Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
There is a massive difference between filling the role well and having what Ottawa hopes is an elite left handed D to support their other elite left handed D.

Yeah, I wasn't saying a guy like Cormier would be equal to Sanderson. The idea of having two LD who can eat minutes is extremely appealing. That being said, we left this draft with only one player who has the potential to fill our 1C role. I have faith Stutzle will be able to do it, but picking up another C would have left our prospect pool in a great place. With next years draft being very D heavy, I think we could have gotten a Sanderson calibre player next year to fill that 2LD position even if we picked in the mid-teens. We're not really going to have a shot at any more elite Cs with the trajectory of the rebuild, so if no one we currently have steps up to fill that role then we're going to have the same problem the team experienced after trading Spezza. A bunch of solid 2/3Cs but no gamebreaker. That strategy may work but it's risky and can leave us in a place where we'd have to overpay for 1C like Duchene again. I totally get that others have a different opinion, as I said I'm still happy with Sanderson. I'm just of the opinion that finding a 2LD is a lot easier than finding someone who can play 1C.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, I wasn't saying a guy like Cormier would be equal to Sanderson. The idea of having two LD who can eat minutes is extremely appealing. That being said, we left this draft with only one player who has the potential to fill our 1C role. I have faith Stutzle will be able to do it, but picking up another C would have left our prospect pool in a great place. With next years draft being very D heavy, I think we could have gotten a Sanderson calibre player next year to fill that 2LD position even if we picked in the mid-teens. We're not really going to have a shot at any more elite Cs with the trajectory of the rebuild, so if no one we currently have steps up to fill that role then we're going to have the same problem the team experienced after trading Spezza. A bunch of solid 2/3Cs but no gamebreaker. That strategy may work but it's risky and can leave us in a place where we'd have to overpay for 1C like Duchene again. I totally get that others have a different opinion, as I said I'm still happy with Sanderson. I'm just of the opinion that finding a 2LD is a lot easier than finding someone who can play 1C.

This may be the case, but a 2D is a lot harder to find than a 1W or a 2C, which is likely the best we thought we'd be getting with anyone else at 5.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Lots of Prospects today

NO Chlapik again today for Sparta.
Merilainans Karpat U20 won 3-1 today no idea if he started.
Ilves lose 4-2 Zero points for Thompson and Jarvente.
Jukerit win 6-5 in OT, zero points for Abramov.
Graz 99ers lose 6-3, zero points for Alsing.
Sogaard wins his 2nd straight 5-3
Gustavsson with Sodertalje starting win 5-4
Lodin with Timra win win 5-3, Lodin 1g 1a

Later
Guenette with Val D'Or

Last edited:

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
This may be the case, but a 2D is a lot harder to find than a 1W or a 2C, which is likely the best we thought we'd be getting with anyone else at 5.

I guess we'll call it a difference of opinion but I think both Rossi and Lundell have the potential to be 1Cs. Rossi would probably be a better fit as a winger but he could fill whatever role Stutzle doesn't (e.g. Stutzle becomes 1C, Rossi become 1RW). Lundell is going to be similar to Kopitar, probably only going to get 60-70 points out of him but that's partnered with an elite defensive game. Obviously those are both IMO, but I do believe that we could have picked up someone with 1C potential at 5th. Next year we definitely won't have that chance and it'll only go down the deeper we get in to the rebuild.

Reactions: Frank8 and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Drafted 187th overall 7th round in 2019, another late round gem. Could end up better than 19th overall pick Lassi Thomson.

Agreed, I've been saying for over a yr that I thought Guennette could be a Dark Horse for Ottawa, he has good size which I like & he has some good offensive instincts & is big enough to be solid defensively. Plus he's a right shot & IMO could challenge a number of guys for that 2nd or 3rd RD spot on a future team. He seems like exactly what they need there, a two way 200' player he can contribute offensively & is decent defensively for that 2nd RD spot to play with Sanderson behind JBD.

IMO the 2021 draft could end up as important as the 2020 draft with two guys in the top 5 to 10 who could help a future Ottawa team in Dylan Guenther RW & Kent Johnson C, two positions that could use an upgrade depth wise. My guess is that Ottawa could take one of these two guys with their first rd pick & look to either add another 1st or trade up to pick up a puck moving right shot defenceman. I also expect they will pick up another right shot D early in the 2nd rd as a 3rd pairing right shot D & start filling some holes in their prospect pool. I know, BPA, but if the BPA also fills a hole even better. Guenther, Johnson, Cuelemans & Schmidt all fill important roles & holes for this team IMO. Next yr's draft should be to shore up a few spots including RD now that the left side is pretty much set IMO.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I guess we'll call it a difference of opinion but I think both Rossi and Lundell have the potential to be 1Cs. Rossi would probably be a better fit as a winger but he could fill whatever role Stutzle doesn't (e.g. Stutzle becomes 1C, Rossi become 1RW). Lundell is going to be similar to Kopitar, probably only going to get 60-70 points out of him but that's partnered with an elite defensive game. Obviously those are both IMO, but I do believe that we could have picked up someone with 1C potential at 5th. Next year we definitely won't have that chance and it'll only go down the deeper we get in to the rebuild.

Yeah not critiquing either guy at all, just saying that if the Sens agreed with you on Lundell I suspect theres a good chance that they'd have taken him over Sanderson.

More to your point: I'm happy with Sanderson, but if we came out of the 5th pick with a guy the team saw as a future 1C, I'd be similarly happy about that too.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Guenette with two goals in the first period tonight
200.gif

Le prochain

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Eric Brannstromm's next 3 games have been postponed, so according to Bruce Garrioch he may be heading back to Canada.
@SunGarriochIf this is the case, Erik Brannstrom may have suited up for his last game in Switzerland. He indicated in our call yesterday he could be heading back to North America soon to prepare for the NHL season. Like everyone else, he'd have to quarantine for 14 days

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Ilves win 2-0 zero stats for Thompson and Jarvente
Malmo lose 4-3 zero stats fro Engstrand
Stavanger won 7-2 Balcers 1g 1a
Jukerit lost 6-3 zero points for Abramov
Karpat U20 lost 6-3 hopefully Merilainan was not in net

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Minnesota States 2 games against Bemidji State postponed due to Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.