2020-2021 Roster Discussion II-STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, saw that. Can I just f*** no!!! to that? He is not worth that kind of money, not to the Bruins who need a goal scorer, not a RD, as good as AP is.

As a ask that's a pretty good one, not crazy at all.
Pietro deserves more than Skinner.

Karlsson 11.5M, Doughty 11M, Josi 9M, Carlsson 8M

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
AP would be a great signing, but unless he can put 25 goals in the net from the wing, he should not be a priority. Would Carlo net you that guy? Possibly, but Bruins would need to add I'm sure. Here would be my cynical fear: they add AP, and don't end up with the scoring winger they desperately need.

Your fear is valid , who could tell you otherwise after what we've watched unfold for the last 5 years counting?

Can Carlo return that top 6 winger with an add ? Maybe, maybe not but then you could trade him for picks and get your winger from FA market.

I don't think there is enough offence coming from our D , especially if Krug leaves , Carlo is not the answer to that issue.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As a ask that's a pretty good one, not crazy at all.
Pietro deserves more than Skinner.

Karlsson 11.5M, Doughty 11M, Josi 9M, Carlsson 8M

It may be in line what other players have gotten, but it doesn't make it a good deal. Skinner is overpaid, Doughty and Karlsson are overpaid. John Carlson, okay, fair enough, but he's the lowest of the bunch and still his term goes to age 36. Josi? Great player but too big and long of a contract for his age. I don't want the Bruins to do something that stupid because others have. AP may well be right to ask for that much, but no thanks, and I can see why St. Louis walked away.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Your fear is valid , who could tell you otherwise after what we've watched unfold for the last 5 years counting?

Can Carlo return that top 6 winger with an add ? Maybe, maybe not but then you could trade him for picks and get your winger from FA market.

I don't think there is enough offence coming from our D , especially if Krug leaves , Carlo is not the answer to that issue.

I get it, I have gotten more cynical by the year haha! I just don't trust these buggers to sign AP at a huge contract and then go on to actually get another top-tier higher end salary guy. My guess is they would sign AP and add someone like Michael Frolik or trade for Chiasson and think that would do the trick :laugh:

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The Bruins entire D corps combined for a grand total of 23 goals last season , nowhere near enough.

Even the 24th place Habs had 41 , that's almost double!!!!:help:

Tampa's D have provided 13 goals in the PO's the Bruins 2

So while we need a winger who can score it seems obvious to me that we need to up scoring contributions from our D as well.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
The Bruins entire D corps combined for a grand total of 23 goals last season , nowhere near enough.

So while we need a winger who can score it seems obvious to me that we need to up scoring contributions from our D as well.
You got your numbers wrong. They had 32 goals combined.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It's a little misleading (not you trying to mislead) when the Habs got 15 from Weber, with a PP set-up that was focused on feeding him for one-timers. And TB has 9 of their 13 goals from Hedman whose on a historic pace for a D-man goal scoring wise.

But yes, the Bruins absolutely need more goal-scoring from the back-end. I think it can come internally provided they find a way to make it easier for D to score from the point by causing more traffic in front of the net.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's a little misleading (not you trying to mislead) when the Habs got 15 from Weber, with a PP set-up that was focused on feeding him for one-timers. And TB has 9 of their 13 goals from Hedman whose on a historic pace for a D-man goal scoring wise.

But yes, the Bruins absolutely need more goal-scoring from the back-end. I think it can come internally provided they find a way to make it easier for D to score from the point by causing more traffic in front of the net.

Yes, especially on the PP too- Krug for all that he was good at that part of the game had a pretty crap shot from the point. He used to have a great one, but it vanished along with Jimmy Hayes' finish.

Reactions: Gordoff

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
Nothing is a clear path . You take a chance or not. Your in the rebuild mode. That means drafting the right players which starts right now. So which vets do you want to trade off . Starting now! Forget the one year deals it’s a waste of time. Hall or Pietrangelo at least would keep you competitive and start a rebuild. They did the same thing when they signed Chara and Savard too. You can do both.

A vital thing that hasn´t yet been discussed is what would Chara´s (then fairly high) 6M be today... if we expect Pietrangelo to be a possible game changer for years, what will his salary be worth 'relatively' to when Chara´s was signed / and against what hypothetical CAP? ...We all know it´s flat now, maybe even next year... but what happens after that... in this situation the Bruins are probably one of the teams who are hurt the least (expansion draft threat too)! Covid evidently hurts some teams (not to mention some players monetary careers) more than others (Krug for example)... so will they compensate for that later, by raising the Cap extra!?? Perhaps not, but all this has to be taken into account!

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
It may be in line what other players have gotten, but it doesn't make it a good deal. Skinner is overpaid, Doughty and Karlsson are overpaid. John Carlson, okay, fair enough, but he's the lowest of the bunch and still his term goes to age 36. Josi? Great player but too big and long of a contract for his age. I don't want the Bruins to do something that stupid because others have. AP may well be right to ask for that much, but no thanks, and I can see why St. Louis walked away.

I´d consider offering Pietrangelo 2 years / 10M... that would get us past 'the present window' and into the real phase of rebuild. For AP it would be a way to secure some money, and be able to sign for less later on... thus also being more movable/contender oriented and less 'ill-liked' by fans/media et.al. if his production starts to decline!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I´d consider offering Pietrangelo 2 years / 10M... that would get us past 'the present window' and into the real phase of rebuild. For AP it would be a way to secure some money, and be able to sign for less later on... thus also being more movable/contender oriented and less 'ill-liked' by fans/media et.al. if his production starts to decline!

If he took 2 years, that would be pretty well unprecedented for a an off-season's highest or nearly highest profile player. 10 mil. i.e. 12% of the cap on one player, even for two years , yikes. They pay that much and you pretty much guarantee you are not getting a high profile scorer on the wing.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I think if Cliffy is still with the team all year he'll contribute to scoring. The kid has a nose for the net.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I didn’t mean Bruins should pay that but considering UFA status and he’d be the best available UFA that’s really not a bad ask.

& should lower the other top UFA’s ask, like Hall

Reactions: Dr Hook

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Signings:

Hall-7 years, 7.125mill cap
Chara- 1 year, 1mill cap, 1.5 mill bonuses
Debrusk- 3 years. 3.25mill cap
Gryz- 3 years. 2.5mill cap
Zboril- 2 years, 800K cap
Senyshyn- 2 years, 800 cap

trades:

BOS: Palmieri
NJD: Kase, Bjork, Moore

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
Hall-Coyle-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Palmieri
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner
Frederic, Senyshyn

Lauzon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Zboril
Clifton

I have been going back and forth on a good player to pick up to play with McAvoy. My ideal partner would be a bigger guy who is more of a stay at home dman but still plays a strong two way game and has a bit of a mean streak. I feel like Lauzon has all those qualities and can take his game to another level playing with McAvoy. I think Gryz and Carlo are a great pair and Chara can be a great mentor to Zboril his rookie year like he has done for McAvoy and Carlo.

Bjork, Kase, Krug out, Hall, Palmieri, Zboril in. We keep the core together and add some big time talent for a serious cup run. We also keep good cap flexibility with Krejci, Palmieri, Rask, Halak, Ritchie, Kuraly and Chara all on expiring contracts.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Signings:

trades:

Hall-Coyle-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Palmieri
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner
Frederic, Senyshyn

Lauzon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Zboril
Clifton

I have been going back and forth on a good player to pick up to play with McAvoy. My ideal partner would be a bigger guy who is more of a stay at home dman but still plays a strong two way game and has a bit of a mean streak. I feel like Lauzon has all those qualities and can take his game to another level playing with McAvoy. I think Gryz and Carlo are a great pair and Chara can be a great mentor to Zboril his rookie year like he has done for McAvoy and Carlo.

Bjork, Kase, Krug out, Hall, Palmieri, Zboril in. We keep the core together and add some big time talent for a serious cup run. We also keep good cap flexibility with Krejci, Palmieri, Rask, Halak, Ritchie, Kuraly and Chara all on expiring contracts.

I like most of these, but for 2 of them. I think Chara needs to just retire and that is a little too much going for Palmieri, Moore is fine, but not both Kase and Bjork, one or the other and maybe a small add like Wagner.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Signings:

trades:

Hall-Coyle-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Palmieri
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner
Frederic, Senyshyn

Lauzon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Zboril
Clifton

I like it, but I think that you're very optimistic to think that Hall, and JDB will come in at those numbers. If they do we're in business but IMO JDB is going to be a sticky negotiation because his agent has the gall to be talking to the media about his expectations before even sitting down with Sweeney. Once he does Donny will take out his pocket watch and hypnotize him to his way of thinking. So, maybe you'll be right afterall.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I like most of these, but for 2 of them. I think Chara needs to just retire and that is a little too much going for Palmieri, Moore is fine, but not both Kase and Bjork, one or the other and maybe a small add like Wagner.
If Chara decides that he can be a third string d-man and give up the C then I think they'll sign him, they also may decide to sign him for one more year to keep him out of the hands of Montreal or Toronto.
Chara has a lot of pride and you never know what a guy will do if his pride is hurt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Chara decides that he can be a third string d-man and give up the C then I think they'll sign him, they also may decide to sign him for one more year to keep him out of the hands of Montreal or Toronto.
Chara has a lot of pride and you never know what a guy will do if his pride is hurt.

Whenever I read the suggestion of Chara handing over the captaincy I think of the San Jose Sharks and how they handled their captaincy. Stripping Marleau to hand it to 2nd year Shark Rob Blake. Then when Blake left, gave it to Thornton. Then they took it away from Thornton and went with no captain for a year before it became Pavelski. All in an 8-year span. Did it make any difference on the ice? No. Frankly I thought it was Mickey Mouse. Chara already calls Bergeron his co-captain. What difference does the shape of a piece of fabric stitch onto a jersey make really? Either your a respected leader on the team or your not.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The more I think about it the more I pass on OEL. My target is AP.

He and MacAvoy would be 1a and 1b

You have to give up assets to take on OEL's bad contract and he is already showing signs of decline.

Meanwhile AP costs nothing but cap hit , he is clearly a leader showing no signs of decline and could certainly fill the Spot Krug vacates.

Then you turn around and trade Carlo for either a 1st round draft pick + or a top 6 winger.

Win, win. Boom!!!
Now this is 100%. This is all win win. Next playoff we will have a Dallas style defence. AP and Mac on the ice for 90% of the game. Cup worthy

Reactions: duffy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Palmieri is a garbage fit for this team right now.
30y 1 year left on his contract and would take valuable assets to land.

If you want Palmieri you go out and sign Dadonov

Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta
Dadonov- Krejci- size
DeBrusk- Coyle- Stud/Kase

edit,

Granlund, as talked before could be a steal of the offseason type of signing and fit with Boston.

Extremely skilled and creative with the puck, and on top of it brings good defensive play from the wing, at 28y perfect UFA age.
Versatile, skilled all special teams player

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta
DeBrusk- Krejci- Granlund

Would actually be a pretty good looking top6, damm good defensively and would leave money for quality LD addition

a) Granlund could be a nice set up guy for DeBrusk and help him reach another level
B) with smaller top6 size should be added to bottom6, but that’s not the toughest thing to do, either now or at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad