Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Why?

Seems he has endeared himself to the entire organization in very short amount of time and is the prototype for the players they want.

Would be shocked if he gets moved given his upside.

I think the concern is him getting moved to acquire a centre. Its a toss up for me between Greig and Sokolov for who I would want to move the least (Sanderson is already untouchable). I think both should be untouchable for at least one more year and until we have a better idea (not influenced by Covid season BS) of the players they'll become.

Jarventie, one of Lassi or JBD, Klevin, and one of the goalie prospects are all high picks that I think could be fair game if it helps acquire young talented NHL players to make the team a contender.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apologies if his has already been asked or discussed.... are we doing a development camp this year?
Last I heard they didn't expect there to be one, but that was a while ago so thing may have changed. A lot depends on travel restrictions between countries,

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the concern is him getting moved to acquire a centre. Its a toss up for me between Greig and Sokolov for who I would want to move the least (Sanderson is already untouchable). I think both should be untouchable for at least one more year and until we have a better idea (not influenced by Covid season BS) of the players they'll become.

Jarventie, one of Lassi or JBD, Klevin, and one of the goalie prospects are all high picks that I think could be fair game if it helps acquire young talented NHL players to make the team a contender.
Sokolov to me being a right shot who can play either side may be the more important player although Greig plays the way this coaching staff likes. I doubt Greg makes the team on the wing since those spots look to be filling up with so many good young forwards. At centre is where he might have a chance once Tierny is gone (likely this yr) & only White would be left to challenge for his spot on the 3rd line C. White might even lose that spot to L. Brown this yr unless they trade LB.

I think both JBD & Kleven also have spots for them on a future team & Jarventie will be an interesting player to watch if he can score in the AHL like he did in Europe. Thomson, Brannstrom, Mete, Tierny, White, Sogaard, L. Brown & Greig could all be available for the right trade as could others depending on who they are willing to give up to get the right player back. I think we are a yr or two away from making some big moves though & they want to see how this group does this coming season against better competition.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Maybe. Maybe not. Why are you concerned

Its nice recognition for your 2020 1RD picks to make that the team. It’s evidence that others value their ability and development. It’s a good experience for our prospects too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its nice recognition for your 2020 1RD picks to make that the team. It’s evidence that others value their ability and development. It’s a good experience for our prospects too.
I could be wrong, but I think the question was more about why you think he is at risk of not making team Canada,

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I could be wrong, but I think the question was more about why you think he is at risk of not making team Canada,

Ahhhh … no great evidence, haven't watched a skate … but looking at the names and slotting of the practice rosters I’m not seeing him earning a top 3C roll and 4C is starting to look optimistic. Maybe he slots in bottom 6 LW but there are bigger bodies available that polar similar rolls that may factor in depending how they think they match up vs USA/RUS etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ahhhh … no great evidence, haven't watched a skate … but looking at the names and slotting of the practice rosters I’m not seeing him earning a top 3C roll and 4C is starting to look optimistic. Maybe he slots in bottom 6 LW but there are bigger bodies available that polar similar rolls that may factor in depending how they think they match up vs USA/RUS etc.

The one thing he really has going for him is his versatility, he really fits in at LW or Center and plays a style that works for both a top 6 and a bottom 6 role.

The only concern I have with him is his size, which isn't as much of a concern in a U20 tournament as it is in the NHL but he needs to bulk up a bit imo to realize his potential. If he can get up to 185-190 he should be fine but from what I understand he still has a ways to go.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The one thing he really has going for him is his versatility, he really fits in at LW or Center and plays a style that works for both a top 6 and a bottom 6 role.

The only concern I have with him is his size, which isn't as much of a concern in a U20 tournament as it is in the NHL but he needs to bulk up a bit imo to realize his potential. If he can get up to 185-190 he should be fine but from what I understand he still has a ways to go.
I expect he will follow a very similar path as Formenton did… give him a few tastes but bring him along slowly at the same time

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why are you concerned he won’t make it

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Getting concerned Greig doesn’t make team Canada u20.
He will make the team. Rarely are players invited to the selection camp as a 18 year old and not make the team as a 19 y/o. Add on the fact he plays his heart out shift in and out, and can play any forward position and it’s unlikely he doesn’t make the team.

He’ll be a 3rd/4th line agitator.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He will make the team. Rarely are players invited to the selection camp as a 18 year old and not make the team as a 19 y/o. Add on the fact he plays his heart out shift in and out, and can play any forward position and it’s unlikely he doesn’t make the team.

He’ll be a 3rd/4th line agitator.

Hope so ! Players like Byfield are still eligible beyond those training camp players.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Grieg is tailor made for Hockey Canada, they love him and the kind of hockey he plays.

I agree - but there is a lot of talent available from the last two (three) first rounds that have the type of talent hockey Canada will want.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I guess everyone is afraid of predicting goalies & stating they are untouchable. Ottawa could add to that list with 6 picks in the first 3 rds of the next draft.

Seriously? Guinette was an honourable mention for a list of untouchables?

Yikes. With Stützle graduated, Sanderson is the only guy that belongs anywhere near that list. The others are all nice prospects but hardly untouchables

That surprised me too as well as Tychonick, difference is Guénette is a right shot & 6'2" & had a pretty decent junior career. We'll see how Guénette does in Belleville this yr, but Tychonik???

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Seriously? Guinette was an honourable mention for a list of untouchables?

Yikes. With Stützle graduated, Sanderson is the only guy that belongs anywhere near that list. The others are all nice prospects but hardly untouchables

And Boucher not mentioned at all. Just click bait.

Assen na yo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad