5. Raymond
6. Kleven
7. Sokolov
8. Greig
9. Daoust
10. Merilanen

11+ Rest of the NHL

Busts : Engstrand, Reinhardt, many others

Balcers flying under the radar this year, I think he had become one of our most underrated prospects due to our depth after the 2020 draft.

15 points in 10 GP

I was 0.75 PPG when I played there though... as a goalie :sarcasm:

Seriously, it's not a "bad league" but still a tier below the Liiga for example. If he was scoring under that level, it wouldn't be a good sign

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Balcers flying under the radar this year, I think he had become one of our most underrated prospects due to our depth after the 2020 draft.

15 points in 10 GP

Agreed. Hes got way more pro upside than most give him credit for.

I think his game translates well to the pros, if you can get over his size I guess.. Had he not got injured he would probably be a full time NHLer by now.

And just like when he was at the time of the trade, I bet he would still be among the Sharks top prospects, and a welcome addition to their current roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting assessment of different 'draft ranking sources' in the table below:

It's linked to from Culmore's piece
2020 NHL Draft By The Numbers Part 1: Biggest Steals and Reaches, List Accuracy

I don't like the consolidated rankings way he does things but interesting to see which sources are closest to where people went. No surprise to see Bob at the top and all of elite prospects group way down :P

The 2019 list by the numbers
upload_2020-11-30_12-14-28.png

Derek Neumeier - Defending Big D - 4th 2 years in a row is not bad.
10 NHL team scouts from Bob have a definite advantage as to how the actual draft will go.
Consolidated list 2nd in 2019, 5th in 2020 also not bad

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I don't like the consolidated rankings way he does things but interesting to see which sources are closest to where people went. No surprise to see Bob at the top and all of elite prospects group way down :P

That was a fun read actually but I'm not really sure what we can learn from it other than perhaps some teams are a little bit more inclined to stray from the consensus.

And I don't like the characterization of a player like Sanderson being one of the biggest reaches. He was definitely in a tier of players that could have gone 4-12 (or so). To say he's a bigger reach at 5 than Mukhamadullin at 20 seems out there to me. But it's a numerical model and he sticks to it rigidly. He also explains his methods and results with no clear bias or unnecessary interpretation.

It WILL be interesting to see how the perceived reachers will have done when the dust settles in 5 or 6 years. Same for the teams who got "steals".

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Very interesting read.

I note he said this about the Ottawa Senators: “The Senators were the kings of reaching in this draft according to my model, making up a full quarter of the top 20 value losses in the draft.”

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That was a fun read actually but I'm not really sure what we can learn from it other than perhaps some teams are a little bit more inclined to stray from the consensus.

And I don't like the characterization of a player like Sanderson being one of the biggest reaches. He was definitely in a tier of players that could have gone 4-12 (or so). To say he's a bogger reach at 5 than Mukhamadullin at 20 seems out there to me. But it's a numerical model and he sticks to it rigidly. He also explains his methods and results with no clear bias or unnecessary interpretation.

It WILL be interesting to see how the perceived reachers will have done when the dust settles in 5 or 6 years. Same for the teams who got "steals".

Note these steels and reaches are comparing the consolidated list to what actually happened ,, a paper exercise based on ranking vs where they are taken. Not determining value based on how a player actually turns out.
Last year (2019) top 5 reaches (Seider, Broberg, Dach, Knight, Thomson) ; top 5 steals ( Krebs, Kaliyev, Caulfield, Dorofeyev, Brink)
The internet scouting community does not put the same emphasis on size as the NHL scouts imo.
Based on how those reaches are actually doing.. at least 4/5 don't look like very big reaches.
Krebs is a bit of an outlier because of an Achilles injury close to the draft.

Reactions: Bileur

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
And I don't like the characterization of a player like Sanderson being one of the biggest reaches. He was definitely in a tier of players that could have gone 4-12 (or so). To say he's a bigger reach at 5 than Mukhamadullin at 20 seems out there to me. But it's a numerical model and he sticks to it rigidly. He also explains his methods and results with no clear bias or unnecessary interpretation.

When you create a consolidated list, that treats everyone equally but includes garbage lists from people with hot takes for attention, and use that as a baseline, you're bound to have issues. Treating McKenzie's list, which is a consensus from real pro scouts, as an equal with some hot take guy looking for hits on his Youtube channel is nonsensical.

Reactions: R2010

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
When you create a consolidated list, that treats everyone equally but includes garbage lists from people with hot takes for attention, and use that as a baseline, you're bound to have issues. Treating McKenzie's list, which is a consensus from real pro scouts, as an equal with some hot take guy looking for hits on his Youtube channel is nonsensical.

I disagree, to a degree. It's like polling; sure you'll talk to some shitheads but stats (with enough of a sample) should smooth out that noise. After all there could be a dumbass out there who had Sanderson 1st on his list. Unlikely but people are generally dumb in both directions from the norm.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Note these steels and reaches are comparing the consolidated list to what actually happened ,, a paper exercise based on ranking vs where they are taken. Not determining value based on how a player actually turns out.
Last year (2019) top 5 reaches (Seider, Broberg, Dach, Knight, Thomson) ; top 5 steals ( Krebs, Kaliyev, Caulfield, Dorofeyev, Brink)
The internet scouting community does not put the same emphasis on size as the NHL scouts imo.
Based on how those reaches are actually doing.. at least 4/5 don't look like very big reaches.
Krebs is a bit of an outlier because of an Achilles injury close to the draft.

Oh, I know that they aren't actually calling players better than their draft position. It's purely numerical. It's not an opinion but a stats exercise so I don't really have a problem with it. But if Sanderson at 5 is one of the biggest "reaches" then I think there might be a fly in the statistical ointment. That's all I was getting at.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Only 3 defensemen in the QMJHL have more points than Guenette this season. Lukas Cormier, and a pair of overagers.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Reactions: R2010

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I know it’s only such a small sample size but I would feel fairly confident in putting Guenette as a legitimate NHL prospect now. Maybe not a ‘very good’ middle pairing defenseman but definitely a guy who will be getting call-ups to the NHL within the next two years.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Bader, Ferrari and Scouch at the end? Surprising!

I can respect people like Ferrari and Scouch even through their hot takes because I know quite a bit of their analysis still comes from actually watching prospects and not all data-based but that Bader guy.... woof. He posted a model projection the other day that had Olli Maatta having the same star probability as Erik Karlsson through their draft year to D+4 year. At that point I’m really questioning what’s going on there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bader, Ferrari and Scouch at the end? Surprising!
I mean. None of that is surprising. I get your sarcasm.

Guessing where players will go is not the same as guessing where they should go.

Im more interested in the list that sees what few others see. And who is right. Vs the list that just compiled who is likely to go where cuz they heard from nhl scouts. We will see in a few years

R2010

May 23, 2011
I disagree, to a degree. It's like polling; sure you'll talk to some shitheads but stats (with enough of a sample) should smooth out that noise. After all there could be a dumbass out there who had Sanderson 1st on his list. Unlikely but people are generally dumb in both directions from the norm.

There's a fair bit of evidence out there that excluding outliers improves predictive modelling so it depends on what he is trying to use it for. Once he moves into steals vs reaches then the flaw of having poor performers in comes into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad