would have been skilled players that could have helped Strome. Nylander was just useless all playoffs long and with DeBrincat Strome didn't have any chemistry and Alex' confidence was down anyway.

I agree that the 3rd line was a problem but it was curious that the Coaches never really tried to solve it. I guess they were just happy the way the other three lines were playing so they didn't care about Strome:laugh:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
will be interesting to see what happens with Strome for sure and that will likely tell us who plays 3C, Toews-Dach are the top 2 C's for sure.

To be honest if I was coaching and given the present lineup options I would do this;

Cat-Toews-Kane
Kubalik-Dach-Suter/Kurashev
Janmark/Shaw-Wallmark-Suter/Kurashev
Janmark/Shaw-Kampf-Carpenter/Hagel/Nylander/Entwhistle/Highmore etc

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
will be interesting to see what happens with Strome for sure and that will likely tell us who plays 3C, Toews-Dach are the top 2 C's for sure.

To be honest if I was coaching and given the present lineup options I would do this;

Cat-Toews-Kane
Kubalik-Dach-Suter/Kurashev
Janmark/Shaw-Wallmark-Suter/Kurashev
Janmark/Shaw-Kampf-Carpenter/Hagel/Nylander/Entwhistle/Highmore etc

I'd like to keep Strome. You can't have too many strong Centers. Keeping Strome and adding Wallmark would also give the Blackhawks 4 players (Toews, Strome, Wallmark, Kampf) capabable of winning more than or at least around 50% of the draws. Lineup projections are very tough with that forward logjam but based on faceoff numbers it would make sense to use Wallmark as 4C and put Kampf on Dach's wing to do the dirty work for Dach and either Kane or Kubalik. I'd also glue together DeBrincat and Toews. Then you still have the option of front loading with a Toews top line or going for three equally dangerous lines via playing the other one of Kane and Kubalik with Strome. Should Shaw be able to play then I'd try him with Strome. With the depth of skilled players available, I'm also against playing Janmark in the top9.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I'd like to keep Strome. You can't have too many strong Centers. Keeping Strome and adding Wallmark would also give the Blackhawks 4 players (Toews, Strome, Wallmark, Kampf) capabable of winning more than or at least around 50% of the draws. Lineup projections are very tough with that forward logjam but based on faceoff numbers it would make sense to use Wallmark as 4C and put Kampf on Dach's wing to do the dirty work for Dach and either Kane or Kubalik. I'd also glue together DeBrincat and Toews. Then you still have the option of front loading with a Toews top line or going for three equally dangerous lines via playing the other one of Kane and Kubalik with Strome. Should Shaw be able to play then I'd try him with Strome. With the depth of skilled players available, I'm also against playing Janmark in the top9.

Kampf is a 4th line player and nothing more, he is a waste of a roster spot if he is played in the top 9

I think we should keep Strome also however he either needs to change the way he plays C or he needs to embrace bing a winger, if he does not want to do either turf his ass.

Stan stated that he brought Janmark in with the plan of utilizing him in the top 9

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
DeBrincat Toews Kane
Kubalik Strome Dach
Suter Wallmark Nylander
Janmark Kampf Carpenter/Shaw

If we don't move Strome and wanted him to excel you could always have him split center duties with Dach for this season (ala McDavid and Drai in years past). Stick a strong power forward with a good shot on the open spot on that line and you could have a solid top 6 line.

Would also allow Wallmark to play 3C, which he seems more than capable of.

This wouldn't be my go to lineup, but it wouldn't be terrible as long as they can still give Dach enough time in the middle to continue to develop there.

I mentioned it already but Wallmark is still a mystery to me. Probably be the first player I can't really explain what's wrong. I've probably watched almost all of his 167 NHL games but I still don't know. He's certainly missing out on a lot of great chances but his shooting percentage wasn't this bad lately and he's also scored on low percentage chances to make up for it. He's got all the tools. He can skate, he's got good hands, he's got the playmaking ability. Still his scoring output remains low despite him getting to play with good players and getting PP-time. Hard to believe the man scored just 56 points in total.

I think Wallmark is capable of playing 3C but I'd rather have Strome in that spot.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kampf is a 4th line player and nothing more, he is a waste of a roster spot if he is played in the top 9

I think we should keep Strome also however he either needs to change the way he plays C or he needs to embrace bing a winger, if he does not want to do either turf his ass.

Stan stated that he brought Janmark in with the plan of utilizing him in the top 9

I disagree. Janmark is brutal with the puck. He can skate but he'll do shit with the puck on his stick. Shit. And he couldn't hold on to it to save his life either.
Kampf is much better. Not creative but he's got the hands and tools to hold on to pucks, pass under pressure and play with better players. Hasn't he played with Kane and other top guys before? I think he even centered Kane and didn't look out of place. He'll be just fine on the wing with better players.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I disagree. Janmark is brutal with the puck. He can skate but he'll do shit with the puck on his stick. Shit. And he couldn't hold on to it to save his life either.
Kampf is much better. Not creative but he's got the hands and tools to hold on to pucks, pass under pressure and play with better players. Hasn't he played with Kane and other top guys before? I think he even centered Kane and didn't look out of place. He'll be just fine on the wing with better players.

Kampf is nothing but a 4th liner, he was tried on the third line cause JC thought he had offensive potential, that experiment failed.

I am not a big fan of Janmark to be honest, I am justing letting you know that Stan brought him in with the expectation of being a "glue" piece to one of the top 3 lines...

I much prefer Wallmark.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

So you’re thinking:

DeBrincat-Toews-??
Kampf-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Strome-Shaw
??-Wallmark-??

You don’t want Janmark in the top-9, and have said multiple times that Suter shouldn’t play with Toews. How would you fill out the rest of the group?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kampf is nothing but a 4th liner, he was tried on the third line cause JC thought he had offensive potential, that experiment failed.

I am not a big fan of Janmark to be honest, I am justing letting you know that Stan brought him in with the expectation of being a "glue" piece to one of the top 3 lines...

I much prefer Wallmark.

I don't even think that Kampf has too much offensive potential. But he's got the skill and technique to play with better players. Like Shaw for example. Or Bickell back in the days. Janmark doesn't.

Janmark is a fine 4th liner and PK guy. But if you have better options, and the Blackhawks do, then you shouldn't play him in your top9. Their stats are somehow equally bad but in terms of skill, there are worlds between Wallmark and Janmark. I can tell you that:laugh:

Anyway, Janmark won't glue anything. He's an offensive blackhole and he's soft. Good PK guy and pretty solid against the puck but that's it. If Stan thinks that there's anything more then he just hasn't watched Janmark over his career. Guy is in the league for 5 years now and you'd be foolish to believe that he can do anything more than what he's done until now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So you’re thinking:

DeBrincat-Toews-??
Kampf-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Strome-Shaw
??-Wallmark-??

You don’t want Janmark in the top-9, and have said multiple times that Suter shouldn’t play with Toews. How would you fill out the rest of the group?

Have I said that Suter shouldn't play with Toews? Possible but I don't remember that and I don't know why:laugh:
Yeah, that's about it. But there are too many bodies. Too many good forwards. Something has to give and I don't know how to fill out the lines. Some tough decisions for the coaches to be made:huh:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Have I said that Suter shouldn't play with Toews? Possible but I don't remember that and I don't know why:laugh:
Yeah, that's about it. But there are too many bodies. Too many good forwards. Something has to give and I don't know how to fill out the lines. Some tough decisions for the coaches to be made:huh:

Ya, you ripped people for penciling Suter in with Toews and Kubalik. But regardless, do you think he fits with Toews and DeBrincat?

Also, Janmark on the fourth line with Wallmark then Carpenter on the other wing?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I don't even think that Kampf has too much offensive potential. But he's got the skill and technique to play with better players. Like Shaw for example. Or Bickell back in the days. Janmark doesn't.

Janmark is a fine 4th liner and PK guy. But if you have better options, and the Blackhawks do, then you shouldn't play him in your top9. Their stats are somehow equally bad but in terms of skill, there are worlds between Wallmark and Janmark. I can tell you that:laugh:

Anyway, Janmark won't glue anything. He's an offensive blackhole and he's soft. Good PK guy and pretty solid against the puck but that's it. If Stan thinks that there's anything more then he just hasn't watched Janmark over his career. Guy is in the league for 5 years now and you'd be foolish to believe that he can do anything more than what he's done until now.

Kampf does not have the ability to play the role of a Shaw/Bickell...

I have already stated I am not a fan of Janmark

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe Hagel can win that top-nine spot he’s carving out for Kampf? If Hagel develops properly, he’s a fine top-nine third wheel anyway, right?

That Kampf top9 spot would be just to win faceoffs. You can still double shift Kane there, no problem. I don't think he should be playing top 9 minutes. I'm just saying that, in my view, he's good enough to play with better players.

Dach had, has and will continue to have a shitload of time to work on faceoffs so hopefully that problem solves itself until there's play again...whenever that may be:laugh:...but if not, I think Kampf should be an option because of his faceoff abilities.

Surely, Hagel should be a top9 option. So should many others though. Tough competition.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kurashev>Hagel IMO, better 200 foot player, better offensive skill set and can play any forward position

We all agree that Kurashev's potential is higher but he hasn't played too much wing since turning pro and unless you're sitting Wallmark or trading Strome, there won't be a Center spot for Kurashev. Kurashev needs more work on faceoffs, too. Comparing them on the wing, I think Hagel has the edge. At least today. Kurashev could probably play wing in the NHL now, too but Hagel is the better skater and much more familiar with the position and much more confident scoring goals, at least right now.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Kampf does not have enough skill to play with better players. Hawks fans have all seen him play the last few years. He is a 4th line defensive center.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kampf does not have enough skill to play with better players. Hawks fans have all seen him play the last few years. He is a 4th line defensive center.

I liked what I saw when he played up the lineup. From what I recall he mostly did it while playing Center. I think as a Winger he'd be much better suited to play up the lineup...in a limited role of course.

Reactions: d rake

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I liked what I saw when he played up the lineup. From what I recall he mostly did that when playing Center. I think as a Winger he'd be much better suited to play up the lineup...in a limited role of course.

How much did you see him play? Not much if you think he can play up in the lineup. He needs to stay at center as well. You don’t move good defensive centers who are good at the dot to wing.

Reactions: Brightwing

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How much did you see him play? Not much if you think he can play up in the lineup. He needs to stay at center as well. You don’t move good defensive centers who are good at the dot to wing.

I've seen as many games as anyone here.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well this is a lie. You are not even a Hawks fan....

I do watch all games of many franchises. I have to, for fantasy reasons. If I didn't, in my league I'd fall behind in no time:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad