Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion III - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just saw they need a veteran RD and were tight up against the cap.
They get that guy who can move up and play #4 if Tanev gets hurt in Moore and a work in progress with Bjork.
I was actually more interested what people from a Boston Bruin fan base perspective thought of this........not what Calgary thought? Would you make this trade if it was you?

Yes but I'm pretty bias as Lucic is one of my all-time favorite Bruins. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure I'd classify Moore as a guy who you would want moving up into you Top 4. Let's face it, while I actually find Moore to be a decent D-man, the Bruins have killed his trade value to the point where I'm not sure they could give him and his contract away for future considerations. Up to January 10, 2019, he played 41 of 44 games. After that, he's only played 55 of the next 144 games. Granted some of those games were due to his shoulder injury, but some were also him being a healthy scratch many times as the Bruins chose to play Miller or Gryz and eventually Clifton over Moore. Other teams see him not being part of the line-up many nights despite being healthy enough to play and it doesn't reflect well on the player. I think he likely has negative trade value at this point, and the Bruins would have to provide another team incentive to take him and his contract.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes but I'm pretty bias as Lucic is one of my all-time favorite Bruins. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure I'd classify Moore as a guy who you would want moving up into you Top 4. Let's face it, while I actually find Moore to be a decent D-man, the Bruins have killed his trade value to the point where I'm not sure they could give him and his contract away for future considerations. Up to January 10, 2019, he played 41 of 44 games. After that, he's only played 55 of the next 144 games. Granted some of those games were due to his shoulder injury, but some were also him being a healthy scratch many times as the Bruins chose to play Miller or Gryz and eventually Clifton over Moore. Other teams see him not being part of the line-up many nights despite being healthy enough to play and it doesn't reflect well on the player. I think he likely has negative trade value at this point, and the Bruins would have to provide another team incentive to take him and his contract.

Don stockpiled that TOR 7th rounder for next season- package that with Moore and ship him out :laugh:

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don stockpiled that TOR 7th rounder for next season- package that with Moore and ship him out :laugh:

If only........

Honestly though, what type of incentive would Sweeney need to attach to Moore to convince another team to take him and his contract? Considering guys like him are pretty much getting 1-year offers south of a million in the current market.

Would a 3rd rounder do it? I'm not sure.

A 2nd? Probably but I would not say it's a guarantee.

A 1st rounder is probably more likely, as sad as it is to say. Teams just don't want to take on money and term, especially for depth-level players.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Didn’t sign in for probably a couple weeks and come back hoping to see some news. Bruins really are ok with just signing Craig Smith huh? Dropping Krug and maybe Chara, then adding Craig Smith was the big shakeup?

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Call me sentimental but (if healthy and $ worked out) and I was another team I'd take chance on Moore. He's a great skater, good size at 6'2 210lbs, can play either side, is only 29, and has shown he's a good teammate. Yes he's has his moments on the ice, but so do many other D.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
people in the know are still hinting theres going to be a lot of scrambling by teams before the next season can get under way... internal caps havent fully reared their ugly heads yet. teams are trying to keep their cards hidden in this game of poker. weve seen how teams like vegas and tampa that were more aggressive announcing their cap issues have gotten zero offers for some very good talented players

now when everyones clock runs out, there will be a mad scramble to find soft landing spots

I wonder... is it our plan all along to take advantage of this upcoming opportunity? or did we get a taste of the market and just figure it was too expensive for us to move our unwanted burdens?

almost any plan to add someone at this point... does require us moving someone as well.

it aint sexy to accept the truth... but things are looking very logically as if we are done for the moment. I know fans got a bad taste of guys like john moore and nick Ritchie at the end of last season... but both are shy of 30. both were talented enough to be first round draft picks. and both actually had solid nhl careers going before they got to boston

they are part of the plan here... sorry

we might lack a 'brand name' offensive dman with a huge track record of success... but kids like McAvoy/grezlyck have always had the reputation that their skills will lead towards more offensive success. carlo/zboril might not be destined for huge offense but they are considered better than average skill level for skating/passing.

we were best in the nhl for preventing goals last year... and not much reason to think we got weaker. if chara does sign on we will have our best pk defender back. if rask doesnt show mental problems after the way last year ended we will continue to have the best goaltender duo in the nhl.

up front our offense is much better than the team that started last year... kase/smith/Ritchie are a huge upgrade over Heinen/kuhlman/nordstrom

with some luck debrusk will find consistentcy… pastrnak is obviously just blossoming into someone truely elite. marchand showed no sign of slowing down last year with another top 10 scoring finish

I guess we are going to save some of our cap room... see how the market unfolds as everyone else gets forced to deal with their rfa and their internal budgets... and its actually not the worst place for us to find ourselves in today

Reactions: cat400

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Call me sentimental but (if healthy and $ worked out) and I was another team I'd take chance on Moore. He's a great skater, good size at 6'2 210lbs, can play either side, is only 29, and has shown he's a good teammate. Yes he's has his moments on the ice, but so do many other D.

So would I. Truth is, when he was getting consistent reps and minutes in the 1st half of 2018-19, he played very well. It's hard to stay sharp when your in and out of the line-up which is basically what happened to him from mid-January onward.

I think part of it is Cassidy. He doesn't know how to utilize Moore. He's not a banger/heavy guy like say Miller, he's not a speedy puck-mover like Gryz. He's just a slightly above-average sized D-man who does a lot of things pretty well but doesn't excel in any particular area. Another guy that was like that here was Postma, another jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type of player. I'd toss Nick Holden into that mix as well.

Reactions: mjhfb

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So would I. Truth is, when he was getting consistent reps and minutes in the 1st half of 2018-19, he played very well. It's hard to stay sharp when your in and out of the line-up which is basically what happened to him from mid-January onward.

I think part of it is Cassidy. He doesn't know how to utilize Moore. He's not a banger/heavy guy like say Miller, he's not a speedy puck-mover like Gryz. He's just a slightly above-average sized D-man who does a lot of things pretty well but doesn't excel in any particular area. Another guy that was like that here was Postma, another jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type of player. I'd toss Nick Holden into that mix as well.

I think Moore is a better player than we give him credit for.

If Chara doesn't come back the B's should keep him around.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think so too, but I don't think he's a guy who can be constantly in and out of the line-up and play at his full capability. He's basically in a battle right now with Zboril/Clifton/Miller/Lauzon for one of three more D-man spots in the line-up. And they aren't carrying 9 D-men so something would have to give if Chara is re-signed. Miller's health/readiness is also a question mark.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I would think this is exacty why he has not been moved, bought out, waived whatever. I know many of us were hoping something like that would happen as he has always seemed like an unnecessary spare part, but given the state of things with Chara probably done and Krug gone, they could do worse than have Moore as an option for the LD.

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If only........

Honestly though, what type of incentive would Sweeney need to attach to Moore to convince another team to take him and his contract? Considering guys like him are pretty much getting 1-year offers south of a million in the current market.

Would a 3rd rounder do it? I'm not sure.

A 2nd? Probably but I would not say it's a guarantee.

A 1st rounder is probably more likely, as sad as it is to say. Teams just don't want to take on money and term, especially for depth-level players.

Yes, a second rounder, or a prospect that is not waivers eligible that a team could stick in the AHL if needed. Probably better to keep him at that price and wait till the dust settles and normalcy returns.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario

I completely agree with you assessment. my problem is those types of players do not get 5 year contracts.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I completely agree with you assessment. my problem is those types of players do not get 5 year contracts.

You always overpay in free agency unfortunately. I think a lot of the Moore signing was desperation to add some size to the D-corps after seeing Krug and Gryz get pummeled by TB in the 2018 series. Neely himself made comments to that effect.

Problem is the coach (Cassidy) preferred to play the smaller defender (Gryz) over Moore on the left-side once he had a full compliment on the right-side (McAvoy/Carlo/Miller). Which makes you wonder who made the call to pursue Moore (Neely or Sweeney) and how much communication was with the coach on his potential utilization.

Reactions: wintersej

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
We are hearing how bad the left D is now , so lets get rid of our 2nd best right D so that we can become a bit more truculent.
If Mathew Tkachuk is coming back ...Bye-Bye

although Id prefer Brady

No way Sweeney does anything even close to this. He has his hands in his pockets and the only way he does something in the trade market of this magnitude is if another team blows his drawers off.

Reactions: duffy

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

although Id prefer Brady

No way Sweeney does anything even close to this. He has his hands in his pockets and the only way he does something in the trade market of this magnitude is if another team blows his drawers off.

I don't think you'd get Matthew Tkachuk for two Jake Debrusk's + two Brandon Carlo's. Seriously he's Calgary's most important player, I'd argue he's their franchise player (granted the competition for that title on Calgary isn't exactly stiff). The wheels fell completely off against Dallas the second Tkachuk went down to injury.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
You always overpay in free agency unfortunately. I think a lot of the Moore signing was desperation to add some size to the D-corps after seeing Krug and Gryz get pummeled by TB in the 2018 series. Neely himself made comments to that effect.

Problem is the coach (Cassidy) preferred to play the smaller defender (Gryz) over Moore on the left-side once he had a full compliment on the right-side (McAvoy/Carlo/Miller). Which makes you wonder who made the call to pursue Moore (Neely or Sweeney) and how much communication was with the coach on his potential utilization.

I felt like Grezclyk's game took off in Moore's first season. I feel like Grezclyk wrestled the position away and was not expected to be a full time player at all.

I could definitely be wrong.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I felt like Grezclyk's game took off in Moore's first season. I feel like Grezclyk wrestled the position away and was not expected to be a full time player at all.

I could definitely be wrong.

That was definitely part of what happened to Moore, you're absolutely right. He (Moore) was playing very well and consistent, but competition was fierce for ice time among D that year with really everyone having solid performances. Even later when they lost Miller look how Clifton stepped in an played very well. I don't think they expected that either but Clifton forced the coaching staff to keep him in the line-up.

Reactions: HustleB

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

although Id prefer Brady

I know it wouldn't actually happen (Debrusk and Carlo for Tkachuk) but it would renew my enthusiasm and at least all Tkachuks play Bruins hockey.
Sweeney is way too gutless to pull the trigger on such a deal anyways.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I know it wouldn't actually happen (Debrusk and Carlo for Tkachuk) but it would renew my enthusiasm and at least all Tkachuks play Bruins hockey.
Sweeney is way too gutless to pull the trigger on such a deal anyways.

Yup. Yeah I would do the deal no question not that Calgary would and i was just reflecting on my displeasure with Sweeney inability to do something positive in the trade market before the deadline. always same old excuses, we were in on it, couldn't make it fit under the cap, we have the kids want to bring out competition among them.

Id take either Tkachuk in a heartbeat. I think Brady is the better one. Tougher more skilled and the kid going to be a perianal 30 + goal score for the next 10-15 years although Matthew isn't to shabby neither, I just feel Brady ceiling is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad