Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I am at peace with this D-corps to be perfectly honest. I'm not terribly interest in Keith at age 37, despite the fact he's still a fairly capable player. Bottom line, I'm not interested in losing a good young D-man to protect Keith, it's pretty much that simple.

Getting into the whole offering good valuable assets to Seattle to get them to lay off Boston's better exposed players in order to shed a bad contract/worse player is a fools game. Vegas hood-winked a bunch of GMs playing that game. Two of the most prominent (Minnesota and Anaheim) lost out badly. Mark my words you won't see many GMs go down that road with Seattle. The vast majority are gonna just say "here's whose not protected, take your pick" and be done with it.

If you show me a huge difference between gryz, lauzon, zboril, clifton i might worry which one seattle will take

Sadly we are going to lose some young guy who has a future as a lower tier 4th dman

We will still have a few left to fill our roster... it will be fine. Depth dmen is not a shortage here

Filling our open top 3 slot for a couple years while we cross our fingers for a kid to dvelop is a need

We are trying to extend our window now... we will be in rebuild in 3 seasons... worrying about a mid pair dman then is no reason to deny a top pair dman now

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
:facepalm:

This smells Backes, Hayes, Ritchies, Beleskey, Lapointe, Rinaldo, Jagr, to me.

Backes = PWF who was over 30 at time of contract. Had a good year, got hurt and began to fall off. Old age and wear played a huge factor as well. Terrible move.

Hayes = coming off 20 goal season. Traded an at-the-time struggling Reilly Smith. Hayes was 25 and entering the prime of a player. Bad trade.

Ritchie Brothers = Brett was a LR/MR signing if he figured it out. Cost zero assets. Nick, the jury is still out on. He was traded for a winger who was the same situation but different attributes. Not close to comparable.

Beleskey = coming off a career year and big playoffs. He came to Boston on a contract that was long but considered less than what he’d get. People forget he had a good season and set a career high in points. He got hurt, didn’t recover and fell off. Signed at 27, so in the prime.

Lapointe = Can’t comment as I don’t remember him much. He was influential in Bergeron though right? Would like a walkthrough of the player and how he compares to to Keith in this hypothetical situation.

Rinaldo = Apples to tire fires type comparison.

Jagr = both older players. Comparison makes some sense as they were both used in top lineup type roles at older ages. However, Jagr was 41-42 here in Boston. At 37-38 he was still producing very well in the NHL like Keith is now. There is a big difference in ages there, even both being older. Also, they play different positions. Keith is still playing huge minutes and producing despite the age.

To me, you didn’t provide much of a counterpoint with these players.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Backes = PWF who was over 30 at time of contract. Had a good year, got hurt and began to fall off. Old age and wear played a huge factor as well. Terrible move.

Hayes = coming off 20 goal season. Traded an at-the-time struggling Reilly Smith. Hayes was 25 and entering the prime of a player. Bad trade.

Ritchie Brothers = Brett was a LR/MR signing if he figured it out. Cost zero assets. Nick, the jury is still out on. He was traded for a winger who was the same situation but different attributes. Not close to comparable.

Beleskey = coming off a career year and big playoffs. He came to Boston on a contract that was long but considered less than what he’d get. People forget he had a good season and set a career high in points. He got hurt, didn’t recover and fell off. Signed at 27, so in the prime.

Lapointe = Can’t comment as I don’t remember him much. He was influential in Bergeron though right? Would like a walkthrough of the player and how he compares to to Keith in this hypothetical situation.

Rinaldo = Apples to tire fires type comparison.

Jagr = both older players. Comparison makes some sense as they were both used in top lineup type roles at older ages. However, Jagr was 41-42 here in Boston. At 37-38 he was still producing very well in the NHL like Keith is now. There is a big difference in ages there, even both being older. Also, they play different positions. Keith is still playing huge minutes and producing despite the age.

To me, you didn’t provide much of a counterpoint with these players.

LaPointe was a pro’s pro who played the game right. Wasn’t worth the contract but was a mentor to Bergeron.

Jagr was nowhere as bad here as people want to make him out to be. I’m amazed that all the advanced stats guys didn’t love him because I swear he had the puck on his stick for about 70% of his TOI.

Problem was, he hit 22 posts in his time here.

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
Nah. He was right. Guy LaPointe came long before before Martin LaPointe.

Guy LaPointe also smoked over a pack a day and had a piece of his lung removed.

Duncan Keith trains like Chara does and still skates like the wind.
Guy Lapointe never smoked a pack a day. You are thinking about Guy Lafleur.

Idunkmyoreos

Sep 28, 2017
I might be a majority of one but I say play one or two of the kids (Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak). If there is one thing the Bruins have done very well in recent years is develop defensemen in Providence. After some time there Krug, Grzelcyk , Clifton and Lauzon when recalled fit it in quite seamlessly and showed they were ready and did not return to Providence. Zboril has been tutored for three years and Vaak for two and both looked ready in their short callups. They were drafted and developed for a reason so play them and see. If not there is the trade deadline.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I was talking about over the hill d men that came to Boston....Guy Lapointe 1983-84 Boston Bruins

OK. Apologies, but thought you were talking within the last 2 generations .. ;-)

As for Keith, at 4M cap for the next few years, he would likely be worth it vs. Moore or some other filler for 2-3M. Guy isn't what he once was but is aging a bit like a mini Lidstrom in his latter years. Can still skate for recovery and transition, pass, clog lanes and play 18-20 a night without being a liability. I don't that for a second he is coming here for a lot of the reasons stated previously, but he wouldn't be a liability at that cap hit for another couple of years.

That signing wouldn't be like with Coffey or Leetch where they were trying to bring in a name and face for the D. This would be a more complementary move as the yutes grow into their shoes.

Grz-Mac
Keith-Carlo
Zboril-Lauzon
Moore-Miller
Vaak

Again, not going to happen but that is a good top 4 with good depth. As for trades and whatnot, I would still be going after Fowler in ANA.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Blackhawks are trying to rebuild but they are anchored by those big four contracts. Kane and Toews aren't going anywhere. Seabrook is toast. Duncan Keith, however, is still excellent at age 37 thanks to his insane skating and attention to fitness training. He is owed $5.5m for another 3 years, a solid value. I am not sure if he would waive for BOS, but the B's could use a veteran D who can still log >20mins a night to mentor the young D.

I am sure, if Keith was open to moving, Sweeney could find a deal that worked for CHI.
This is ridiculos......Which is why a "born sucker" like Sweeney may be interested......This would be really Dumb...............Which is why Sweeney would probably do it.....It wont happen...But with a GM this dumb....It could.

Reactions: Blowfish

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
OK. Apologies, but thought you were talking within the last 2 generations .. ;-)

As for Keith, at 4M cap for the next few years, he would likely be worth it vs. Moore or some other filler for 2-3M. Guy isn't what he once was but is aging a bit like a mini Lidstrom in his latter years. Can still skate for recovery and transition, pass, clog lanes and play 18-20 a night without being a liability. I don't that for a second he is coming here for a lot of the reasons stated previously, but he wouldn't be a liability at that cap hit for another couple of years.

That signing wouldn't be like with Coffey or Leetch where they were trying to bring in a name and face for the D. This would be a more complementary move as the yutes grow into their shoes.

Grz-Mac
Keith-Carlo
Zboril-Lauzon
Moore-Miller
Vaak

Again, not going to happen but that is a good top 4 with good depth. As for trades and whatnot, I would still be going after Fowler in ANA.
I watch a great deal of hockey, including Hawk games now and then ( pre covid) and I noticed a HUGE decline in Keith's game in the last 2 years. He looses just about every one on one battle now. Yes, he is still a decent skater, but can be beaten one on one now, whereas 3-4 years ago he could not.
He is no more than a 5-6th dee on most teams now that are challenging for a cup. Even for 4 M cap hit I pass on him.
I have always liked Fowler and have posted this before. He is a dee I go after, if we can get him for somone like Vaak, a pick and another mid level prospect. He would flourish in Boston, is the perfect partner for Carlo or Mac.

Reactions: Blowfish

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Oh, and there was nothing wrong with Martin Lapointe, he did what he was suppose to here. Just because JJ wanted to "get even" with Illitch because another owner told him what a terrible owner he was and he overpaid for Lapointe in a non cap league wasn't the players fault.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I watch a great deal of hockey, including Hawk games now and then ( pre covid) and I noticed a HUGE decline in Keith's game in the last 2 years. He looses just about every one on one battle now. Yes, he is still a decent skater, but can be beaten one on one now, whereas 3-4 years ago he could not.
He is no more than a 5-6th dee on most teams now that are challenging for a cup. Even for 4 M cap hit I pass on him.
I have always liked Fowler and have posted this before. He is a dee I go after, if we can get him for somone like Vaak, a pick and another mid level prospect. He would flourish in Boston, is the perfect partner for Carlo or Mac.
Fowler would be great if we could get him for what you stated but we do not have the Cap space. Someone will have to go to make this work as I believe he gets 6.5 mil a year. Would be a very useful addition though.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I might be a majority of one but I say play one or two of the kids (Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak). If there is one thing the Bruins have done very well in recent years is develop defensemen in Providence. After some time there Krug, Grzelcyk , Clifton and Lauzon when recalled fit it in quite seamlessly and showed they were ready and did not return to Providence. Zboril has been tutored for three years and Vaak for two and both looked ready in their short callups. They were drafted and developed for a reason so play them and see. If not there is the trade deadline.
They were drafted because the GM sucks. Go with "the kids" get a top ten pick Sweeney can screw up again.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I have zero fear in our d right now! McAvoy Carlo as the core to our #1-2 defence pairings. They both will log 22-24 minutes a night. Lauzon i feel is a great partner for McAvoy. Stay at home guy, size, toughness, simple game. Gryzz with Carlo will be an upgrade 5on5 vs Krug. Then we got Zboril, Moore, Miller, Clifton, Vaak, and maybe Chara. We just won the Jennings with Krug in the top 4 and a 42 year old Chara on our top pair. Little faith here folks

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There is a giant range of outcomes with our defense. I think they have the upside to be one of the top units in the league but on the flip side they have the possibility to be an adventure too

I think they’ll probably settle somewhere in the middle. Not sure it’s championship caliber but I guess that’s what deadline is for

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you show me a huge difference between gryz, lauzon, zboril, clifton i might worry which one seattle will take

Sadly we are going to lose some young guy who has a future as a lower tier 4th dman

We will still have a few left to fill our roster... it will be fine. Depth dmen is not a shortage here

Filling our open top 3 slot for a couple years while we cross our fingers for a kid to dvelop is a need

We are trying to extend our window now... we will be in rebuild in 3 seasons... worrying about a mid pair dman then is no reason to deny a top pair dman now

Keith has been on the decline awhile now. He's still a decent D-man, but he's not going to "extend our window" or any such foolishness while he approaches 40 years old. The guy by my account has played more minutes than any player in hockey since the 05 lockout if you start counting playoffs, international, etc. He may be a fitness freak like Chara but the wear and tear adds up.

Let's see what we have in Lauzon/Zboril/Gryz/etc. can do before going out and hedging their bets on an older declining player.

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
There is a giant range of outcomes with our defense. I think they have the upside to be one of the top units in the league but on the flip side they have the possibility to be an adventure too

I think they’ll probably settle somewhere in the middle. Not sure it’s championship caliber but I guess that’s what deadline is for

As our offence. There is a big potential but will it just remain potential? We will see and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad