Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Continued from he:

2020-2021 Roster Discussion -STAY ON TOPIC

Carried over from first thread OP @Dizzay :

Looking forward to next season, I know we're in the playoffs and should be focused on that, but what do you guys see happening with roster moves going into next season. Some big questions:

1) Does Chara return?
2) Does Rask come back
3) Do we pony up for Krug and if so, whats the cost?
4) Is Debrusk etched in as our #2 LW or do we go get a Taylor Hall?
5) Are there any UFA's that make sense for our team?

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
XXXX-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-Lindholm-Wagner

Studnicka, Frederic, Blidh,

XXXX-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

Vaak, Moore

Rask
Halak
Vlader

UFA/RFA
Chara
Krug
Gryzz
Nordstrom
Zboril
Debrusk
Senyshyn​

Last edited:

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
If I was the coach...and if Don sweeney is reading this I can probably move some stuff around and accommodate the position.

But I would separate Bergeron and Marchand 5 on 5.

I think a line of:

Debrusk Bergeron and Coyle

That would be a monster offensive and defensive line.

That being said Sweeney would need to strengthen the bottom 6 significantly.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Lose Krug. Sign Mike Hoffman. This will balance all 3 lines pushing Debrusk down with Coyle and Studnicka. If there is enough money to sign a LHD like Edmundson that would also be good. At some point the Bruins need to give a real chance to Vaakanainen or Zboril also. Lots to consider.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Hoffman-Krejci-Kase/Studnicka
DeBrusk-Coyle-Studnicka/Bjork
Kuraly-Frederic-Wagner/Kuhlman/Bjork/Ritchie

Reactions: sarge88

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If I was the coach...and if Don sweeney is reading this I can probably move some stuff around and accommodate the position.

I think a line of:

Huh? Who’s your third line center? Is it Bergeron? Coyle and DeBrusk should be together along with Bjork. Line did some good things. Seems like your throwing darts.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I think a line of:

Interesting idea of putting Coyle with Bergeron. Why not leave Marchand with Bergeron and make it a real two way monster line.

Krejci with Pasta.

Studnicka as 3rd line center.

Frederic as 4th line center.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Gaudreau Coyle Pasta
Marchand Bergeron XXX
XXX Krejci Kase

That’s an interesting base for a top 9 assuming you are moving out DeBrusk+ for Gaudreau. Bjork, Ritchie, Studnicka, Senyshyn, Frederic fighting for those two spots and for the spot with Kuraly and Wagner. Could work.

Hall Coyle Pastrnak
Marchand Bergeron XXX
XXX Krejci Kase

Is also an interesting foundation, with the same guys fighting for spots. Assuming DeBrusk is being an ass about his contract demands as rumored (but it’s early so how much is posturing), you likely are trading him for picks/prospects, although a one year bridge until Krejci and Rask are no longer on the books would be preferable!

So what’s a better scenario? If Hall comes in at under 9, I prefer the better size, the additional picks/prospects if DeBrusk is moved and the longer amount of prime years in a long term deal. The con of Gaudreau is that his contract expires right when he is turning 30...a small dude like that...scary next contract....scarier than Hall now.

edit: I’m modeling Coyle with two elite wingers after Panarin/Anisimov/Kane, which was VERY effective for Chicago.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've played with an idea of CF to see if the money works where you let Krug walk, sign Hall and trade Bjrok + Kase for Palmieri. Your top 9 would be:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Hall - Krejci - Pamieri
DeBrusk - Coyle - Studnicka

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Continued from he:

2020-2021 Roster Discussion -STAY ON TOPIC

from @Dizzay :

Looking forward to next season, I know we're in the playoffs and should be focused on that, but what do you guys see happening with roster moves going into next season. Some big questions:

1) Does Chara return?
2) Does Rask come back
3) Do we pony up for Krug and if so, whats the cost?
4) Is Debrusk etched in as our #2 LW or do we go get a Taylor Hall?
5) Are there any UFA's that make sense for our team?

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
XXXX-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-Lindholm-Wagner

Studnicka, Frederic, Blidh,

XXXX-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

Vaak, Moore

Rask
Halak
Vlader

UFA/RFA
Chara
Krug
Gryzz
Nordstrom
Zboril
Debrusk
Senyshyn​
Mr. Wally,

I will be a nice dude after some days reflecting and thinking about it. I hear Chara said he wants back. No problem, I bring him back as a spare Defence man on the bottom pair. NOT the first pairing with McAvoy. They will be days he don’t play .. He may be a healthy scratch too. He’s strictly depth at this point in his career. If he is not looking for that at this point.. I say , I wish you nothing but the best. We have number 33 ready and will raise it into the rafters at TD when you retire..

Rask.... If he don’t retire and I don’t think he will . Obviously if he does we need a goalie in FA. If he wants back in... no problem. Reality we need him people .. you will see why. I would trade him if they rebuild.. but let’s say they don’t . Tuukka comes back for one year only . His contract runs out , see you later either way. You have no interest after this year we have no interest as well.

This one hurts but NO on Krug . This is business for him and business for us too. Best of luck , even if you sign with sign Detroit or Montreal, although I think Vancouver could use him but not my problem..

Debrusk I move only for a good Dman I like Nurse doubt they can get him but somebody like him

I sign Hall and Dillon with the space not used for Krug. I ship out Moore’s contract for a late draft pick help clearing more space.

Studnicka , Frederic are playing they aren’t sitting NO more. I dump Ritchie and look for a fighter . I would not insert him every game but play the matchups who your playing that day or night.

Kase.. I drop him down on a bottom line or spare part him. If not, I trade him I just don’t think he’s a fit.

Nurse-
McAvoy
Dillon
Carlo
Clifton
Lauzon
Chara( maybe . maybe not)
Vaak
Zboril
Grizz

Studnicka
Frederic
Nordy

Out
Kase
Ritchie
Lindholm .. Wagner in ,
we have him anyway .

RASK
HALAK
VLADER
Sway-man I think he’s the other goalie I don’t know his name but he’s there too.

I’ M GOING “ ALL IN” Make the cap work I don’t care how it’s done lol

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
IMO Rask returns.

But if something wacky goes on....

Robin Lehner please.
If Rask leaves I'd be all in on Lehner if Vegas lets him walk. He is only 29 with plenty of solid hockey ahead of him. Give him the longer term he's been hoping for and that other teams may be afraid to give him.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
—Perfection line —
DeBrusk-Coyle-Kase
Bjork-Krejci-Toffoli
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner

?-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Clifton

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
—Perfection line —
DeBrusk-Coyle-Kase
Bjork-Krejci-Toffoli
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner

?-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Clifton
Watching McAvoy cover for Chara the past two seasons I wonder if it really matters who plays on his left side. Find someone who's style fits his IMO.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If the core is really past it's window, and it may well be, then why the hell bring Chara back at all? Deal Moore, let Nordy go. Maybe move Wagner or Lindholm also. The sooner they get started on getting your younger players acclimated and properly assessed, the less painful any sort of rebuild/retool is going to be. Zboril and Senyshyn need to play, not least because while they can never make up for the failure to draft Voldemort, I don't see how see Sweeney just admits total defeat there. Zboril needs to play and so does Senyshyn and let's see if something can salvaged from those picks. We also have Studnicka that needs to play, Frederic should also get a longer look this year. It's time for the Bruins to see what they really have in the cupboard. This isn't blowing up the roster, but the time is now to start the transition and it can begin by not re-signing the corpse of Zdeno Chara.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Posted these ideas (with minor variations) the other day and I just went to cap friendly to see if it could work and it fits under the cap at around 75m.

Trade Bjork, a Pick/Prospect for a 2nd line winger making around 3.75.

Trade Kuraly, Kase and Moore for prospects/picks to free up cap space.

If Chára is back he’s got to be on board with limited minutes/role and no back to backs, and maybe a few weeks off late in the season.

Let Krug walk.

JDB 2 years @ 3.25

Grzelcyk 3 years @ 3.0

Sign Hoffman 4 years @ 6.5

Sign Edmundson or Dillion for 2.5 - 3.0.

Keep Rask if he wants to return.
If not sign Holtby, Markstrom or Lehner to bridge to Swayman.

Cup Winning lineup 2020-2021

Hoffman - Krejci - (Trade Target)

JDB - Coyle - Studnicka

Ritchie/Wagner/Frederic/Nordstrom

Grzylcek - McAvoy
Dillon/Edmundson - Carlo
Chára - Clifton
Lauzon/Vaak

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Given his backloaded contract, Chicago's cap woes and the fact Saad half-asses it more and hits about as often as Debrusk, I'd assume a 2nd from the Blackhawks in return for Moore would do it.

I don't agree with your assessment of Saad.

Takeaways are a good, objective way to measure effort and Saad's 40 in 58 games would have him ranked 1st on the Bruins in TkA/gm. Ahead of Bergeron, Marchand, Coyle...

It's true he's not a real active hitter in the regular season, but he goes from averaging 43 hits per 82 in the regular season to 110 hits per 82 in the post-season. More importantly, he's a great net front presence. He can shield and protect the puck like Coyle, that's what's missing from the top6. They can tic tac the shit out of it but when a hot goalie is stopping everything he can see you need guys who can take away his eyes by setting screens and scoring on deflections. TB scored all 3 goals in G5 that way, including the series clincher with that meatball Maroon screening Halak.

He's fast, he's big, he averages 21 goals and 42 EVEN STRENGTH points per 82 games, and if he doesn't fit the team his contract is up and you can walk away.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
With all the MAF rumours I’m betting Lehner stays in Vegas

That’s a team with secondary scoring issue

I don’t disagree the Bruins need to be aggressive in adding some real talent this year, but I think people are writing off Kase too early. He performed BETTER on the point sheet than either Coyle or Mojo did when they joined the team last year. He is young and has a 20 goal season under his belt. Was he a disappointment for this season? Yes. Was how he (and Pasta’s) approach coming out of the break discouraging? Yes. But folks just writing him off are making a mistake. He can be a useful two way middle six guy in the mold of Palat.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don’t honestly understand all these trade options when similar guys are on the market for free.
This team’s prospect/asset pool is empty

High end
Hall

Good 1st line/top6
Dadonov, Hoffman

Ok top6
Toffoli

No need to waste on Palmieri/Saad

The issue for me, is that none of those guys provide a Coyle-like presence in the top6, and IMO that's an important element that we're missing. Nobody sets screens, nobody takes away the goalie's eyes... We also don't have guys in the top6 who can protect the puck against bigger D. It's pretty passing plays or nothing. Find me someone in the free agent market who can bring those elements and I'd be all for signing them.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The issue for me, is that none of those guys provide a Coyle-like presence in the top6, and IMO that's an important element that we're missing. Nobody sets screens, nobody takes away the goalie's eyes... We also don't have guys in the top6 who can protect the puck against bigger D. It's pretty passing plays or nothing. Find me someone in the free agent market who can bring those elements and I'd be all for signing them.

I think JDB is good in front of the net when he wants to be. He’s not huge or overly physical, but he’s good at tipping pucks.

I think the only issue with Jake is that he’s a third liner dressed in second liners clothing.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Posted these ideas (with minor variations) the other day and I just went to cap friendly to see if it could work and it fits under the cap at around 75m.

Trade Bjork, a Pick/Prospect for a 2nd line winger making around 3.75.

Trade Kuraly, Kase and Moore for prospects/picks to free up cap space.

If Chára is back he’s got to be on board with limited minutes/role and no back to backs, and maybe a few weeks off late in the season.

Let Krug walk.

JDB 2 years @ 3.25

Grzelcyk 3 years @ 3.0

Sign Hoffman 4 years @ 6.5

SignEdmundson or Dillion for 2.5 - 3.0.

Keep Rask if he wants to return.
If not sign Holtby, Markstrom or Lehner to bridge to Swayman.

Cup Winning lineup 2020-2021

Hoffman - Krejci - (Trade Target)

JDB - Coyle - Studnicka

Ritchie/Wagner/Frederic/Nordstrom

Grzylcek - McAvoy
Dillon/Edmundson - Carlo
Chára - Clifton
Lauzon/Vaak

I can get on board with this.

Reactions: sarge88

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think JDB is good in front of the net when he wants to be. He’s not huge or overly physical, but he’s good at tipping pucks.

I think the only issue with Jake is that he’s a third liner dressed in second liners clothing.

You're right!
Thing is, Jake (and the Bruins) have to realize that he's a third line wing. His ego got inflated a bit by them playing him too high in the lineup for so long (almost from day one IIRC). Now, he thinks that he's a 1st/2nd line wing and probably will also want to be paid like a high end wing. His game needs a good amount of work, and rounding out before he can even think that way. But of course he's a legacy and wants what he wants IMO. He's going to need to have a couple "prove it" years before that.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I don't agree with your assessment of Saad.

Takeaways are a good, objective way to measure effort and Saad's 40 in 58 games would have him ranked 1st on the Bruins in TkA/gm. Ahead of Bergeron, Marchand, Coyle...

It's true he's not a real active hitter in the regular season, but he goes from averaging 43 hits per 82 in the regular season to 110 hits per 82 in the post-season. More importantly, he's a great net front presence. He can shield and protect the puck like Coyle, that's what's missing from the top6. They can tic tac the shit out of it but when a hot goalie is stopping everything he can see you need guys who can take away his eyes by setting screens and scoring on deflections. TB scored all 3 goals in G5 that way, including the series clincher with that meatball Maroon screening Halak.

He's fast, he's big, he averages 21 goals and 42 EVEN STRENGTH points per 82 games, and if he doesn't fit the team his contract is up and you can walk away.
I won't harangue you with point-by-point refutations, but takeaways might be the one collated-from-the-stands NHL metric that is even more dire than hits.

Regardless, if you go after him, it absolutely has to be after Debrusk's extension is signed, as Debrusk's agent will sprain his index finger pointing at that contract as a comp should the Bruins acquire Saad. And nobody wants to pay Jake Debrusk $6M. I don't understand people wanting to pay Brandon Saad $7M next season either, but it appears to be a more popular stance than mine.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad