Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh, awesome! That pic I was looking for, The Athletic used it for their Quinn article.

GettyImages-1231558315-1024x683.jpg

Rangers fire coach David Quinn: Why GM Chris Drury did it, what it achieves and what comes next

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
To be fair, Finnish is a very blunt language and what he said can be interpreted in a few different ways.

@UncleRisto is the translation pretty accurate?

It's pretty accurate. The beginning should be more like:

"Here's the thing, you won't see me at the Worlds. It's been such a season that I just can't play a single hockey game anymore"

The guy sounds frustrated and disappointed. Maybe mentally tired.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Laine comments are... interesting.

These are not the kinds of things you want to hear from a guy you hope can become a team leader and top player.

Nothing new with him--he's always been extremely blunt with his comments. I remember him saying hockey wasn't very fun when he was slumping in Winnipeg.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As a Finnish guy, the Laine comments are big Fn nothingburger. Some lost in translation, some just the typical Laine personality. He hated the season the way it went for the team and himself, that's it. He will sign in Columbus.

As for the Rangers and DQ firing, I'm following them as my 2nd team because of Kakko and this was my piece on the main boards:
If you look at the Rangers this season, I don't think you can really say they underperformed considering expectations. They were expected to fight for the 4th place in a tough division, and they did that. One could even argue, that without covid-Zibanejad and the Panarin situation, they could've actually made it.

Now looking beyond just the results, DQ was brought in especially to develop the kids. Looking at them today vs when they arrived, has that really happened. I don't think so. Like I said earlier, I do give him some credit of making the kids play responsibly in their own end, making them defensively competent. But let's face it, it's not really what you want from your 1st, 2nd and 9th overall picks. Yes, they are supposed to make some offense by themselves, but not when they are mostly playing in the 3rd or 4th line with little or no PP time. DQ had the opportunity to make balanced lines with mixing the kids and the vets, and he didn't. Yes, Kakko and Laf were given the odd opportunities to play with the vets in some games, but mostly they didn't. Only later in the season did he put Laf in the 1st line and guess what? He took off.

Most importantly, is he the coach who can make the Rangers make the next step? I think very few people were confident in that. He's still a young coach in the NHL level, and during his time with the Rangers he really hasn't adjusted his style at all. The Rangers really need to have a different look, especially with the kids.

One more thing to ponder, especially with the Rangers fans who are on edge if there are going to be major roster changes with the kids included. Is it possible that the reason Jeff Gorton and John Davidson were fired because they really stood up to Quinn, and wanted him to stay for the next season? Yes, the timings of the firings do raise some questions. Why wasn't DQ let go at the same time etc. But, Drury clearly wanted to make those exit talks with the players and I think even if it was decided that DQ is going to, to have him and his staff to be interviewed along to learn about the players etc.

Hopefully Rangers hire Gallant or Hartley. That's my opinion. One interesting thing is some rumor out there said they would be interviewing a Swedish coach. I believe when I see it.

With Dolan who knows. Maybe they trade away Kakko, Buch and Kravtsov and hire Babcock... Hopefully Drury knows what he's doing.

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
As a Finnish guy, the Laine comments are big Fn nothingburger. Some lost in translation, some just the typical Laine personality. He hated the season the way it went for the team and himself, that's it. He will sign in Columbus.

As for the Rangers and DQ firing, I'm following them as my 2nd team because of Kakko and this was my piece on the main boards:

Hopefully Rangers hire Gallant or Hartley. That's my opinion. One interesting thing is some rumor out there said they would be interviewing a Swedish coach. I believe when I see it.

With Dolan who knows. Maybe they trade away Kakko, Buch and Kravtsov and hire Babcock... Hopefully Drury knows what he's doing.

Agreed with your views on Laine's comments.

Side note: I'd love to see Jukka Jalonen become a head coach in NHL someday. Don't believe it will happen tho.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Barrie just passed Fox with that OT assist and he should end up leading all D in scoring. Happy for him and hope he gets paid this offseason.
He also got a great assist on Caufield's goal. Tape to tape from behind his own net :laugh:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If only Barrie was half decent defensively, he'd be in Norris conversation

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I'll fall over in my chair if Drury hires Hartley. Those two did NOT get along near the end there in Colorado. Obviously that was nearly 20 years ago, but things got ugly IMO, which eventually led to Drury being traded. That wasn't the only reason of course, but I think it definitely exacerbated things.

Gaaaaaaahhhhh...if they hire Babcock...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ottawa has some real gems… Norris is one of the better ones.
Finished the year only 1 pt behind Tkachuk for top scorer on the team.

Ïf they play their cards right Ottawa is a future powerhouse.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good for the Sens and their fans. They’re building something there and had some good moments this season. That’s despite getting poor goaltending until Gustavsson stepped up towards the end.

Dorion has done a good job of getting that back together after they hit rock bottom. The Murray trade was questionable/bad from the moment they made it and I don’t know about Sanderson over Drysdale but still some good moves overall, especially with the Karlsson trade. I wonder if they’re a team that seriously considers that Swedish goalie in the top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad