Pre-Game Talk: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche Preseason Thread

Which new bloke are you most looking forward to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So hot right now.gif

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Like someone else mentioned a few nights ago there is no way we can put Girard in top 2 D in playoffs. He is really good and smart with a stick, passing and game transition but when Girard is facing open top line, the best players, he is just not that complete top 1 line Dman. He can be beat by a bigger forward just by the size advantage, he is not killing penalties or blocking shots like E.J does. Maybe we should keep Girard on the second line D. Either way, if there is another good Dman in next years draft, we can draft another one. Barron and another good prospect D would be awesome.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You're saying that like he's talking about outdated stuff. The last 3 cup winners had oversized defense. We are the one who have to reverse the trend.

This would be more of a concern for me if none of the Avs puck-movers had any bite to their game. Fortunately both Makar and Byram do. Girard doesn’t, but makes up for it with brilliance in other areas.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
You're saying that like he's talking about outdated stuff. The last 3 cup winners had oversized defense. We are the one who have to reverse the trend.
We tried with Graves, Zadorov, Cole and EJ. Didn't go so well.

Of course, having a big, rangy, physical defenseman on the top pair is what all teams want. But I like our chances with Makar leading the way. Who would be a perfect partner for him in the league? (Not including Hedman)

Slavin or Provorov probably.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
We tried with Graves, Zadorov, Cole and EJ. Didn't go so well.

Of course, having a big, rangy, physical defenseman on the top pair is what all teams want. But I like our chances with Makar leading the way. Who would be a perfect partner for him in the league? (Not including Hedman)

Slavin or Provorov probably.

Byram.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Like someone else mentioned a few nights ago there is no way we can put Girard in top 2 D in playoffs. He is really good and smart with a stick, passing and game transition but when Girard is facing open top line, the best players, he is just not that complete top 1 line Dman. He can be beat by a bigger forward just by the size advantage, he is not killing penalties or blocking shots like E.J does. Maybe we should keep Girard on the second line D. Either way, if there is another good Dman in next years draft, we can draft another one. Barron and another good prospect D would be awesome.
Girard did play against opponents top lines in the playoffs and did fine for the most part. The only exception was when Benn took liberties by making idiotic runs at him and tried to knee him Matt Cooke-style with no call from the refs.

As for drafting Dmen, we're clearly well stocked on the blueline for years to come so I'd be surprised if our next 1st round pick is a Dman - if we even keep that pick at all.

Reactions: MarkT

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Girard did play against opponents top lines in the playoffs and did fine for the most part. The only exception was when Benn took liberties by making idiotic runs at him and tried to knee him Matt Cooke-style with no call from the refs.

As for drafting Dmen, we're clearly well stocked on the blueline for years to come so I'd be surprised if our next 1st round pick is a Dman - if we even keep that pick at all.

At this point the writing is already on the wall, that if even 3/4s of the Avs D prospects pan out there isn’t room for everyone. If they like a Dman from the ‘21 draft just as much as anyone in their current group why not go for him? They’ll still just be taking their pick and dealing the rest as needed anyways.

Agreed on the last bit though.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Avs fans, what are the news about Martin Kaut? Any chance he makes the team at some point?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs fans, what are the news about Martin Kaut? Any chance he makes the team at some point?
Kaut will be on the taxi squad to start the season but will probably be in the lineup on a regular basis. He got his 9 game trial last March and did very well so the expectation is that he'll burn the first year of his ELC this season.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
When was the last time a team was as heavy a pre-season favorite to win the Cup as the Avs are this year? It's not something I've paid attention to until this year. But 12 of 15 NHL.com writers picked the Avs, 63% of The Athletic writers picked the Avs, and they are the majority pick on every site I've looked at that's published picks so far. Not that it means much when it all comes down to it, but I don't remember a team being this heavily favored in pre-season before, at least in the cap era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad