Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
What am I missing with Greig? I see him as a 4th line center in the future. Theres just nothing that jumps off the page about him.. what am I missing?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My updated top 10 prospects. Who are yours??

1. Jake Sanderson
2. Shane Pinto
3. Jacob Bernard-Docker
4. Alex Formenton
5. Tyler Boucher
6. Filip Gustavsson
7. Yegor Sokolov
8. Tyler Kleven
9. Zack Ostapchuk
10. Roby Jarventie
HM: Grieg, Sogaard, Kelly

Greig needs to be higher, way higher imo. And Im not quitting on Logan Brown until hes gone, personally.

1. Jake Sanderson
2. Shane Pinto
3. Jacob Bernard-Docker
4. Alex Formenton
5. Ridley Grieg
6. Tyler Boucher
7. Logan Brown
8. Yegor Sokolov
9. Tyler Kleven
10. Roby Jarventie
HM, Lasi Thompson, Zack Ostapchuk, Philly Daoust

Goalies be goalies. Sogaard is the man of the future though imo, but Gus is cool too.

Interesting read. I guess I haven't visited this thread recently.

I don't see much junior (SHL, etc.) hockey, so no real way for me to comment with any kind of true insight.

Here are a few thoughts about what "I hope" are the best prospects. I hope they are:
  1. Sanderson
  2. Gustavsson
  3. Pinto
  4. Grieg
  5. Tyler Boucher

This is based almost entirely on what is considered the key positions necessary for a team to succeed. So defense and goaltending being at the top based on the idea of building from the net out (hence Sanderson & Gustavsson). Then centers are very important, so Pinto and Grieg. Then I threw in Boucher because of where he was drafted (at #10 overall) and because of recency effect.

I would also hope that JBD is closer to the #5 than the #10 for reasons already mentioned in the paragraph above.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He has good speed and a nice set of hands .. Looks creative, smart and can make plays. Also plays with an edge. More than a 4th liner for me.

On pace for 90+ points in a normal WHL season is a very good D+1 year. He is also one of the younger players in his draft year and is still only 18 years old. Greig is one of those guys (like Formenton and Pinto after their drafts) who has potential in spades. My only big criticism with him is his shot not being great. In the games I watched he didnt elevate the puck enough and scored a decent number of his goals low which just wont cut it consistently in the NHL. If he can work on his shot I dont think it's unrealistic that he could put up 100+ points next year for Brandon.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He has good speed and a nice set of hands .. Looks creative, smart and can make plays. Also plays with an edge. More than a 4th liner for me.
The kid stepped into the AHL as an 18 year old and looked like one of our better players. Not sure how anyone can see just 4th line potential there... If he adds some size to his frame he'll be tough to handle.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What am I missing with Greig? I see him as a 4th line center in the future. Theres just nothing that jumps off the page about him.. what am I missing?

The kid is still 18 y/o... He came to the AHL last season totally unimpressed by playing against men, he was actually one of the few bright spots in his 4 games (that I watched) in February

Of course, every prospect or young hockey player (even in the NHL) could "stagnate" on the way but as of now, based on his development curve, he could end up as a pretty damn good player. He has a wide range of skills and is dynamic out there, plays fast/with pace. He's more of a playmaker I think and already a sound defensive player. And on top of all that, he annoys the shit out of opponents. He's exactly in the Marchand/Kadri mold, at least for now but if it's in his DNA, it won't change

Note that his "stock" has significantly risen since October 2020, so if you read scouting reports from even just last year, it's a bit outdated

Reactions: Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

IQ, creativity, hands, motor, poise and intensity(Hi, Ryan). He was notably our best player in Bingo in the game before he got injured and could have scored a hattrick with how much he was buzzing.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well, Greig can play C or LW & when I look at LW in this org I don't see a place in future at that position. I assume that Tkachuk, Stutzle, Formenton & Paul have those 4 spots locked up with Jarventie & Crookshank & any other LW they draft could also push for a spot. That being said things change every yr & he could be a few yrs away from challenging for a roster spot. Or something could open up or he could just outplay whoever is in front of him, I think he has that potential.

At centre I think the one guy he could challenge is White, Norris & Pinto are pretty much cemented into those top two centre spots unless something changes or Pinto shows he is not up to it, but from what we saw last yr he is more than capable. And then there is L. Brown & who knows what will happen with that guy but IMO with his skillset it's likely they would try him in the top six at centre too.

That leaves the bottom six & at the moment the weakest link seems to be White although it could change somehow, but I doubt it. I say this believing that Tierny should be gone by the TDL or end of the yr. I prefer big, strong, tough, mobile centres on the 4th line & Ottawa has three guys who could fit that spot in Paul, Douglas & Kastelic, I prefer Paul & have for a few yrs but he's also getting older & the other two have played well too. Greig in that 3rd C spot makes the most sense to me, he is a feisty determined speedy player with offensive upside & good all around skillset, similar to Pageau. IMO he has the potential to be a better player than White, but White is older & continues to accumulate more NHL experience & won't be pushed out easily. I just think Greig brings more in all 3 zones specifically on offence & could be the better player over time.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Potential.

Lead wheat kings in ppg in 19-20, and tied the lead in 20-21. Turns 19 in two weeks so still a ton of growth potential. Hard nosed play style involved in every play even if it isn't just offensively. He can truly become a gem.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What a squad this is going to be. NB Greig on Team White

The following players were invited to the camp, but won’t be on the ice Quinton Byfield Elliot Desnoyers Jamie Drysdale Jack Finley Tyson Foerster Owen Power Ozzy Wiesblat
Crazy amount of talent

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What a squad this is going to be. NB Greig on Team White

The following players were invited to the camp, but won’t be on the ice Quinton Byfield Elliot Desnoyers Jamie Drysdale Jack Finley Tyson Foerster Owen Power Ozzy Wiesblat
Crazy amount of talent

Cameron’s “My Priest told me to play Hammond” is such an amazing sound bite

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It might be a bit of a challenge for him to crack the Sens roster out of camp if he is still floating around 170 lbs.
I don't see that happening either, most likely will return to junior, but it will be great to see how he does in the WJC if he makes the final cut.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I don't see that happening either, most likely will return to junior, but it will be great to see how he does in the WJC if he makes the final cut.
DJ Smith wanted to give him games in Ottawa at the end of the season and Dorion told him no because they didn't want to burn any of his games or risk burning a year of his ELC. He probably gets a real serious look in training camp and may in fact be higher on the depth chart than a lot of prospects. If he was able to get up to 190 lbs + then he could quite possibly make the team out of camp but being closer to 170 lbs could be a real challenge.

If he goes back to the WHL it is still a chance for him to further dominate and grow as a player so it isn't necessarily a bad thing if that happens.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DJ Smith wanted to give him games in Ottawa at the end of the season and Dorion told him no because they didn't want to burn any of his games or risk burning a year of his ELC. He probably gets a real serious look in training camp and may in fact be higher on the depth chart than a lot of prospects. If he was able to get up to 190 lbs + then he could quite possibly make the team out of camp but being closer to 170 lbs could be a real challenge.

If he goes back to the WHL it is still a chance for him to further dominate and grow as a player so it isn't necessarily a bad thing if that happens.

Absolutely agree. I was blown away by his play last year. I haven't seen that much pose and impact by an 18 year old against men since Zibanejad(not gonna count Stutzle).

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I have a weird feeling greig will be part of a package for something in a trade :(
Why?

Seems he has endeared himself to the entire organization in very short amount of time and is the prototype for the players they want.

Would be shocked if he gets moved given his upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad