Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
yeah, I had the same thought — work super hard to catch up and then have the goalies blow it over and over again is bruuuutal. I mean that was a poor play by Burns but still.
yeah, I had the same thought — work super hard to catch up and then have the goalies blow it over and over again is bruuuutal. I mean that was a poor play by Burns but still.

The goalies gave up two bad goals but the defense wasn’t good on one of them and it wasn’t good on two others. All of it can be better except the goaltending because these guys have shown they can’t be better except for the occasional game.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
So basically we lose a top 6/line winger that is only 24 that has scored 0.6 PPG while being good defensively and playing a power forward game to clear 6M of cap space on a team that isn’t going anywhere and has very little in the system (nothing outside of Melnichuk) in goal. Honestly I’d rather keep Jones and get a few more high picks until Melnichuk is ready.

Meier is a net negative for his potential contract. Do you really want to pay anything more than 6 for his production? He has a 10 million qualifying offer after his 4-24 expires. Who wants to pay him 10 million per?

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Meier is a net negative for his potential contract. Do you really want to pay anything more than 6 for his production? He has a 10 million qualifying offer after his 4-24 expires. Who wants to pay him 10 million per?
Without producing more than he is, no one. But assuming he's realistic in his expectations he can be a top six forward here for a while.

If he really wants 10 million or more than trade him either to rid us of Vlassic or in a trade to bring back assets. But we aren't there quite yet.

Reactions: themelkman

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
The goalies gave up two bad goals but the defense wasn’t good on one of them and it wasn’t good on two others. All of it can be better except the goaltending because these guys have shown they can’t be better except for the occasional game.

I agree. With the back-and-forth style of the last 3-4 games, it's no longer about the goalies being perfect. It's just next man up in net and hope that the next offensive rush goes their way. (And I think that's been the team's attitude too).

Obviously, a lot of things could improve. But short of serious roster moves, the easiest hacks are:
1. try to develop playmakers
2. try to find new tricks/frills to generate offense
3. don't be Soft Jose (embrace the physical aspect of the game)
4. active stick defense
5. possibly (but unlikely) find/groom a top4 D and give Burns more forward minutes

All are more likely than Jones/Dubnyk suddenly developing cat reflexes and xray vision.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm sure they know he's done. It's just a matter of the fact that there's not much they can do about it right now.
I kinda wonder what its like for Jones to know his career is essentially over but he's stuck being here with the reputation of being the most overpaid goalie and with the way things are going, he might go down as the worst NHL goalie of all time. I'm sure the money helps but he's gonna have to deal with the media derision for the next 3 years.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I kinda wonder what its like for Jones to know his career is essentially over but he's stuck being here with the reputation of being the most overpaid goalie and with the way things are going, he might go down as the worst NHL goalie of all time. I'm sure the money helps but he's gonna have to deal with the media derision for the next 3 years.
I don't think he makes it 3 more years with the Sharks.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It's San Jose. Media for the most part doesn't care.

Reactions: tealzamboni

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

I would gladly accept that media derision for $5 million a year.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We're doomed
Probably, but I prefer to enjoy the parts of the ride that I can and wait to panic until it's actually necessary. You never know what might happen. I don't know about you but I'm not doomed if they struggle. I just watch less games.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Merkley looks bigger. He needs to get inside position or tie up his man better on that though. Nice breakout though.
Yup.
Merkley had his man, tied up his stick to the point it was parallel with the ice
Merkley was completely out of position and had his stick in the guys waist. Anytime a defenseman has an opposing player between them and the goalie, they are out of position. There's a reason he's not getting called up.

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Probably, but I prefer to enjoy the parts of the ride that I can and wait to panic until it's actually necessary. You never know what might happen. I don't know about you but I'm not doomed if they struggle. I just watch less games.
I'm pretty sure I'll watch at about the same level. But from my house

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Oh watching it again you're right.
Except not really. The guys stick wasn't actually tied up because he moved it where he wanted right away despite merkleys stick. Reality is that if the puck went to Merkley's guy he would have likely got a hooking penalty. Also, why wasn't Merkley aware of the 2nd player coming in who received the pass. Seems like that all started with a bad defensive breakdown further up the ice.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Except not really. The guys stick wasn't actually tied up because he moved it where he wanted right away despite merkleys stick. Reality is that if the puck went to Merkley's guy he would have likely got a hooking penalty. Also, why wasn't Merkley aware of the 2nd player coming in who received the pass. Seems like that all started with a bad defensive breakdown further up the ice.

Are we talking about the replay posted? There were 2 players in front. It looks like Merkley tied 1 player up but the other player was right there too. Kind of a weird play. Unless I’m blind? Lol

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Are we talking about the replay posted? There were 2 players in front. It looks like Merkley tied 1 player up but the other player was right there too. Kind of a weird play. Unless I’m blind? Lol
I explained in a more recent post. He had his stick in there but the guy was able to move his stick at will so not really tied up and Merk was on the wrong side of the guy anyway. That looked like rec level pickup defensive play. Weak as hell.

Oh wait you even replied to my more recent comment where I mention the 2nd player coming in. Did you read the whole comment you replied to? Not saying this to be a jerk. I sometimes reply after reading part of a comment too.

Reactions: jarr92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA