Pre-Game Talk: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche Preseason Thread

Which new bloke are you most looking forward to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But if Joe is asking him to waive his NTC that means Joe wants him out.

Almost certainly not true.

Trading such a respected vet like EJ right now, after how he stuck with the team, and hasn't won a Cup yet, would have a massive impact on team chemistry.

Joe's not an idiot. He's not going to risk pissing off the Avs leaders like Landy and Nate, who are buds with EJ, right before the season they're best suited to win the Cup.

And to make it worse, the only teams that could afford him (even at 50%) are bottom dwellers. So he'd be trading EJ from a Cup contender to a bottom dweller.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Trading such a respected vet like EJ right now, after how he stuck with the team, and hasn't won a Cup yet, would have a massive impact on team chemistry.

Joe's not an idiot. He's not going to risk pissing off the Avs leaders like Landy and Nate, who are buds with EJ, right before the season they're best suited to win the Cup.

And to make it worse, the only teams that could afford him (even at 50%) are bottom dwellers. So he'd be trading EJ from a Cup contender to a bottom dweller.
Lol why do people want to get rid of him right now? After the season sure you have to explore it but today not a chance.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017

I'm not saying that what's quoted is what is happening, it was just a response to the person I initially quoted. I don't think there is any bad blood between EJ and management, I don't even think they are asking him to waive his NMC, I was just saying that if it came down to Joe asking EJ to waive his NMC it would likely be because he is on the way out.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But if Joe is asking him to waive his NTC that means Joe wants him out.

No, in fact if he's asking him to waive the intention is likely the complete opposite of that. If he refuses to waive before the expansion draft, which I read Francois Beauchemin reportedly refused to do, then in order to free up that protection slot, Sakic will have no choice but to buy EJ out...which of course is what happened with Beauchemin. If he waives and isn't claimed, then he stays AND the Avs are able to protect three to four defensemen without having to waste a slot on him.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Hey guys - will Byram be playing NHL games any time soon? And who would he be paired with if he is?

Took a flyer on him in my fantasy league. Thanks in advance!

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
No, in fact if he's asking him to waive the intention is likely the complete opposite of that. If he refuses to waive before the expansion draft, which I read Francois Beauchemin reportedly refused to do, then in order to free up that protection slot, Sakic will have no choice but to buy EJ out...which of course is what happened with Beauchemin. If he waives and isn't claimed, then he stays AND the Avs are able to protect three to four defensemen without having to waste a slot on him.

I actually did not know that, very informative thank you. I also think that given those circumstances in this market EJ would likely clear waivers and that would be a very ideal situation heading into the expansion draft.

This is why I love this place, surrounded by people who know the league intricacies better than I and who've shared the same 15 years of disappointment that i have.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Hey guys - will Byram be playing NHL games any time soon? And who would he be paired with if he is?

I suspect he won't get that many games this season. If he does, he'll likely be paired with EJ, but there's also Cole and Ryan Graves

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually did not know that, very informative thank you. I also think that given those circumstances in this market EJ would likely clear waivers and that would be a very ideal situation heading into the expansion draft.

This is why I love this place, surrounded by people who know the league intricacies better than I and who've shared the same 15 years of disappointment that i have.

Just to clarify further--EJ would not have to clear any sort of waivers if he waives his NMC--he would just be eligible to be selected by Seattle in the Expansion Draft. And while there's a possibility he'd get selected, I highly doubt it.

FTR I don't think a buyout is outside the realm of possibility--just depends on how well he does this season. I still think it's unlikely, but not impossible.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He starts practicing on Saturday and when he plays he will almost 100% be playing with Graves on the 3rd pairing.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I’m just hopping back on HF again since the end of last season, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

But as far as EJ goes, wasn’t it speculated last year that his injury could carry over into the start of this season?

I know Bednar said everyone was healthy the day before camp, but any chance it’s just his previous injury lingering?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I’m just hopping back on HF again since the end of last season, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

But as far as EJ goes, wasn’t it speculated last year that his injury could carry over into the start of this season?

I know Bednar said everyone was healthy the day before camp, but any chance it’s just his previous injury lingering?
We don't know. Nobody but the Avs and EJ know. They'll only say he was unfit to play. However, reading the tea leaves, it has to be COVID related. He hasn't even been in the building until today. 3 of his teammates all were unfit to play for the same number of days, and came back seemingly just fine on the same day. Landy sort of gave it away with his talk about following protocol when he returned.

If EJ had COVID, and was symptomatic, he could still be wore down and not ready to practice just yet. Some people say they fell worn out from it for 2-3 weeks after symptoms subside. He'll probably start practicing here in the next few days, and be ready next week.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not saying that what's quoted is what is happening, it was just a response to the person I initially quoted. I don't think there is any bad blood between EJ and management, I don't even think they are asking him to waive his NMC, I was just saying that if it came down to Joe asking EJ to waive his NMC it would likely be because he is on the way out.

No, I knew you were just speculating based on the comment. I didn't think you were saying it was true.

I just wouldn't put any stock into that comment personally, unless something else comes out to support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad