Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion III - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
What does that even mean , that he was on the ice and dressed . I can count on one hand the times I saw Chara get physically engaged last season. I'm not questioning whether he could if he wanted to but Chara usually doesn't initiate the physical play at least not anymore.

And do you think him averaging 21 minutes per game is a good thing - I don't . At best he should be getting 8-10 minutes as a 3rd pair with added PK time as necessary.

I think if Chara is not resigned Carlo and Lauzon need to step up as the clear the net front defenders . And remember clearing the net front in today's NHL is not what it was even 5-10 years ago.
Well it must mean something, he killed penalties and had a regular shift plus lead the team in +/-.

He does not engage in physical activities much but his presence alone can still keep players honest.

Well I think the move out of the front the net D is still important as Maroon went there at will in the playoffs.

I am not saying they have to resign Chara but they should try and add an established player to the D core. Otherwise they need to shore up the offense with Hoffman/Granlund to try and generate a more balanced attack.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Which is why I don't think he should be resigned. Cassidy , except for the playoffs hasn't really reduced his minutes . I fear if he's on the team he'll get way more minutes than he should.

This is a legitimate concern I agree.

Reactions: duffy

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Not sure why we wouldn’t try to increase the value of our own home grown talent then trade for someone that hasn’t proved anything in the NHL.

Like some have even suggested trading DeBrusk for Bean .. lol

Sorry IF he’s not a number 1 or 2 possibly a 3 defender with great upside then why in world would you give up on JDB ..

Guess I’m crazy

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419 and Ratty

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I really do not care about the regular season stats. We have had a lot of finishing in the top 5 and they resulted in one cup in 10 years. Give me playoff success any day. In the playoffs Chara's his icetime was only above Clifton for the dee. Mac was doing double duty skating the puck out of both corners and taking a lot of unnecessary cheapshots. Tampa exposed Chara and Cassidy played him a lot less in all situations. Bring him back in a coaching role. The PK will be fine with Carlo, Mac, Grizz and Lauzon. I still think a vet dee is needed to be with Mac to replace Krug and Chara's experience - OEL would have been great. Hopefully they still are looking.

Chara was bad in the return to play. So were Carlo and Krug. Did Chara finally hit the wall, or did he just have trouble with the return to play like a lot of guys did?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yup. As I mentioned I don't know a lot about him aside from the stats which are impressive. Both are first rounders.

Bean was the AHL D-man of the year. He's ahead of Vaakanainen in terms of his development and is a more well-rounded player as he possesses a considerable offensive component to his game, unlike Vaak.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Calgary needs a RD and we need to move some players to rid ourselves of the log jam

Andres Bjork + John Moore (both have 3 seasons left on their contract total cap hit of 4.35)
for
Lucic (1 million retained) 3 seasons left at 4.25 million

Lucic-Studnicka-Frederic could be a very interesting 4th line. The kids would have the toughest SOB in the league to play with. Frederic learning the ropes from Looch could be interesting too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Cherry

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Chara was bad in the return to play. So were Carlo and Krug. Did Chara finally hit the wall, or did he just have trouble with the return to play like a lot of guys did?

I think he hit the wall gradually over the years but it is time. Krug brings mainly offence to the game but there was no secondary scoring, rendering his strengths. Carlo is young and a good second RD, he will bounce back.

On the other hand I did not see a lot of older slower dee having a hard time on Tampa. Dallas could have used that excuse but vets Pavelski and Corey Perry were solid for 4 rounds.

When the pace and intensity upped its game in the playoffs it highlighted things we got away with during the season. Isolating those top 3 guys who are not the fastest puck movers was a plan Tampa used. During the season no one made that concentrated an effort to break them down.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Calgary needs a RD and we need to move some players to rid ourselves of the log jam

Andres Bjork + John Moore (both have 3 seasons left on their contract total cap hit of 4.35)
for

Lucic-Studnicka-Frederic could be a very interesting 4th line. The kids would have the toughest SOB in the league to play with. Frederic learning the ropes from Looch could be interesting too!
:clap:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

for

Yes because Lucic has been very effective after leaving Boston.

Beleskey Backes Hayes Ritchie = Lucic.

No more lumbering turtles please.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419 and duffy

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

for

Why would Calgary do this?

Their D looks pretty good. Giordano, Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev and Valimaki make up their Top 5 guys with Nestorov and Kylington for depth. If they want a depth right-shot D there are cheap options than John Moore still left in free agency they could get for about 1-year and 700k.

And the like Lucic in Calgary. And it would appear Lucic likes Calgary. He had an effective playoff for them, provides leadership and toughness and he's found a role under Geoff Ward. Doesn't make him untouchable certainly, he's overpaid no question, but I don't see either party (The Flames or Lucic) in any rush to end their relationship considering Year 1 went pretty good. Unless they are in love with Bjork (doubtful) I don't see any incentive for Calgary to make that deal, even if it was Bjork straight up for Lucic with no retention.

Reactions: duffy

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Why would Calgary do this?

Their D looks pretty good. Giordano, Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev and Valimaki make up their Top 5 guys with Nestorov and Kylington for depth. If they want a depth right-shot D there are cheap options than John Moore still left in free agency they could get for about 1-year and 700k.

And the like Lucic in Calgary. And it would appear Lucic likes Calgary. He had an effective playoff for them, provides leadership and toughness and he's found a role under Geoff Ward. Doesn't make him untouchable certainly, he's overpaid no question, but I don't see either party (The Flames or Lucic) in any rush to end their relationship considering Year 1 went pretty good. Unless they are in love with Bjork (doubtful) I don't see any incentive for Calgary to make that deal, even if it was Bjork straight up for Lucic with no retention.

Just saw they need a veteran RD and were tight up against the cap.
They get that guy who can move up and play #4 if Tanev gets hurt in Moore and a work in progress with Bjork.
I was actually more interested what people from a Boston Bruin fan base perspective thought of this........not what Calgary thought? Would you make this trade if it was you?

Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad