Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion VII - STAY ON TOPIC

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It's a bit funny/sad that John Moore will be scratched so often that he won't even be eligible for the expansion draft. Probably best to just buy him out in 2021 off-season.
I think he gets moved soon with Pittsburgh and other teams looking for vet help on D, he is the ideal guy to pick up cheap for maybe a 5th round pick and he is a decent player.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's a bit funny/sad that John Moore will be scratched so often that he won't even be eligible for the expansion draft. Probably best to just buy him out in 2021 off-season.

To clarify, he will be eligible, he just won’t count as fulfilling the requirements for the Bruins to expose players who have played a certain amount of games.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Looked great witout Gryz....Can we leave him in Pittsburgh ?...We do not need him in the least bit and his salary is killing us. Cant wait to see the kids again tonight.....Louzan and Zboril are looking like potential 3-4-5 Dmen......Frederick has everyone here excited....But i think i will wait to see more. Same with Studs......Penguin meat is always good on Tuesday for the Bear....

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Looked great witout Gryz....Can we leave him in Pittsburgh ?...We do not need him in the least bit and his salary is killing us. Cant wait to see the kids again tonight.....Louzan and Zboril are looking like potential 3-4-5 Dmen......Frederick has everyone here excited....But i think i will wait to see more. Same with Studs......Penguin meat is always good on Tuesday for the Bear....
Salary is killing us? That you JJ?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
When Pasta returns....

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Studnicka
Frederic - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Debrusk is out, who steps in?

Kuhlman?

Marchand Bergeron Bjork
Ritchie Krejci Studnicka
Frederic Coyle Smith
Wagner Kuraly Kuhlman

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If I were coaching this team, I'd change the way the defense is set up...

I'd break up Lauzon-McAvoy. Lauzon has a team worst expected goals against, which means teams are getting their best 5on5 scoring chances when he's on the ice, despite the fact he's 5th on the team in 5on5 TOI. He's also a team worst -3. That pair has looked very hit or miss to me. They create a breakaway, then give up a breakaway... I don't think Lauzon has played poorly, but I don't see the chemistry, communication or coordination yet between these two.

Gryz - McAvoy

Gryz leads the defense in shot suppression AND shot generation. He also leads the defense in expected goals for, which means he's not just generating shots he's generating quality shots. He and Mac have great chemistry and every year they've played together they've dominated 5on5 hockey, which we need.

Zboril - Carlo

Zboril had a bad night against Pittsburgh but overall he's been one of our best defensemen. He's third in shot suppression and second in shot generation. However, when he does give up a shot it tends to be a very good scoring chance. Carlo is the opposite, he's very good at denying scoring chances. They haven't played together a lot, but when they are together they seem to tap into the best of each other; they generate chances better than any other pair and deny chances better than every other pair. Like I said, it's a small sample, but the numbers are so strong it's worth exploring.

Lauzon - Miller

I think Lauzon would benefit from playing with the calmer Miller. Miller is second on the team in shot suppression which would go a long way to helping improve Lauzon's numbers. They don't have a pure puck mover in the pair, but both of these guys can make plays and join the rush (Miller's crossbar rush against Pitts). They should be a punishing pair, and you can employ them more against heavier teams. Plus, they can start every PK with this unit intact.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If I were coaching this team, I'd change the way the defense is set up...

I'd break up Lauzon-McAvoy. Lauzon has a team worst expected goals against, which means teams are getting their best 5on5 scoring chances when he's on the ice, despite the fact he's 5th on the team in 5on5 TOI. He's also a team worst -3. That pair has looked very hit or miss to me. They create a breakaway, then give up a breakaway... I don't think Lauzon has played poorly, but I don't see the chemistry, communication or coordination yet between these two.

Gryz - McAvoy

Gryz leads the defense in shot suppression AND shot generation. He also leads the defense in expected goals for, which means he's not just generating shots he's generating quality shots. He and Mac have great chemistry and every year they've played together they've dominated 5on5 hockey, which we need.

Zboril - Carlo

Zboril had a bad night against Pittsburgh but overall he's been one of our best defensemen. He's third in shot suppression and second in shot generation. However, when he does give up a shot it tends to be a very good scoring chance. Carlo is the opposite, he's very good at denying scoring chances. They haven't played together a lot, but when they are together they seem to tap into the best of each other; they generate chances better than any other pair and deny chances better than every other pair. Like I said, it's a small sample, but the numbers are so strong it's worth exploring.

Lauzon - Miller

I think Lauzon would benefit from playing with the calmer Miller. Miller is second on the team in shot suppression which would go a long way to helping improve Lauzon's numbers. They don't have a pure puck mover in the pair, but both of these guys can make plays and join the rush (Miller's crossbar rush against Pitts). They should be a punishing pair, and you can employ them more against heavier teams. Plus, they can start every PK with this unit intact.

Why break up something that is working right now? And chances are improved after they get more chemistry?

Bruins are well aware of analytics. They use it more than just about every other team. But it's now all based on it.

We are always trying to outsmart coaches around here.

Reactions: Number6

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Why break up something that is working right now? And chances are improved after they get more chemistry?

Bruins are well aware of analytics. They use it more than just about every other team. But it's now all based on it.

I wouldn't say I'm trying to outsmart the coaches, it's just an opinion on a discussion board. You've never thought they should try something they're not currently doing? Or that two guys who aren't playing together might have chemistry?

I'm also not suggesting the Bruins don't know how to use analytics, in fact I'd say I'm a lay person when it comes to them, I'm just using them to explain how I arrived at my opinion.

As far as your question; Why break up something that's working? Their play 5on5 hasn't been very good. With the exception of the Carter Hart meltdown, they've struggled to score 5on5. Lauzon and McAvoy are both minus players and IMO have looked really out of sync at times. I wouldn't say that's working. I'd say they're winning despite their 5on5 play. Their PP is definitely working, their PK is working great too, but I'd like to think they're looking at ways to improve their 5on5 play (that don't completely rely on Pasta fixing everything).

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I wouldn't say I'm trying to outsmart the coaches, it's just an opinion on a discussion board. You've never thought they should try something they're not currently doing? Or that two guys who aren't playing together might have chemistry?

I'm also not suggesting the Bruins don't know how to use analytics, in fact I'd say I'm a lay person when it comes to them, I'm just using them to explain how I arrived at my opinion.

As far as your question; Why break up something that's working? Their play 5on5 hasn't been very good. With the exception of the Carter Hart meltdown, they've struggled to score 5on5. Lauzon and McAvoy are both minus players and IMO have looked really out of sync at times. I wouldn't say that's working. I'd say they're winning despite their 5on5 play. Their PP is definitely working, their PK is working great too, but I'd like to think they're looking at ways to improve their 5on5 play (that don't completely rely on Pasta fixing everything).

Which is why they want 1 puck mover and one shutdown guy on each pair. You move Gryz up and now your 5 on 5 may improve (it also may not because most of the issues were with forwards not d-men) and then you have weakened one of the other pairs considerably.

The back end is improving game-to-game.

Without looking, which d-man do you assign these stats to:

Player A: 18 shot attempts - 44.4% hit the target
Player B: 19 shot attempts - 68.4% hit the target
Player C: 18 shot attempts - 61.1% hit the target.

Do I make suggestions? Yes I did just before the season. And the d-pairs were exactly as they are. I know and they know it's going to take more than 6 games to find their chemistry and for now, yes it's working. I think it will only get better.

But other than that, no I don't make line suggestions. Other than the fact I never want to see Karson Kuhlman anywhere than the 4th line or lower.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

My heart sank reading this.

Reactions: TCB and Dr Hook

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I know, but cheer up buttercup, they traded Danton Heinen who was/is an analytics darling for Nick Ritchie who isn't.

Actually Ritchie had pretty strong analytics in Anaheim, while Heinen never really jumped off the page in a good or bad way. I would think that most analytically minded people were at least mildly optimistic about that trade.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Actually Ritchie had pretty strong analytics in Anaheim, while Heinen never really jumped off the page in a good or bad way. I would think that most analytically minded people were at least mildly optimistic about that trade.

Just going by what our analytics fans here had been posting for the past few seasons. I myself am only mildly interested in them but the word was always that Heinen was great on those esoteric measurements that I cannot claim to understand to any great depth.

Reactions: kjpm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad