2020-2021 Roster Discussion II-STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Bruin

Sep 14, 2020
North Jersey
I say give it one last run this upcoming season. Clearly this is the last shot. Personally I think the window shut Game 7 of last year, but I want to see the boys have one last crack at it. Don't make any moves that hamper us after 2021.

The 2022 draft is apparently going to be absolutely loaded. Give it a go this season. Cup or not, tear it down the offseason after and try to get in the lottery for one of the 2022 studs.

When I say tear it down, anyone not named Pasta, March, Berg, McAvoy are all available.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
To me, 'give it a try' is not an option if we're serious about a final Cup push. If Bruins' management decide now is the time to rebuild because they believe that the core is cooked or Papa Jacobs doesn't want to fork out the full $81.5 mil next season, then fine, you can give Gryz a go on the top pair while you assess your long term options. But I just don't like the odds of him proving up to it if Boston wants to be a genuine contender again. He just doesn't have the talent - I think heavy top lines will abuse him in the corners, and the skilled ones will strip or go around him too often.

For a 5'9 defender to be capable of handling big minutes and hard match-ups, they've got to be packing some serious skills. Gryz's skating and puck movement are fine, but not elite, and his IQ and ability to maintain possession are sometimes a little lacking. Playing top pair also makes him an even bigger target for hard checking than he is already, since taking him out will hurt the team more than it would if he was a 2nd or 3rd pair guy. McAvoy's great and very capable in covering a teammate's limitations, but I don't think it would be enough.

I'd be perfectly ok with him on the 2nd pair with Carlo and sharing PP time with Chucky. I think he's earned at least a chance to solidify that promotion. But top pair is probably a bridge too far and will also weaken McAvoy by leaving him with too much to do, just as having to prop up Chara was beginning to tell on him this year. If the Bruins want a tilt at the Cup, I really don't see that Sweeney's got any choice but to go external for a new #1 LD. They don't have to be an absolute stud, just someone who's a solid body and can be counted on to be responsible in his own end, while McAvoy goes to work as the playmaker.

Thanks for the well thought out post, as always :). I appreciate your points, but I disagree in that I think Gryz is ready for it and I have a higher opinion of his skills and believe it is worth the Bruins while to explore this. In a different situation, i.e. we have a solid secondary scoring unit on line two, maybe they can afford to go looking for a high dollar LD to pair with McAvoy. But the problem the team has that surpasses everything else is secondary scoring. Whatever issues the defense had in the playoffs, it was secondary to not being able to consistently score goals outside the top line. First things have to come first.

Resources and cap space need to be first and foremost committed to signing a player like Hall, or Dadonov, or whoever that is going to bring your 60 points and 25 goals playing alongside Bergeron or Krejci. Whatever is left after that, if there is an opportunity to get a top 4 solid defender for the left side, fine, but it would be too Bruins to go find an LD and not even a top tier one and then get nothing else but perhaps a bottom 6 grinder like Chiasson and leave the gaping hole in secondary scoring unaddressed.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Thanks for the well thought out post, as always :). I appreciate your points, but I disagree in that I think Gryz is ready for it and I have a higher opinion of his skills and believe it is worth the Bruins while to explore this. In a different situation, i.e. we have a solid secondary scoring unit on line two, maybe they can afford to go looking for a high dollar LD to pair with McAvoy. But the problem the team has that surpasses everything else is secondary scoring. Whatever issues the defense had in the playoffs, it was secondary to not being able to consistently score goals outside the top line. First things have to come first.

Resources and cap space need to be first and foremost committed to signing a player like Hall, or Dadonov, or whoever that is going to bring your 60 points and 25 goals playing alongside Bergeron or Krejci. Whatever is left after that, if there is an opportunity to get a top 4 solid defender for the left side, fine, but it would be too Bruins to go find an LD and not even a top tier one and then get nothing else but perhaps a bottom 6 grinder like Chiasson and leave the gaping hole in secondary scoring unaddressed.

You're welcome - same to you!

You may be right. Sometimes players rise to the occasion when given extra responsibility, and Gryz is definitely a guy who takes a lot of pride in his game and certainly won't fail for lack of effort or heart. I like him, and he's certainly grown in the last 2 years, probably more than most of us thought. As I said, I'm sceptical if he can handle top pair duties, but I agree with your points on what the Bruins' priorities need to be and the fact that the cap space might not extend to another top 4 LD on top of our other needs.

Genuine top 6 winger/s is absolute first priority, 1 is fine if we're talking Hall or similar, ideally 2 if we're looking more at guys like Dadonov or Craig Smith. Then improving our defensive stocks if there's money to spare, and any other cheap adds after that if there's still a few scraps left to spend. You're spot on - it has to be proper quality up front, not a 'just ok' guy on the 2nd line and then another average operator on D. Get the forward picture right first, and then see what you can afford and make work on the blueline.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I say give it one last run this upcoming season. Clearly this is the last shot. Personally I think the window shut Game 7 of last year, but I want to see the boys have one last crack at it. Don't make any moves that hamper us after 2021.

The 2022 draft is apparently going to be absolutely loaded. Give it a go this season. Cup or not, tear it down the offseason after and try to get in the lottery for one of the 2022 studs.

When I say tear it down, anyone not named Pasta, March, Berg, McAvoy are all available.

Welcome!

I pretty much feel the same - deep down I'm quite sure 2019 was the moment and they should have capitalized on it, but I just can't give up on this core yet and I'm on board for one final run. I think they can do it without compromising the future, indeed if they're smart about their moves this off-season they can improve both their short and long-term prospects at the same time. Of course that's the big IF.

NJ Bruin

Sep 14, 2020
North Jersey
Welcome!

I pretty much feel the same - deep down I'm quite sure 2019 was the moment and they should have capitalized on it, but I just can't give up on this core yet and I'm on board for one final run. I think they can do it without compromising the future, indeed if they're smart about their moves this off-season they can improve both their short and long-term prospects at the same time. Of course that's the big IF.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

We're definitely on the same page. Try to help for THIS coming season, whether it's one-year deals or rentals at the deadline. I personally don't want to see any big contracts/UFA signings, whether it's Krug or Hall or whoever. The rebuild is coming, let's not make it harder than it already is.

Reactions: Gordoff

NJ Bruin

Sep 14, 2020
North Jersey

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
If they’re going to trade with the Oil for another forward I’d rather have Puljujarvi. Another guy with unfulfilled talent who’s a RW who has been unable for one reason or another to achieve his potential.
The Bruins is actually a team that could mold a player like Puljujarvi... with a careful and patient AHL-seasoning before an NHL-journey, not brun him like the Oilers did by putting too muck pressure on him too soon! I´m all in to swing for Puljujarvi - if for no other reason that he is a finn and they are usually stubborn as hell.

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
If, and it's a big if, they are willing to spend to the cap, so money wouldn't be a problem, assets wise, definitely not enough.

That being said, if they are not spending to the cap I'd go full rebuild because it would be pointless icing the same team again.
Tempting as it may sound, the way I see it a full rebuild is not an option for the Bruins... with so many iconic profiles that are synonymous with the franchise. Bergy, Marchy, Krejci, Rask (Pasta, Carlo, McAvoy) + Chara and Krug. Anyone beyond the latter two being on another team next season would be going raise a lot of emotions. Krejci might be moved sure... and maybe maybe Rask, but that would still not qualify as a rebuild. Bruins simply haven´t built their team around mercs like some other teams!

NJ Bruin

Sep 14, 2020
North Jersey
Tempting as it may sound, the way I see it a full rebuild is not an option for the Bruins... with so many iconic profiles that are synonymous with the franchise. Bergy, Marchy, Krejci, Rask (Pasta, Carlo, McAvoy) + Chara and Krug. Anyone beyond the latter two being on another team next season would be going raise a lot of emotions. Krejci might be moved sure... and maybe maybe Rask, but that would still not qualify as a rebuild. Bruins simply haven´t built their team around mercs like some other teams!

I agree this team is full of iconic players. Unforturnately the writing is on the wall. Chara may be done already. 1 more yeat at the most. Krug is gone. Krejci and Rask can walk after next season. I don't think Carlo is nor should be mentioned along with Pasta and Charlie.

That leaves Bergy, Marchy, Pasta, and McAvoy. Keep those 4 after next season and start the mini-rebuild. Our prospect pool looks pretty weak (especially in terms of high-end talent).

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
I agree this team is full of iconic players. Unforturnately the writing is on the wall. Chara may be done already. 1 more yeat at the most. Krug is gone. Krejci and Rask can walk after next season. I don't think Carlo is nor should be mentioned along with Pasta and Charlie.

That leaves Bergy, Marchy, Pasta, and McAvoy. Keep those 4 after next season and start the mini-rebuild. Our prospect pool looks pretty weak (especially in terms of high-end talent).

Valid extra point in the fact that our prospect pool does not allow us to do a major shake up through trade - the way forward is through free agent signings... Hall or Pietrangelo (+ a couple more) is all to aim for in my eyes this season, along with some 'rounding out/complementary' player/position.

NJ Bruin

Sep 14, 2020
North Jersey
Valid extra point in the fact that our prospect pool does not allow us to do a major shake up through trade - the way forward is through free agent signings... Hall or Pietrangelo (+ a couple more) is all to aim for in my eyes this season, along with some 'rounding out/complementary' player/position.

It's the way forward if you think this current group can still legitimately contend. You say a rebuild can't happen; it can, it can't if you sign another big contract or two. If we just ride it out with this team next year (even with 1-year deals/rentals) the rebuild could happen as soon as 2021/2022. Chara retires, Krug walks this summer, Krej and Rask walk after next year...even with keeping the 3 big guns and McAvoy you could start the rebuild.

It all boils down to whether or not you think a Hall or Pietrangelo is the difference between a Cup or not. Truthfully I don't think the answer is clear one way or another but I'd have to lean towards not. Therefore I don't think it's worth taking on a long term deal that could hamper a proper rebuild.

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
It's the way forward if you think this current group can still legitimately contend. You say a rebuild can't happen; it can, it can't if you sign another big contract or two. If we just ride it out with this team next year (even with 1-year deals/rentals) the rebuild could happen as soon as 2021/2022. Chara retires, Krug walks this summer, Krej and Rask walk after next year...even with keeping the 3 big guns and McAvoy you could start the rebuild.

It all boils down to whether or not you think a Hall or Pietrangelo is the difference between a Cup or not. Truthfully I don't think the answer is clear one way or another but I'd have to lean towards not. Therefore I don't think it's worth taking on a long term deal that could hamper a proper rebuild.

I'm not convinced either if Hall or Pietrangelo (even both) is a clear path to the CUP-final, but I'm more than willing to give our core yet another shot at it.. with all my heart! A 'rebuild' is already hinted to commence by both Neely and Sweeney as of now, but a 'full rebuild' (which was what I was sceptic against as to ever possibly happen the B´s in the near future) is another thing. Signing Hall is the way I see it not a hindrance in anyway either, if we don´t offer another NMC/NTC - our loyalty towards him after next season would be nowhere near the one we hold towards Bergy-Marchy-et.al. The same would be the case with Pietrangelo! One has to remember too that in a rebuild you need older players that can groom the younger ones - a full rebuild usually means that most or all older players of value are shipped away for younger prospects and picks! In two years even Hall with his reputation/past could be a player that guides younger ones, especially if he has achieved his ambitions with us.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Coyotes reportedly listening to offers for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

With the NHL offseason right around the corner and several notable trades having already occurred in recent weeks, the trade winds are blowing around the league. One of the more intriguing players who may be available is Arizona Coyotes captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports that there is interest in the star defenseman, naming the Boston Bruins, Calgary Flames, and Edmonton Oilers as three teams that have checked in. Ho

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

This year is a deep draft, but 2022 ans 2023 will be as well, Shane Wright and Adam Fantili are two guys I would love on the Bruins in the future.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Coyotes reportedly listening to offers for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

With the NHL offseason right around the corner and several notable trades having already occurred in recent weeks, the trade winds are blowing around the league. One of the more intriguing players who may be available is Arizona Coyotes captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports that there is interest in the star defenseman, naming the Boston Bruins, Calgary Flames, and Edmonton Oilers as three teams that have checked in. Ho
I really hope we lose out on the OEL trade front, let him go to Montreal or Toronto and screw up their cap for the next 7 years.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Vegas isn’t trading two of their young studs for anything short of a stud back.
Is this where we point out where the Bruins players are each younger than their Vegas "Young Studs" counterparts, or that Pastrnak's goal totals last season eclipsed both Vegas studs' career goals?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass

Nothing is a clear path . You take a chance or not. Your in the rebuild mode. That means drafting the right players which starts right now. So which vets do you want to trade off . Starting now! Forget the one year deals it’s a waste of time. Hall or Pietrangelo at least would keep you competitive and start a rebuild. They did the same thing when they signed Chara and Savard too. You can do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad