Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion VII - STAY ON TOPIC

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Which is why they want 1 puck mover and one shutdown guy on each pair. You move Gryz up and now your 5 on 5 may improve (it also may not because most of the issues were with forwards not d-men) and then you have weakened one of the other pairs considerably.

The back end is improving game-to-game.

Without looking, which d-man do you assign these stats to:

Player A: 18 shot attempts - 44.4% hit the target
Player B: 19 shot attempts - 68.4% hit the target
Player C: 18 shot attempts - 61.1% hit the target.

Do I make suggestions? Yes I did just before the season. And the d-pairs were exactly as they are. I know and they know it's going to take more than 6 games to find their chemistry and for now, yes it's working. I think it will only get better.

But other than that, no I don't make line suggestions. Other than the fact I never want to see Karson Kuhlman anywhere than the 4th line or lower.

A is McAvoy
B is Gryz
C is Lauzon

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If Seny does not get in now when they are down 2 RWs, I dunno if he is worth keeping. Add in Kuhlman not being healthy and with Jake out too then he might as well go to Europe and end this charade.

Reactions: TCB

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Really discouraging that with DeBrusk out, that Senyshyn isn't given a chance, and names like Kuhlman and Lindholm
are considered before him. Seny had potential, guess not anymore, Kuhlman and Lindholm not so much.
Has he not shown anything since he was given a cup of coffee a year or two ago ?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Really discouraging that with DeBrusk out, that Senyshyn isn't given a chance, and names like Kuhlman and Lindholm
are considered before him. Seny had potential, guess not anymore, Kuhlman and Lindholm not so much.
Has he not shown anything since he was given a cup of coffee a year or two ago ?
what has Seny done to deserve a promotion?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

What has Par Lindholm done? What has Kuhlman done? What has Greg Friggin McKegg done? We are talking about 4th liners here- the exact role you can stick someone in like Senyshyn and get a look at without the wheels coming off any gameplan.

Reactions: bbfan419

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What has Par Lindholm done? What has Kuhlman done? What has Greg Friggin McKegg done? We are talking about 4th liners here- the exact role you can stick someone in like Senyshyn and get a look at without the wheels coming off any gameplan.
IT'S WHY Senyshyn HASN'T BEEN demoted to Jacksonville, nevermind Providence

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Nobody knows. Nobody has even asked Bruce about him.

He needs a chance but right now that "risk" is not available due to the shortened season

Down at Providence he will get top 6 opportunity. And will need to put up points this time around

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Nobody knows. Nobody has even asked Bruce about him.

He needs a chance but right now that "risk" is not available due to the shortened season

Down at Providence he will get top 6 opportunity. And will need to put up points this time around
that last line is what Sweeney wants to see happen, so far it hasn't

Reactions: rocketdan9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
IT'S WHY Senyshyn HASN'T BEEN demoted to Jacksonville, nevermind Providence

Well I guess you could say that he has earned the right not to be in Providence or the ECHL, so if that is the case, then why not get him some NHL games? They know what they have in Kuhlman, Lindholm, McKegg, even Blidh, and none of them are gamechangers.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Well I guess you could say that he has earned the right not to be in Providence or the ECHL, so if that is the case, then why not get him some NHL games? They know what they have in Kuhlman, Lindholm, McKegg, even Blidh, and none of them are gamechangers.
simply doesn't work that way

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Just going by what our analytics fans here had been posting for the past few seasons. I myself am only mildly interested in them but the word was always that Heinen was great on those esoteric measurements that I cannot claim to understand to any great depth.

Check this out if you're interested, I did a post on this exact topic a little while ago. Basically the analytics aren't as cut and dry as the general discussion around the two would have you believe.

It irks me when I see people who portray themselves as being big into analytics (not so much on here but you see lots of them on Twitter) who then throw the analytics out the window when they don't tell the story they want them to.

Player Discussion - Nick Ritchie - II

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
simply doesn't work that way

What doesn't work what way? Because I can name dozens of examples over the years of players getting chances that they didn't earn- we've seen that here on the Bruins more than once and recently too. Take our old friend Karson Kuhlman. He buzzes around but accomplishes about jack shit most of the time and does not really add value to the team effort. Yet out he rolled time after time. We have our other old friend JDB, who despite putting up some decent numbers in bunches dogs it 75% of the time. How many chances did Jimmy Hayes get? Zac Rinaldo? David Backes? Colin Miller?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
not really....
Lidholm 3g 3a 6pts in 60 games
Senyshyn 1g 2a 3 pts in 6 games

And that's before ye olde eye test.

He also plays the wing where they're down 3 of their top 4 and would be a better option than shuffling the whole line up to move shoe horn in Par at center.\

But what do I know - maybe theres some super secret plan with him that I can't reason.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Check this out if you're interested, I did a post on this exact topic a little while ago. Basically the analytics aren't as cut and dry as the general discussion around the two would have you believe.

It irks me when I see people who portray themselves as being big into analytics (not so much on here but you see lots of them on Twitter) who then throw the analytics out the window when they don't tell the story they want them to.

Player Discussion - Nick Ritchie - II

Yes I remember that post and was surprised. Analytics are cool and I've taken some time to try to understand them because they are thing now, but I am like a lot of folks I guess in feeling like they have a place but are not and can not be the end all/be all for a sport as contextual as hockey. No other team sport comes close to being so dependent on so many variables at any given moment due to the pace of play and fluidity of the game.

Reactions: kjpm

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What doesn't work what way? Because I can name dozens of examples over the years of players getting chances that they didn't earn- we've seen that here on the Bruins more than once and recently too. Take our old friend Karson Kuhlman. He buzzes around but accomplishes about jack shit most of the time and does not really add value to the team effort. Yet out he rolled time after time. We have our other old friend JDB, who despite putting up some decent numbers in bunches dogs it 75% of the time. How many chances did Jimmy Hayes get? Zac Rinaldo? David Backes? Colin Miller?
you have to play better to be promoted....if Cassidy doesn't feel you help the team, he has the right not to play you.... same for Providence coaches, since it's the same schematic

Sweeney's not a fan of you, then ZS knows what he has to do to make or earn a chance to stick, full-time, not as an injury replacement

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
you have to play better to be promoted....if Cassidy doesn't feel you help the team, he has the right not to play you.... same for Providence coaches, since it's the same schematic

Sweeney's not a fan of you, then ZS knows what he has to do to make or earn a chance to stick, full-time, not as an injury replacement

In this case I believe Snyshyn is in no man's land at the moment and that is Don Sweeney. I don't believe Cassidy is the guy moving players up and down from the taxi squad or Providence. Now what is going on with Senyshyn in the eyes of Sweeney is another story and it may have nothing at all to do with his ability to play on the 4th line. I will defer that conversation to those who know better than I do, but you know as well as I do that it does not always work on a strict merit system. We feel like it should, but honestly I cannot think of a single endeavor in life that actually works that way to the fullest.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Yes I remember that post and was surprised. Analytics are cool and I've taken some time to try to understand them because they are thing now, but I am like a lot of folks I guess in feeling like they have a place but are not and can not be the end all/be all for a sport as contextual as hockey. No other team sport comes close to being so dependent on so many variables at any given moment due to the pace of play and fluidity of the game.

Agreed, I think they clearly have a place but they aren't the end all, be all in player evaluation, especially with the kind of rudimentary data available now. There's some great work being done but they don't tell the whole story by a long shot.

To me, the best use of analytics as they currently exist is to figure out which players should be avoided, especially defensively. You can tell by the numbers which guys are continually playing in their own end shift after shift, even if you can't recognize it with the eye test. Thinking of guys like Jack Johnson and Cody Ceci who keep getting chances because their physical attributes and skills look good but then are always getting caved in when they're on the ice.

Reactions: Dr Hook

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In this case I believe Snyshyn is in no man's land at the moment and that is Don Sweeney. I don't believe Cassidy is the guy moving players up and down from the taxi squad or Providence. Now what is going on with Senyshyn in the eyes of Sweeney is another story and it may have nothing at all to do with his ability to play on the 4th line. I will defer that conversation to those who know better than I do, but you know as well as I do that it does not always work on a strict merit system. We feel like it should, but honestly I cannot think of a single endeavor in life that actually works that way to the fullest.

I can assure you Cassidy prefers not to get involved in it. He uses the players management gives to him.

What's missing this year is input from the Providence coaching staff on who is performing in the role the big club needs. There are just no games to base anything on.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I can assure you Cassidy prefers not to get involved in it. He uses the players management gives to him.

What's missing this year is input from the Providence coaching staff on who is performing in the role the big club needs. There are just no games to base anything on.
do they get input/feedback on Keyser from Jacksonville's coaching staff?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
thanks, great to know

Essensa mostly works with Rask/Halak. Dunham usually works with the kids, Vladar/Swayman/Keyser. With Swayman and Vladar not playing until now, he's had more opportunity to concentrate on Keyser.

As you know, Keyser is basically returning from injury. Keyser himself told me he is in constant communication with them and in the offseason they went over everything from diet to work out routine to what they want him to work on to what he already excels at.

I have no worries that the goaltending prospects are getting all the necessary coaching from the B's brass at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad