Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I guess everyone is afraid of predicting goalies & stating they are untouchable. Ottawa could add to that list with 6 picks in the first 3 rds of the next draft.

That surprised me too as well as Tychonick, difference is Guénette is a right shot & 6'2" & had a pretty decent junior career. We'll see how Guénette does in Belleville this yr, but Tychonik???

And they listed Tychonick's position as "Wing" . LOL.

turrible-charles-barkley.gif

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess everyone is afraid of predicting goalies & stating they are untouchable. Ottawa could add to that list with 6 picks in the first 3 rds of the next draft.

That surprised me too as well as Tychonick, difference is Guénette is a right shot & 6'2" & had a pretty decent junior career. We'll see how Guénette does in Belleville this yr, but Tychonik???

Lol I completely missed Tychonick, just terrible...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
JBD, Jarventie, and Greig are the definition of players who could be traded for the top end talent this team needs. They are the definition of available.

Untouchable - Sandy / Jimmy.

That article was a strange one and would have been better titled as top prospects.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And they listed Tychonick's position as "Wing" . LOL.

turrible-charles-barkley.gif

Also University of Nebraska is listed as where he plays, which is maybe a more slight overlook. At this point Tychonick is an afterthought. Even if he has a big senior year, I don’t see him being senators property come FA. Article is actually taken from The Hockey Writers.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Also University of Nebraska is listed as where he plays, which is maybe a more slight overlook. At this point Tychonick is an afterthought. Even if he has a big senior year, I don’t see him being senators property come FA. Article is actually taken from The Hockey Writers.
Nebraska is correct though

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Terrible article. JBD, Greig, Jarventie are untouchables? What?? And Jarventie literally just turned 19, he's not 21. The author needs to put in at least 5min of research before putting out trash like that. No one should be untouchable, even Gretzky wasn't, but if we're really going to anoint that title onto someone, it should only be Sanderson. No one else comes close to his potential in our prospect pool. How can he say Jarventie has the potential to add some firepower to the bottom 6 and also be an untouchable prospect. What's he smoking?

Reactions: Icelevel

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well at least Sanderson moved up to 27 from 49 on Scott Wheelers prospect rankings.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well at least Sanderson moved up to 27 from 49 on Scott Wheelers prospect rankings.

Here's what he says about Sanderson
I feel like this ranking needs to be prefaced with Sens fans by saying this: Sanderson is one of the best prospects at his position in the world. Even by me having him ranked 27th here, he’s still the eighth-ranked D prospect. This ranking also tells you that if I were to do a 2020 re-draft today, he’d rank 11th, behind the seven 2020 prospects that feature ahead of him here three that don’t (Alexis Lafrenière, Tim Stützle and goalie Yaroslav Asakrov, who will feature prominently on tomorrow’s list). And while that’s still a decent ways away from fifth, where they took him, it’s also higher than where I had him ranked heading into the draft last year (19th in a tier that ran from 9-23, meaning I would have been comfortable taking him once my top eight were gone but not sooner). Do I still have concerns about Sanderson’s ability to make plays inside the offensive zone at the level I believe is required to warrant having taken him there, ahead of favorites of mine like Cole Perfetti? Yes, I do. But Sanderson’s impressive athleticism and skating, combined with his staunch defensive presence and his ability to play in transition with his feet will likely allow him to play eat up rushes, go the other way and spend a lot of time inside the offensive zone even if he’s not going to be the one driving a lot of the goals that are scored once he helps get the team there. That has huge value in a top-four role, even if I believe he doesn’t have the skill that the game’s true Norris Trophy types do.

Defensemen he ranked above Sanderson
Power
Clarke
Seider
Byram
Drysdale
L Hughes
Edvinsson

Pinto at 41

Last edited:

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
That take is obviously bad but the funny part is Sanderson having just one less point in 4 less games than Owen Power. Also it's worth mentioning Sanderson is only 4 months older than Power. Feels like Wheeler is just sort of half-doubling down on having Sanderson way too low last year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That take is obviously bad but the funny part is Sanderson having just one less point in 4 less games than Owen Power. Also it's worth mentioning Sanderson is only 4 months older than Power. Feels like Wheeler is just sort of half-doubling down on having Sanderson way too low last year.

Yeah, I haven't really "analyzed" Wheeler trains of thought, but maybe it's his understanding of the game that is subpar? I don't know, I could be wrong obviously and maybe I'd have a better idea if I cared enough to read more of his stuff but won't go out of my way to do so.

Or maybe he doesn't see/understand the value that guys like Slavin or even Pelech can bring to a NHL team? Slavin just got voted the 8th best D-man in the league on the main boards. Strikes me as a guy that should be drafted high in his draft year... That's the kind of potential Sanderson has.

Is he a "junior stats scout" (so basically just compiling junior stats, i.e. anti-Sens drafting)? I'd bet he had Jonathan Drouin much higher than Seth Jones or Darnell Nurse in 2013.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here's what he says about Sanderson

Defensemen he ranked above Sanderson
Power
Clarke
Seider
Byram
Drysdale
L Hughes
Edvinsson

Pinto at 41

Wheeler's choices are based on two main factors: 1) high-end skill potential 2) how much he "likes" a prospect.

Don't read any further into it than that.

Sting's post explains what my perception is of this ranking too. However, I do like what he said about Sanderson being the guy that breaks plays up & transitions the puck back into the offensive zone being very important. Zub is like this too in a less dramatic fashion, he breaks the play up & either gives it to someone else to get it up the ice or occasionally takes it up himself.

I expect Sanderson will carry the puck a lot more since he is such a great skater like Chabot. In the end, he may not get as many pts as others, but IMO he will significantly improve the goals against & be directly responsible for getting the puck into the offensive zone that eventually results in goals for even if he doesn't get rewarded with the primary or secondary assist. I hope all four UND prospects turn into great players for Ottawa & put these rankings to shame as well as some of our other prospects develop into much better players than expected.

BTW Sting ... don't stand so close to me .... :thumbu:

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
JBD, Jarventie, and Greig are the definition of players who could be traded for the top end talent this team needs. They are the definition of available.

Untouchable - Sandy / Jimmy.

I seriously beg to differ. JBD will pair with Sanderson to shut down opponents on the power play while opening up lanes for short-handed markers.

Jarventie's above-grade shot will find a way into the line-up. And he's joined at the hip with Lassi, a typical late blooming D-man whose performance in the coming season will silence his many critics.

Greig, meanwhile, provides versatility as both a winger and Center. On the B-sens, he will be slotted between Crookshank and Kelly - a combination that could be the fourth line for Ottawa.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I seriously beg to differ. JBD will pair with Sanderson to shut down opponents on the power play while opening up lanes for short-handed markers.

Jarventie's above-grade shot will find a way into the line-up. And he's joined at the hip with Lassi, a typical late blooming D-man whose performance in the coming season will silence his many critics.

Greig, meanwhile, provides versatility as both a winger and Center. On the B-sens, he will be slotted between Crookshank and Kelly - a combination that could be the fourth line for Ottawa.

Well … I think you over estimate some of Those guys … either way… who do you think others teams are going to ask for? You can’t block your top 15 prospect list from other teams and ask them for a 1-2C.

Reactions: SENStastic

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
0D6D3133-6F6E-4B36-9F58-D48A6DE5DD00.jpeg

kaliyev
thomas
byfield

vs

pinto
tychonick
stutzle

Did we do it right?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well we couldn't even pick Byfield so that one is out...happy with Pinto pick and prob would like a redo with Ty.

Reactions: Sensators

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well we couldn't even pick Byfield so that one is out...happy with Pinto pick and prob would like a redo with Ty.
Word is…and my impression is that we take stutzle over byfield at 2 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad