Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion III - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
i would be looking to trade Rask.Not totally hating on the guy but i don't think he ever wins a Cup. Always seems to give up late goals at the end of periods.I would have been all in on Holtby.Anyone think there is a market for Rask?Still liking the versatility of a Granlund or a trade for Killorn from the Bolts.

Right but Halak will? The only reason Rask won't win a cup is because he goes down with the ship in Boston and fades away with the rest of the core. Rask was 2 wins away in 2013 and 1 away in 2019, but keep saying he's a win nothing goalie and will "never win". The point isn't that he choked (as did the rest of the players on those teams) but that he's taken the team on his back to the next level and (as a team) failed. Losing goaltenders don't take teams to the finals.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Right but Halak will? The only reason Rask won't win a cup is because he goes down with the ship in Boston and fades away with the rest of the core. Rask was 2 wins away in 2013 and 1 away in 2019, but keep saying he's a win nothing goalie and will "never win". The point isn't that he lost (as did the rest of the players on those teams) but that he's taken the team on his back to the next level and (as a team) failed. Losing goaltenders don't take teams to the finals.
Game 7 wasnt his fault . Bruins couldn't bury their early chances and that broke the back of the team.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Game 7 wasnt his fault . Bruins couldn't bury their early chances and that broke the back of the team.

Neither were his fault, my point may have come across poorly.

Basically the "trade Rask" garbage can stop anytime now because it results in a rebuild. Unless the return is crazy good AND we have a starter coming back but that goalie market is good now

Reactions: The don godfather

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I actually think Zboril could be a good partner for McAvoy. I haven’t watched any providence games but Leach said he was used on the top pairing this year and relied on him heavily. I think he will become a 30-40pt two way dman that plays with an edge.

if we don’t lose a dman in expansion this is a pretty solid d core

Zboril-McAvoy
Vaak-Carlo
Gryz-Lauzon
Wolff-Clifton

Reactions: CellyHard

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Well Lauzon has played 35 games in the NHL and Zboril 2. Not exactly top 4 material now or if ever.

Once upon a time Bobby Orr played 2 games....and he played 35 games also

Same with Ray Bourque

Not at all saying that this will what they will become, so don't try to go there..
BTW...if you can see the future, what are the winning lottery numbers for tonight?

Reactions: duffy

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I was just pointing out that the top 4 you listed wasn't a proven top 4. It has nothing to do with Boston's top 4.
Well okay if you want to go in depth about it, but he does play over 22 minutes per game. He does average about 32 points per season and can easily fit into a top 4 role.

Someone on here is really interested in making him an offer sheet and pay him him 5 mil or more. He does have the tools.

Finally he would crack our top 4 with very little difficulty.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I actually think Zboril could be a good partner for McAvoy. I haven’t watched any providence games but Leach said he was used on the top pairing this year and relied on him heavily. I think he will become a 30-40pt two way dman that plays with an edge.

if we don’t lose a dman in expansion this is a pretty solid d core

Zboril-McAvoy
Vaak-Carlo
Gryz-Lauzon
Wolff-Clifton

Where is Miller?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Same with Ray Bourque

Not at all saying that this will what they will become, so don't try to go there..
BTW...if you can see the future, what are the winning lottery numbers for tonight?
Well for your info I can go there if I wish. Just 1 question for you, how much time did Orr and Bourque spend in the minors?

They came in and played on very good teams and had the skills to do so.

I am not saying Lauzon and Zboril are complete duds, but they are no sure fire NHL defensemen.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Same with Ray Bourque

Quite the absurd analogy considering who Orr and Bourque were even after 2 games.

BourqueChara

Oct 16, 2020
Right but Halak will? The only reason Rask won't win a cup is because he goes down with the ship in Boston and fades away with the rest of the core. Rask was 2 wins away in 2013 and 1 away in 2019, but keep saying he's a win nothing goalie and will "never win". The point isn't that he choked (as did the rest of the players on those teams) but that he's taken the team on his back to the next level and (as a team) failed. Losing goaltenders don't take teams to the finals.
i would have tried my best to sign Holtby.There just seems to be something off with Rask's demeanor.I dont think it was a coincidence he publically stated the bubble was awful and it didnt feel like playoff hockey,then he opts out of the bubble.i understand he said it was about his kid but he was golfing a couple days later.i hope he proves me wrong this year but i bet we dont resign him to an extension.Not sure we have a #1 goalie in our pipeline for the future.Colorado would be best place to trade him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was thinking this as long term.

this year would be more like this

Zboril-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Lauzon-Miller
Clifton

If they don't re-sign Chara, than John Moore is part of the mix this year (and he should be).

Without Chara, I see it as basically three guys locked into the line-up (Gryz/McAvoy/Carlo) and 5 guys (Zboril/Lauzon/Clifton/Miller/Moore) competing daily for the other 3 spots each night. They won't risk hurting their depth by only carrying 7 guys and maybe losing someone to waivers. In particularly the 3 younger guys.

Keep in mind this is all predicated on Kevan Miller being healthy enough to play, which isn't a guarantee at this point.

Reactions: HustleB and mjhfb

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Without Chara, I see it as basically three guys locked into the line-up (Gryz/McAvoy/Carlo) and 5 guys (Zboril/Lauzon/Clifton/Miller/Moore)

I agree. Without Chara I think they slot Moore in the top4 to start...

Gryz - McAvoy
Moore - Carlo

Of that 5 man group you mentioned, I think Lauzon has the best chance of taking a leap forward in his development and becoming a top4 guy...

Lauzon - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo

Neither option is very strong, by contender standards.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree. Without Chara I think they slot Moore in the top4 to start...

Gryz - McAvoy
Moore - Carlo

Of that 5 man group you mentioned, I think Lauzon has the best chance of taking a leap forward in his development and becoming a top4 guy...

Lauzon - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo

Neither option is very strong, by contender standards.

I see it the same way. It's the veteran's (Moore) spot to loose. I said it a couple days ago, when Moore was getting consistent minutes and was a consistent part of the line-up back in the first half of 2018-19 he played well.

I think if he's healthy enough to go Miller has the edge on the 3rd pair RD spot over the 3 young guys.

Sweeney won't risk any of Clifton/Zboril/Lauzon being lost to waivers. Without injuries it's tough to manage 8 D-men as one guy can easily get lost in the shuffle and sit for an extended period (see Joe Morrow as the 8th D in 2016-17 when he went nearly 3 months without game action).

Another factor is the AHL. You can utilize 2-week conditioning stints to try and keep the young guys fresh and not worry about waivers (although even these may be limited). But what if the AHL isn't up and running?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well okay if you want to go in depth about it, but he does play over 22 minutes per game. He does average about 32 points per season and can easily fit into a top 4 role.

Someone on here is really interested in making him an offer sheet and pay him him 5 mil or more. He does have the tools.

Finally he would crack our top 4 with very little difficulty.

Don't get me wrong , I like the player. But so far he has proven he can effectively run a powerplay. He has played mostly on 3rd pairing and PP. Despite his size he isn't very physical. He'd probably play higher up in the line up if Tampa wasn't as deep on LD.

I agree he would crack our top four but that's not really saying much is it, especially on LD?

I have doubts about his defensive abilities, I don't want to say he's horrible but because he's not but he does well on 3rd pairing because he should be playing higher up in the line-up. I'm not so sure he'd look as good on the 2nd pairing and I doubt he'd look good at all on the top pairing.

So while I get how people want to throw money at him a) to screw Tampa and b) to stick it to the Habs , I'd be careful about how much money I offer. I mean what are you gonna offer him that would screw Tampa without screwing yourself ? That's a tricky number.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Quite the absurd analogy considering who Orr and Bourque were even after 2 games.

The point is , can someone tell me that neither of these players is guaranteed to not be a top 4?
So I guess if someone spent time in the minors they would never be a top 4.....

I also think situations were a bit different then....

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Well for your info I can go there if I wish. Just 1 question for you, how much time did Orr and Bourque spend in the minors?

They came in and played on very good teams and had the skills to do so.

I am not saying Lauzon and Zboril are complete duds, but they are no sure fire NHL defensemen.

1 answer....Orr was scouted as a 12 year old. Both were drafted very high with very high expectations....the assumption that someone will never be a top 4 because they did spend time in the minors is what I find absurd

Like I said....no sure bet either way but to discount someone because they played in the minors is ridiculous

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The point is , can someone tell me that neither of these players is guaranteed to not be a top 4?
So I guess if someone spent time in the minors they would never be a top 4.....

I also think situations were a bit different then....

The point is valid. And very possible.

But I think we can agree that neither Zobril nor Lauzon is ever going to be a Bourque or Orr.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
theres been a powerful agenda with quite a vocal minority {majority?} here how horrible our drafting/developing talent is... I guess I can see why they are now cheering so strongly against the possibility our kids will be coming through for us

after years of agenda posting, they might have nothing at all to say for the next many years??? :)

but we shall see what we shall see... the truth is we've been graduating kids into the nhl at a maginificent level of success for years now. looking around the nhl you see sooooooo many of our drafted and developed kids playing extremely successful roles on a lot of teams {even our own}

it might be fun screaming the sky is falling... the sky is falling... but eventually it doesnt fall and chicken little becomes the fool

we shall see... we shall see...

luckily I have been watching more closely and ive seen enough to be pretty happy with my expectations. its a good time to be a bruin fan

bandwagon seems to have more room than normal now... a lot of people sitting on the edge have dropped off... invations need to be issued to get back on as we gather speed. dont get left behind I say

its a good time to be a bruin fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->