2020-21 Around the League part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There's a picture floating around on Twitter of Quinn's first game back shouting something at players on the bench and you can just see the look on Kreider's face...:laugh: I think that run there without him sealed his fate. Even BU alum Drury said nope, he's done.

He very well may have been the worst coach in the NHL this year outside of Ralph Krueger. He's THAT bad. The only reason he had any success in the NHL was because the goaltending and Panarin were bailing his ass out. He should limp back to the collegiate ranks and stay there.
Agreed. It cant be mere coincidence that all their kids all looked average to terrible under Quinn.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Agreed. It cant be mere coincidence that all their kids all looked average to terrible under Quinn.

He's everything (for the most part) that Jared Bednar isn't. Benching players for every mistake, implementing a system that doesn't really drive play or generate offense, and mishandling young players left and right. I never thought Lias Andersson was a good pick and he definitely is a defiant sort of kid, but the way the Rangers handled THAT situation was beyond stupid. Quinn played a big part in that. Good riddance.

Now, if NY hires Messier...:laugh:

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's everything (for the most part) that Jared Bednar isn't. Benching players for every mistake, implementing a system that doesn't really drive play or generate offense, and mishandling young players left and right. I never thought Lias Andersson was a good pick and he definitely is a defiant sort of kid, but the way the Rangers handled THAT situation was beyond stupid. Quinn played a big part in that. Good riddance.

Now, if NY hires Messier...:laugh:
The first name to came to mind when I heard Quinn was getting fired was....Patrick Roy. I don't know why. Maybe a combination of Roy looking for work + Big Market + Chris Drury the boss.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Not gonna lie this hit me harder than I thought. I became a fan after the glory years and was only 10when Stastny joined the league. He quickly became my favorite Av and looking back now probably was my first favorite player as a kid. Still never got why we let him walk and I’m sure a lot of us share the same sentiment. One of the guys I want to see win a cup the most if it’s not us winning it.

Was also very sad to see him go as I became a hockey fan rooting for his father Peter (who I later met in Brussels in 2008). I thought the Avs did all they could to keep him, not trading him at the deadline, but it was written on all walls Paul, borned in Saint Louis would leave the Avs to play there for the Blues, can’t fault the Avs, they were just a little naive.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The first name to came to mind when I heard Quinn was getting fired was....Patrick Roy. I don't know why. Maybe a combination of Roy looking for work + Big Market + Chris Drury the boss.

Y'know...I definitely do not see Chris Drury and Patrick Roy living harmoniously together within the cozy confines of Madison Square Garden. :laugh: If the rumors are true, and I'm not saying they are, then Drury not only left Denver under less-than-stellar terms with management, he irked some players as well. No idea if Roy was one of them, I seem to recall reading that him and Foote got into it during practice once. Whatever the case I just don't see that one happening. Rangers are gonna go with the biggest name on the market they can--I'm guessing Gallant, given his track record in Vegas, but we'll see.

Roy most definitely wants that Habs gig. Outside of that I'm really not sure unless by some miracle an NHL club pulls up roots and relocates to Quebec City. Beyond that I'm not sure, but I sure hope we see him back in the NHL in some fashion.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Was also very sad to see him go as I became a hockey fan rooting for his father Peter (who I later met in Brussels in 2008). I thought the Avs did all they could to keep him, not trading him at the deadline, but it was written on all walls Paul, borned in Saint Louis would leave the Avs to play there for the Blues, can’t fault the Avs, they were just a little naive.
Plus trading the synergy away a few years prior pretty much ended the Avs and Pauls relationship it seemed. I don't regret coining the Casper nickname for him because he was a ghost at times especially on the road but Paul was such a smart hockey player that you don't notice it until hes gone. Saad is kinda like that this season where you don't appreciate it until its not there.

Reactions: Belgican

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Y'know...I definitely do not see Chris Drury and Patrick Roy living harmoniously together within the cozy confines of Madison Square Garden. :laugh: If the rumors are true, and I'm not saying they are, then Drury not only left Denver under less-than-stellar terms with management, he irked some players as well. No idea if Roy was one of them, I seem to recall reading that him and Foote got into it during practice once. Whatever the case I just don't see that one happening. Rangers are gonna go with the biggest name on the market they can--I'm guessing Gallant, given his track record in Vegas, but we'll see.

Roy most definitely wants that Habs gig. Outside of that I'm really not sure unless by some miracle an NHL club pulls up roots and relocates to Quebec City. Beyond that I'm not sure, but I sure hope we see him back in the NHL in some fashion.
The smart thing for Dru to do is get his hands on Gallant. That to me seems like the biggest no brainer. Roy in Montreal makes sense aswell because I think Ducharme is a little in over his head right now.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Plus trading the synergy away a few years prior pretty much ended the Avs and Pauls relationship it seemed. I don't regret coining the Casper nickname for him because he was a ghost at times especially on the road but Paul was such a smart hockey player that you don't notice it until hes gone. Saad is kinda like that this season where you don't appreciate it until its not there.

I bristle whenever I hear/read that nickname. Not remotely accurate of his play or contribution to the team. The worst thing you can say about Paul Stastny is that he was not a superstar player who could carry a team. But he was in his prime a legit top line two-way center who was reliable and effective in all situations.

Sorry that he didn't carry a team that literally wasn't even trying during most of his tenure in Colorado. And even when they were, that was an old team on the brink of collapse anyway.

Things evolved differently and I don't regret the way they went in hindsight, but fans in the know should be more appreciative of his time in Denver. He was a phenomenal talent.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I bristle whenever I hear/read that nickname. Not remotely accurate of his play or contribution to the team. The worst thing you can say about Paul Stastny is that he was not a superstar player who could carry a team. But he was in his prime a legit top line two-way center who was reliable and effective in all situations.

Sorry that he didn't carry a team that literally wasn't even trying during most of his tenure in Colorado. And even when they were, that was an old team on the brink of collapse anyway.

Things evolved differently and I don't regret the way they went in hindsight, but fans in the know should be more appreciative of his time in Denver. He was a phenomenal talent.

I kinda cringe at it aswell when I see it still mentioned around here from time to time haha. That's my legacy. Hasbro has size queen I have Casper, Avs_19 has Taylor Hall and CreamSoda has Jose Theodore thong.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Back in the old days when I wan an angsty teen I would hate on Stastny. I regret it, but $6.6 million was a huge amount of money ten years ago for his services.

Reactions: Azrael89

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Back in the old days when I wan an angsty teen I would hate on Stastny. I regret it, but $6.6 million was a huge amount of money ten years ago for his services.

He was worth it and then some. But then the Avs just decided to cut their spending everywhere else and become a salary floor team, all the while not actually building toward anything.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I need G2P to come back so he can make me a new Avatar.

I'm still surprised he got banned--he was totally even-keeled in this forum. I guess he trolled some other places on here and got the axe based on what I've read over the years.

Dude was undisputed King of the GIF until Papa Ginger showed up.

Reactions: Avsboy

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I'm still surprised he got banned--he was totally even-keeled in this forum. I guess he trolled some other places on here and got the axe based on what I've read over the years.

Dude was undisputed King of the GIF until Papa Ginger showed up.

I miss those days with G2P, the Avalounge was poppin every night

Reactions: RockLobster

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it’s silver now

200.gif

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Laine comments are... interesting.

These are not the kinds of things you want to hear from a guy you hope can become a team leader and top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad