Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Are people just listing names at random now?

Sportnet mentioned Keith as a high value target. CHI needs to clear space to begin rebuild. They don't think Keith is willing to waive NMC today, but if CHI comes out and sucks again, they wonder of he could change his mind. He has 3 years left at $5.5m. They can't rebuild until He and/or Seabrook are gone.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
They need both.

Although I will concede that with proper line jimmying, they MAY be able to balance their attack when healthy. And if you compare Kase/Smith to Nordstrom/Heinen, that is a clear upgrade. Ritchie was basically Backes without the leadership or cap number, so that one is a wash.

Krug being gone is a massive hit to the scoring though and shouldn’t be ignored when discussing overall team improvement.
I don't think Krug lost is a massive hit to the scoring, at 5vs5 ha was not better than Carlo so... and on the power play, McAvoy could be a replacement and we can play a forward at the point

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I get the NMC issue, but it's almost arbitrary.

Any upgrade to Boston's D corps is going to mean someone the Bruins value gets exposed in the expansion draft. To me it's worth it for a D who can play top pairing minutes. Would I prefer someone younger? Sure. But, the Bruins do not have the assets to acquire a younger proven top pairing D without dramatically weakening the current roster. Hanafin has done little to prove he is capable of carrying the load against top lines night in and night out. Sergachev would have been great but he is off the table. In either case, the Bruins would have sold the future as well as present (Carlo+) to bring them in - and STILL the Bruins would end up exposing a young, up and coming D (Gryz) in the process.

In the case of Keith, you are undervaluing him. He is still a de facto top pairing D at a manageable cap hit. He led CHI playing 24 minutes last night and, to me, doesn't really look like he has lost all that much. The team around him is NOT good. There is a cost for that sort of player, but hopefully not the sort of cost that removes any chance of re-tooling in 2021 and beyond.

Bottom line, if you are worried about exposing D to Seattle, then you have to make peace with this current D corps. OR acknowledge that there are different ways of doing business...like offering assets for SEA to lay off Gryz in lieue of a Moore.

I am at peace with this D-corps to be perfectly honest. I'm not terribly interest in Keith at age 37, despite the fact he's still a fairly capable player. Bottom line, I'm not interested in losing a good young D-man to protect Keith, it's pretty much that simple.

Getting into the whole offering good valuable assets to Seattle to get them to lay off Boston's better exposed players in order to shed a bad contract/worse player is a fools game. Vegas hood-winked a bunch of GMs playing that game. Two of the most prominent (Minnesota and Anaheim) lost out badly. Mark my words you won't see many GMs go down that road with Seattle. The vast majority are gonna just say "here's whose not protected, take your pick" and be done with it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have no issue going with the kids, agree with you.
Hutton and Moore are close in talent, you can get Hutton for 1M a year now if you wanted.
At that price it makes him a better add vs Moore would.
Not sure what DS was thinking giving a #6-7 dee that contract ( Moore).
Terrible.

Problem is Moore is already here and I don't think they can get rid of his contract in the current marketplace.

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Sportnet mentioned Keith as a high value target. CHI needs to clear space to begin rebuild. They don't think Keith is willing to waive NMC today, but if CHI comes out and sucks again, they wonder of he could change his mind. He has 3 years left at $5.5m. They can't rebuild until He and/or Seabrook are gone.

Exactly , so why are you giving up assets to help them out? They need to give you assets, not the other way around.

They already got away with the Hossa allergic to equipment BS, no way I'm gonna be any part of helping them circumvent the cap any further. Come on man !!!!

Last edited:

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
NFW , If he's #2 bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

He plays 24 mins a night in every situation and puts up 40pts per season on average. Add in the experience, the cups. That's more than a solid #2. The guy still skates like he's 24 out there. Don't take it from me. It was Jeff Marek, Anthony Stewart, Emily Kaplan of Sportsnet radio all in a agreement.

Chara was our #2 with far less output and we got to game 7. So, forgive me if I do not kiss my own ass.

As for "not helping CHI" - if you get a #2D for a good value cap hit and reasonable term and its a player who can makes the B's better...I do it. Clearly you don't like Keith...that's your prerogative. But, I would say you are letting your bias cloud your vision. The guy is still very, very good.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You are mistaken. He would be BOS #2 immediately. He is a fitness freak like Chara.

Seabroke & Keith are the primary reason the hawks have dropped significantly. Age, wear & tear, and turtlitis have hurt the hawks the past number of years.

Bruins should clear far away from those types of players. Thinking they finally understood this after the Backes signing.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Seabroke & Keith are the primary reason the hawks have dropped significantly. Age, wear & tear, and turtlitis have hurt the hawks the past number of years.

Bruins should clear far away from those types of players. Thinking they finally understood this after the Backes signing.

I would say that gigantic cap hits for Kane and Toews and the albatross of Seabrook's contract are the culprit for CHI. Again, Keith is giving CHI 40pts of 200 foot hockey 24 mins a night for less than $6M a year. He is essentially as effective as Bergeron and Krejci are for Boston. Would you say they are washed up?

Seabrook is definitely toast and has been for years.

But there isn't a single metric that supports the argument that Keith is a problem for Chicago.

I will let this argument die - but before I go, this was posited by Sportsnet...I didn't pull this out of my arse.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't mind Moore...I actually think he's good value. The problem is depth at D. Bruins greatest strength is the abundance of quality D prospects.

I don't mind him either to be honest. Problem in moving him is the Bruins have absolutely destroyed his trade value since the calendar turned to 2019 with him shuffling in and out of the line-up to the point where he now has negative value with his current contract.

My assessment of Moore is he isn't a guy who will be effective shuffling in and out as the 7th/spare D-man. But give him consistent reps/mins as an everyday regular player, keep his engagement and confidence level high, and he can be an effective two-way D-man. Some guys just aren't suited to being spare players, just as some goalies aren't suited being back-ups and vice versa.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Keith would mean the end of Chara, no? Can’t have two guys like that on the defense but I’d easily take Keith over any of them. He’d be a legit upgrade, even at 37. He’d also allow you to slot guys down where they belong.

Keith — McAvoy
Grzelcyk — Carlo
Lauzon — Clifton
Zboril/Clifton/Lauzon
Miller

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Keith would mean the end of Chara, no? Can’t have two guys like that on the defense but I’d easily take Keith over any of them. He’d be a legit upgrade, even at 37. He’d also allow you to slot guys down where they belong.

Keith — McAvoy
Grzelcyk — Carlo
Lauzon — Clifton
Zboril/Clifton/Lauzon
Miller

I am pretty baffled what people think of Keith. The guy is more or less Lidstrom, in terms of his durability and endurance. And sadly, yes, it would mean the end of Chara. And I am not sure if it is realistic to expect that. But Keith gives you what Chara did, in terms of leadership and experience, but with better on-ice results. The other nice thing about Keith is that you can rest him as needed and play kids along the way. Chara struggles when he isn't playing 20+ every night.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Still plays massive minutes, can skate and produce points. If Keith is a massive anchor, what has Chara been?

Chara is also probably a hinderance to McAvoy, but at least he's still a good player in some specific aspects of the game. Keith just isn't the player he was, doesn't belong in top-4 in a legitimate contender. He plays a lot because Chicago's defence is atrocious and also probably because his name is Duncan Keith and he has 3 more years in his contract.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Keith — McAvoy
Grzelcyk — Carlo
Lauzon — Clifton
Zboril/Clifton/Lauzon
Miller

:facepalm:

This smells Backes, Hayes, Ritchies, Beleskey, Lapointe, Rinaldo, Jagr, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad