2020-21 ECHL Season Thread

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Nope, they'd lose the player. Teams only control the rights to unsigned qualified players for one season. After that season passes the player is an ECHL unrestricted free agent.
I'll have to look at the website when I have time. I thought you could still put a non-vet who was qualified but didn't sign on your protected list again at the end of the season and keep their rights. Otherwise, it would be just the same rule as normal, and why would they specifically include that particular rule if they weren't changing it?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I'll have to look at the website when I have time. I thought you could still put a non-vet who was qualified but didn't sign on your protected list again at the end of the season and keep their rights. Otherwise, it would be just the same rule as normal, and why would they specifically include that particular rule if they weren't changing it?

They can, but it's meaningless because they can't be added to the Season-Ending Roster.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it has nothing to do with the protected list, royals... because it's a unique scenario

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ok, folks:

here's a little known ECHL Rule that seems to be selectively enforced:

when Matt Register was suspended the game, even though he's on recall to Iowa right now, the reason he was fined and suspended is he intentionally shot a puck into the crowd....

that's from the blog of the Allen Americans as reported to the Kansas City Mavericks fanbase.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It's not really "a little known ECHL Rule", it's just that the ECHL has that situation specifically spelled out in a section of its own. In the NHL it's covered by rule 23.8, and in the AHL it's rule 23.9. I have seen it called before in all three leagues, but "selectively enforced" certainly would qualify as correct.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's not really "a little known ECHL Rule", it's just that the ECHL has that situation specifically spelled out in a section of its own. In the NHL it's covered by rule 23.8, and in the AHL it's rule 23.9. I have seen it called before in all three leagues, but "selectively enforced" certainly would qualify as correct.
thanks I've never just heard of it being enforced because it's rarely implemented..... but that's why Register was suspended....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
btw, the League's weekly recap show, ECHL Week, has been selectively targeted as spam for violating Facebook's standards practice...

this week would've recapped the Brampton ceasing of operations among other things.....

it can be still viewed through YouTube though

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How many times have they nailed you? :nono:
no, it's what Barry has done and why he posted that this time the recap show isn't allowed to run on Facebook, not sure if it's just the show itself, or the AM Ice photos that they post there....

the AHL never had a show like this online as @210 can expand upon that if he chooses to do so....

it's a page.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
it has nothing to do with the protected list, royals... because it's a unique scenario
Care to explain what they are doing that is unique? 210 seems to think this is the normal procedure in regard to players who were qualified but never signed. I thought they were changing the rule due to the unique nature of the season.

I know in the past it was possible for a team to protect a player's ECHL rights for multiple seasons under certain circustances, even if that player hadn't played in the league for a season or more. I thought this "special" rule was allowing players who might be in that situation to become free agents.

It's not particulary important, I'm just curious about it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Care to explain what they are doing that is unique? 210 seems to think this is the normal procedure in regard to players who were qualified but never signed. I thought they were changing the rule due to the unique nature of the season.

I know in the past it was possible for a team to protect a player's ECHL rights for multiple seasons under certain circustances, even if that player hadn't played in the league for a season or more. I thought this "special" rule was allowing players who might be in that situation to become free agents.

It's not particulary important, I'm just curious about it.
what's unique about the protected list anyway? how many teams actively use the ECHL as a developmental league by defining how many players can be assigned to an affiliated team, but any ECHL Player can be recalled to any AHL Team affiliated or independent as Norfolk is....

you have to realize some of us are used to not dealing with protected lists at end of season, the way the AHL has changed in 20-25 years.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
2 more suspensions and an update to a previous suspension;

Fehd (Utah)/Wardley (Wheeling) Suspended and fined; 1 game;

Rauter suspension upgraded from 3 to 4 games

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So is that where all of the franchises that fold this coming summer will be listed for sale? :wg:
merchandise most likely, a clearinghouse of sorts..... similar to what you'd see the teams offer through stores, etc.... or in the fans' case trading merchandise for other merchandise.

solely a marketing contract for the ECHL....

Reactions: Atlantian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad