Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
And redo the trade. Would rather have K'andre Miller than JBD and Tychonick.
Lets be serious if we never found a trade partner we would have selected JBD at #22. Which, whatever in Trent I trust, there will always be somebody "better" that you could have picked at any given position. I appreciate that he knows what he wants and goes for it.

Personnel opinion here but sometimes I wonder how much more important a prospects post draft development opportunity is than how much skill they showed in there draft -1 year. It seems with all the legacy players we go after and the USNTDP/ NCAA route that our scouting team holds some stock in this concept as well.

Being from the east coast Canada most of the QMJHL are pretty small budget and living on corporate handouts. Not that I am behind the seems but I would believe that most of the development the players make is on there own shoulders to figure out. Now also not that I am around these teams but I don't feel that is the case with the London knights or UND.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lets be serious if we never found a trade partner we would have selected JBD at #22. Which, whatever in Trent I trust, there will always be somebody "better" that you could have picked at any given position. I appreciate that he knows what he wants and goes for it.

Personnel opinion here but sometimes I wonder how much more important a prospects post draft development opportunity is than how much skill they showed in there draft -1 year. It seems with all the legacy players we go after and the USNTDP/ NCAA route that our scouting team holds some stock in this concept as well.

Being from the east coast Canada most of the QMJHL are pretty small budget and living on corporate handouts. Not that I am behind the seems but I would believe that most of the development the players make is on there own shoulders to figure out. Now also not that I am around these teams but I don't feel that is the case with the London knights or UND.
Definitely not the case with most teams in the Q.

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
I can speak for all those teams, Saint John and Moncton are 2 extremely well regarded player development teams, Moncton one of the richest in the CHL.
Moncton Is funded by the Irving family, Hence the "living on corporate handouts" as I said earlier.

Also you missed the point I was trying to make in my second paragraph.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Moncton Is funded by the Irving family, Hence the "living on corporate handouts" as I said earlier.

Also you missed the point I was trying to make in my second paragraph.
That’s not corporate handouts, that’s a rich owner.

Unsure what your point was then, in no way are kids expected to develop on their own, every single Q team has player development coaches and programs, along with their NHL teams guidance.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
That’s not corporate handouts, that’s a rich owner.

Unsure what your point was then, in no way are kids expected to develop on their own, every single Q team has player development coaches and programs, along with their NHL teams guidance.
I agree, I am sure some paths offer more development than others. When I heard what The UND boys were offered between periods of there 5 OT game it became clear that there is more resources there than with some/ most Canadian junior teams.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Rookie camp starting soon I guess.

September 10th is the start date for rookie camp. That was confirmed by Chandler Romeo as well as Crooshank and Sokolov. There haven't been much details released but they will be playing at least one rookie tournament game against the Habs on September 18th. There may be other games but so far none have been announced.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Those rookies are going to come in hammering - to bad they won’t be able displace any of the dead weight …

A 21 year old Yegor will be better than our dead weight VERY soon. Tick tock…

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Miller was rated higher by Mackenzie than JBD and Tychonik. Time will tell which is the better NHL D man. Right now, Miller is in the lead.

Reactions: Icelevel

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
And Chaz Lucius was ranked higher than Tyler Boucher... that isn't my point. We traded down and if we didn't find a trade partner we likely would have taken our guy (JBD) at #22.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Miller was rated higher by Mackenzie than JBD and Tychonik. Time will tell which is the better NHL D man. Right now, Miller is in the lead.

McKenzie also had JBD and Tychonick ranked in a similar position (46 & 50 respectively), and many rankings had Tychonick over JBD.

I think I said it before, but Ottawa wasn't drafting Miller, their guy was JBD. It was a good move at that time because they managed to swing a trade to get an additional pick and still got the player they wanted.

And yeah, you can say that Miller is in the lead but I've seen that opinion change year over year since the draft. D+1 people favoured Miller, D+2 there was a feeling JBD could be better. Now it's back to Miller and it's hard to argue after making the all rookie team.

Interesting note there is that Erik Brannstrom - who is only 4 months older than Miller - scored more points than Miller last season with less than half the ice time. Not an apples to apples comparison, but shows how perception is skewed by evaluating players at different levels and when they got there. Brannstrom has been playing pro since 2018 so he seems like he should be further along in his development, but he's still very young for an NHL defender and lots of time to improve. Same with JBD. You're right, time will tell. Way too soon to gauge though

Reactions: Cosmix and OD99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad