2020-21 ECHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Komets capture ECHL championship for first time
33 minutes ago (July 2, 2021)

fw-2021-champions

FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The Fort Wayne Komets captured the 2021 Kelly Cup championship on Friday with a 2-1 win over the South Carolina Stingrays in Game 4 of the 2021 Kelly Cup Finals in front of a capacity crowd of 10,477 fans at Memorial Coliseum, marking the sixth largest crowd in Riley/Cup Finals history.

Fort Wayne, which was appearing in the Kelly Cup Finals for the first time in its nine ECHL seasons, has captured 10 championships in its 69 seasons of existence across the ECHL, Central Hockey League, United Hockey League and International Hockey League.

Komets’ forward Stephen Harper earned the June M. Kelly Playoffs Most Valuable Player Award. Harper, who scored two goals in the Game 4 victory, shared the playoff lead with 13 points and was tied for second with six goals.

Brandon Hawkins led Fort Wayne in the Kelly Cup Finals with four goals and seven points while Cole Ully paced South Carolina with five points (1g-4a). ...

Reactions: Roadhog

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I can’t believe they gave the MVP to Harper. Nellis’ defensive play outweights Harper’ slightly better PPG. What a steal

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I can’t believe they gave the MVP to Harper. Nellis’ defensive play outweights Harper’ slightly better PPG. What a steal
That's why I nominated Dylan Ferguson for MVP, for backstopping their Cup run. Though I definitely see the case for Nellis. But they've ALL got a Patrick J. Kelly Cup on their resumes now, and that goes a longer way than a June M. Kelly trophy - with no offense intended toward the Mrs..

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That's why I nominated Dylan Ferguson for MVP, for backstopping their Cup run. Though I definitely see the case for Nellis. But they've ALL got a Patrick J. Kelly Cup on their resumes now, and that goes a longer way than a June M. Kelly trophy - with no offense intended toward the Mrs..

The response of the crowd to Harper getting the MVP was tepid-to be charitable. Ferguson was the People's Choice and it wasn't even close. Nellis and Harper both had 13 points in the playoffs. 3 others had 11 and one had 10. Harper got the 2 big goals in game 7, but certainly wasn't the offensive standout over the course of the playoffs.

Always cool to see the Cup awarded. The guys are always so happy and the other team is depressed. Great to see long time Cincinnati Cyclones player Justin Vaive get a trophy along with many Komets veterans who had never won a team championship. Hats off to Coach Ben Boudreau (son of Bruce) for his Ring. Dad won the Kelly Cup as a coach in 1999 with the Mississippi Sea Wolves.

The Komets are really part of the fabric of Fort Wayne and the Championship matters more than it would to a Cincinnati or Orlando or, even, Charleston SC.

The Komets were a well built, gritty team. They had (obviously) what it took to win when it counted the most. The Frankes were brilliant in waiting until the 12th hour to start the season from a financial and competitive standpoint. They lost the least possible money and the players didn't have the wear and tear that most have after a 72 game season and were fresh for the playoffs. No asterisk in my mind-just taking advantage of the situation like Tampa is with their LTIR $20 million over the cap roster.

I've got 2 game 5 tickets that I have to return to the Allen County Coliseum box office within a year to get a refund. Can't credit my credit card or I can't send them in via mail/FedEx.:rolleyes: Gives me an excuse for an early FTW road trip next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog and JMCx4

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
The response of the crowd to Harper getting the MVP was tepid-to be charitable. Ferguson was the People's Choice and it wasn't even close. Nellis and Harper both had 13 points in the playoffs. 3 others had 11 and one had 10. Harper got the 2 big goals in game 7, but certainly wasn't the offensive standout over the course of the playoffs.

Always cool to see the Cup awarded. The guys are always so happy and the other team is depressed. Great to see long time Cincinnati Cyclones player Justin Vaive get a trophy along with many Komets veterans who had never won a team championship. Hats off to Coach Ben Boudreau (son of Bruce) for his Ring. Dad won the Kelly Cup as a coach in 1999 with the Mississippi Sea Wolves.

The Komets are really part of the fabric of Fort Wayne and the Championship matters more than it would to a Cincinnati or Orlando or, even, Charleston SC.

The Komets were a well built, gritty team. They had (obviously) what it took to win when it counted the most. The Frankes were brilliant in waiting until the 12th hour to start the season from a financial and competitive standpoint. They lost the least possible money and the players didn't have the wear and tear that most have after a 72 game season and were fresh for the playoffs. No asterisk in my mind-just taking advantage of the situation like Tampa is with their LTIR $20 million over the cap roster.

I've got 2 game 5 tickets that I have to return to the Allen County Coliseum box office within a year to get a refund. Can't credit my credit card or I can't send them in via mail/FedEx.:rolleyes: Gives me an excuse for an early FTW road trip next year.

That’s not the feeling I had yesterday in the crowd. I spoke with many people who could not believe how Nellis was robbed with his team leading 8 goals. It was infuriating to say the least.

You could see during his interview on Fox after the game how great of a teammate he is. He did not look bothered at all by the Harper selection even though it was not deserving.

I definitely could see him in Trois-Rivières next year leading their new team.

Reactions: Roadhog and JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I've got 2 game 5 tickets that I have to return to the Allen County Coliseum box office within a year to get a refund. Can't credit my credit card or I can't send them in via mail/FedEx.:rolleyes: Gives me an excuse for an early FTW road trip next year.
Thank you for your contribution to The Frankes' roster rebuilding campaign for 2021-22.

Reactions: Atlantian

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That’s not the feeling I had yesterday in the crowd. I spoke with many people who could not believe how Nellis was robbed with his team leading 8 goals. It was infuriating to say the least.

You could see during his interview on Fox after the game how great of a teammate he is. He did not look bothered at all by the Harper selection even though it was not deserving.

I was just going by the cheers that "Fergy" was getting throughout the 4 games that I saw. I'd like to know who had the votes before I'd comment any further on the MVP. I will say that I saw Harper on an interview when I got home last night and he was very humble about the award and deferred to the team accomplishment.

Congrats on the Championship!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Things that you'll never see again.
Cincinnati Cyclones Protected List
Cincinnati Cyclones – Daniel Fritz, Johnny Coughlin, Jack Van Boekel, Sean Giles, Connor Schmidt, Derek Pratt, Ryan Obuchowski, Yushiroh Hirano, Bryson Cianfrone, Ben Johnson, Jason Tackett, Thomas Beretta, Justin Vaive, Jesse Schultz, Mike Gornall, Taylor Crunk, Tyler Busch, Mason Mitchell, Matt McLeod, Chris Crane, Graham Knott

Vaive leaves Cyclones and plays for Fort Wayne and wins Kelly Cup but will be protected property of the Cyclones.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world:laugh:

Reactions: JMCx4

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Komets President Michael Franke reflected Friday night on the way the team pulled through the pandemic with more than 770 COVID-19 tests administered all negative "Never had a positive case this year."

Fergy22

Nov 9, 2003
Ft Wayne

Why would Nellis be in Three Rivers?

Fort Wayne Komets – Robbie Beydoun, Justin Kapelmaster, Stefanos Lekkas, Nick Boka, Marcus McIvor, Blake Siebenaler, Matt Murphy, Olivier Galipeau, Morgan Adams-Moisan, Marco Roy, Matt Boudens, Anthony Petruzzelli, A.J. Jenks, Stephen Harper, Zach Pochiro, Shawn Szydlowski, Anthony Nellis, Oliver Cooper, Shawn St-Amant, Brady Shaw

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Congratulations to the Komets for finally winning. That's what they've been trying to do for years.

But, as a Fuel fan, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jaded.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
With all the uncertainty that happened in the last year, from not knowing if we would even have a season to dropping half the league, I believe the ECHL did an amazing job handling the pandemic. While I do believe that some individual teams did not handle it well (i.e. the Gladiators), I believe the league as a whole handled each challenge about as well as they could and were transparent about it the entire time. The fact that we will be starting next season with more teams than we had before the pandemic says a lot as well. Overall, I believe the league has handled each challenge well, and I hope they continue to do so as we inch closer to the 21-22 season. Also, congrats to the Komets on finally winning a Kelly Cup. Not the team I wanted to win, but very glad it wasn't the Stingrays or Everblades.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A more thoughtful look back @ the 2020-21 ECHL season from the expanding Field Pass Hockey site ...
Five Things We Learned From This ECHL Season

by Matthew Harding
July 9, 2021

WICHITA, Kan. – The confetti, champagne, and streamers have been cleaned up, Kelly Cup skated, and the Fort Wayne Komets have been crowned champions for the first time in their ECHL stint. Thus ends one of the oddest and yet, most remarkable seasons, in league history.

As we prepare for a dizzying offseason full of player signings – the 13 teams who sat out last season are coming back online – here are five things we learned about the recently completed season. ...

Read more at: Five Things We Learned From This ECHL Season

Reactions: Atlantian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->