2020-2021 Roster Discussion II-STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Palmieri is a garbage fit for this team right now.
30y 1 year left on his contract and would take valuable assets to land.

If you want Palmieri you go out and sign Dadonov

Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta
Dadonov- Krejci- size
DeBrusk- Coyle- Stud/Kase

edit,

Granlund, as talked before could be a steal of the offseason type of signing and fit with Boston.

Extremely skilled and creative with the puck, and on top of it brings good defensive play from the wing, at 28y perfect UFA age.
Versatile, skilled all special teams player

I do prefer Palmieri because he has that “get inside” tenacity I think could play up in the playoffs are rub off positively on Bjork and Kase (if they are still around). But you are right, not worth paying the assets for what you can almost get for free.

Reactions: bbfan419

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do prefer Palmieri because he has that “get inside” tenacity I think could play up in the playoffs are rub off positively on Bjork and Kase (if they are still around). But you are right, not worth paying the assets for what you can almost get for free.

The prospect pool is so empty they shouldn’t go out to trade a 1st for Palmieri when Hall/Dadonov/Hoffman/Granlund are available for free.

The more I think the more I like Granlund for Boston.
Such a Boston type player, with him I’d even offer more term with some trade protection to keep the money down.

4 years for 4-5M.
Gives him security and money, they have a young family

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Trades:

DeBrusk + Moore for Nurse. (Gives the Bruins a LHD partner for Mac. Has some game and intangables)
Kase for pick(s). (Not needed, I admit I'm not a fan)
Gryzzy for pick(s). (Bruins have younger cheaper and most likely better in the form of Vaak)
Lindholm for 7th

63 - 37 - 88
Hall/Dadonov - 46 - 68 (Depends on Hall's contract demands, either would thrill me)
Frederick - 13 - 10/Seny (Gotta find out if these guys can play, if not 83, 10, and the Ritchies can step in for status quo)
Blidh - 52 - 14 (Lots of grit)
Khulman/Ritchies/whoever

Nurse - 73
Vaak9 - 25
33 - 79
Clifton - Zaboril

40 - 41

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The prospect pool is so empty they shouldn’t go out to trade a 1st for Palmieri when Hall/Dadonov/Hoffman/Granlund are available for free.

The more I think the more I like Granlund for Boston.
Such a Boston type player, with him I’d even offer more term with some trade protection to keep the money down.

4 years for 4-5M.
Gives him security and money, they have a young family

Do you think Granlund takes a decent-sized pay cut? I know he didn't have the greatest year, but he has been on 5.75. You'd think he be looking at staying at or near there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you think Granlund takes a decent-sized pay cut? I know he didn't have the greatest year, but he has been on 5.75. You'd think he be looking at staying at or near there.

He had a down year offensively and with Covid we have a flat cap.
I’d bet he’s going to get a lot of short term offers.

With having young family and a rough personal year I could see him valuing term right now
I could go up to what he was making if we are expecting Dads to hit 6M.

Granlund will score less goals, but he is more versatile and 3 years younger

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I don’t know a lot about Granlund does he play Center or Wing? HDB has him listed as a center. If we want a shake up. Trading Krejci for futures and signing Granlund could be interesting.

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
Hall-Coyle-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Granlund-Kase

Good young fast two way line up and still have space to add a Dman.

Then line up the big boys Ritchie-Kurlay-Frederic-Wagner on the 4th line

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He'd be a good add here I think.

For sure.
Playmaking/incredible hands(set up guy for DeBrusk?)
Pk option
Pp option
Could play C if we run into injuries

Just then add size elsewhere

I don’t know a lot about Granlund does he play Center or Wing? HDB has him listed as a center. If we want a shake up. Trading Krejci for futures and signing Granlund could be interesting.

Hall-Coyle-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Granlund-Kase

Good young fast two way line up and still have space to add a Dman.

Then line up the big boys Ritchie-Kurlay-Frederic-Wagner on the 4th line

He’s at his best on Rw

Reactions: Dr Hook

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bruins entire D corps combined for a grand total of 23 goals last season , nowhere near enough.

Even the 24th place Habs had 41 , that's almost double!!!!:help:

Tampa's D have provided 13 goals in the PO's the Bruins 2

So while we need a winger who can score it seems obvious to me that we need to up scoring contributions from our D as well.

We do, but to what extent depends on what the team's packing up front. If your forward group is stacked and has a high scoring rate then you can live with a back 6 that doesn't put a whole lot of pucks in the net. As it stands, McAvoy and Gryz are good at setting up chances but don't finish a whole lot (although Gryz's wrister is sneaky good when he gets close enough to use it), and Clifton has a knack for scoring but doesn't yet get a huge amount of ice time. That's about it that we know of. Can the Bruins add enough to that internally to make it a viable group on offense? Maybe. As Cassidy said after the series loss to Tampa, there are things they can do better in getting shots through to the net from the blueline even with the existing personnel.

Beyond that it then comes down to balance. Are the Bruins comfortable to rely on a defense that is capable in its own end but maybe only gives you around 30 goals for the season, while banking on the forwards executing at a high rate, or do they want to spread the load a bit more and look to add some offensive capability both forward and back? The former strategy is maybe more high risk but also higher reward if you get a top 6 or 9 that really clicks and can score frequently, while the latter probably gives you more depth and more ways to potentially score if the forwards are having an off night, but you perhaps lose a little of that potential for a more explosive offensive capacity by going down that path.

I don't know which is best, or which way the Bs will ultimately go. I think the main thing is they need to be bold and clear in what they're trying to achieve. I'd rather they either really load up the forwards properly and rely mostly on internal options and promotion to cover defense, with maybe just one decent addition, or if they want to go the other direction then make sure whichever defender/s you bring in they're proper A grade players who will contribute at both ends. Just don't go the middle road that Boston have too often where they just try to chip away and add depth to both groups but don't prioritize proper skills and quality enough. At this point, better an aggressive fail than meandering through another wasted year that teases success but ultimately falls some way short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Trades:

DeBrusk + Moore for Nurse. (Gives the Bruins a LHD partner for Mac. Has some game and intangables)
Gryzzy for pick(s). (Bruins have younger cheaper and most likely better in the form of Vaak)
Lindholm for 7th

63 - 37 - 88
Hall/Dadonov - 46 - 68 (Depends on Hall's contract demands, either would thrill me)
Frederick - 13 - 10/Seny (Gotta find out if these guys can play, if not 83, 10, and the Ritchies can step in for status quo)
Khulman/Ritchies/whoever

Nurse - 73
Vaak9 - 25
33 - 79
Clifton - Zaboril

40 - 41

Have you tried the cap on that? Honestly?

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Trades:

Lindholm for 7th

63 - 37 - 88
Khulman/Ritchies/whoever

Nurse - 73
Vaak9 - 25
33 - 79
Clifton - Zaboril

40 - 41
Easily the worse 3rd line in the NHL and significantly worse than this years 3rd line. Seny is like 25% of Anders Bjork at best

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Signings:

Hall-7 years, 7.125mill cap
Chara- 1 year, 1mill cap, 1.5 mill bonuses
Debrusk- 3 years. 3.25mill cap
Gryz- 3 years. 2.5mill cap
Zboril- 2 years, 800K cap
Senyshyn- 2 years, 800 cap

trades:

BOS: Palmieri
NJD: Kase, Bjork, Moore

Hall-Coyle-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Palmieri
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner
Frederic, Senyshyn

Lauzon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Zboril
Clifton

I have been going back and forth on a good player to pick up to play with McAvoy. My ideal partner would be a bigger guy who is more of a stay at home dman but still plays a strong two way game and has a bit of a mean streak. I feel like Lauzon has all those qualities and can take his game to another level playing with McAvoy. I think Gryz and Carlo are a great pair and Chara can be a great mentor to Zboril his rookie year like he has done for McAvoy and Carlo.

Bjork, Kase, Krug out, Hall, Palmieri, Zboril in. We keep the core together and add some big time talent for a serious cup run. We also keep good cap flexibility with Krejci, Palmieri, Rask, Halak, Ritchie, Kuraly and Chara all on expiring contracts.

Would love to see those pics you have on hall and debrusk

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
We do, but to what extent depends on what the team's packing up front. If your forward group is stacked and has a high scoring rate then you can live with a back 6 that doesn't put a whole lot of pucks in the net. As it stands, McAvoy and Gryz are good at setting up chances but don't finish a whole lot (although Gryz's wrister is sneaky good when he gets close enough to use it), and Clifton has a knack for scoring but doesn't yet get a huge amount of ice time. That's about it that we know of. Can the Bruins add enough to that internally to make it a viable group on offense? Maybe. As Cassidy said after the series loss to Tampa, there are things they can do better in getting shots through to the net from the blueline even with the existing personnel.

Beyond that it then comes down to balance. Are the Bruins comfortable to bank on a defense that is capable in its own end but maybe only gives you around 30 goals for the season, while banking on the forwards executing at a high rate, or do they want to spread the load a bit more and look to add some offensive capability both forward and back? The former strategy is maybe more high risk but also higher reward if you get a top 6 or 9 that really clicks and can score frequently, while the latter probably gives you more depth and more ways to potentially score if the forwards are having an off night, but you perhaps lose a little of that potential for a more explosive offensive capacity by going down that path.

I don't know which is best, or which way the Bs will ultimately go. I think the main thing is they need to be bold and clear in what they're trying to achieve. I'd rather they either really load up the forwards properly and rely mostly on internal options and promotion to cover defense, with maybe just one decent addition, or if they want to go the other direction then make sure whichever defender/s you bring in they're proper A grade players who will contribute at both ends. Just don't go the middle road that Boston have too often where they just try to chip away and add depth to both groups but don't prioritize proper skills and quality enough. At this point, better an aggressive fail than meandering through another wasted year that teases success but ultimately falls some way short.

I have to disagree with the concept of stacking the forward lines at the expense of the defense. I see it quite the opposite way. I prefer to stack a defense and take it from there. What I really am opposed to is going with a defense that is built the way the Bruins were built last season.

No other team in the league has 2 dmen who measure 5'9". Most don't even have one, the one's that do are not successful. How anyone thinks you can win with this setup is beyond me. If you look at the defense corps of the two teams in the cup final how many dmen under six feet do you see. Look at last year's Champs, how many? Look at the year before, how many ?Look at the Bruins 2011 Cup winning team , how many? It's the Bruins Achilles heel and they don't seem to know it.

These guys could have skill falling out of their pockets but when push comes to shove they get shoved. As we have seen all to well .

Look at Tampa, how are they able to ice a team of rather small forwards and be successful. The secret is the D. As someone who has played the game (mostly on D) the most frustrating players to play against the times I played in forward position was playing against oversized players (bigger than me) I'm a tad over 6' feet and I have always weighed over 200 and at times well over that so I'm not small nor am I slight but there are bigger guys than me. They are really frustrating to play against. What Tampa does is overwhelm their opponents to with size in the Dzone which allows their quick, smaller forwards, to always be in attack mode.

When they play a team like the Bruins it's a match made in heaven. Tampa's big rugged D pound the Bruins soft offense and the small forwards are not overmatched by a small soft D corps and you get the results we have witnessed every time these teams match up for the last few years.

Everyone has their idea of how to build a team, I build mine defense out. Big , mean, skilled defense then you can afford to have one offensive line like the Bruins do. But if you have one offensive line and a D that can be overwhelmed you have the Bruins, a team that will always compete but never take home the prize.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have to disagree with the concept of stacking the forward lines at the expense of the defense. I see it quite the opposite way. I prefer to stack a defense and take it from there. What I really am opposed to is going with a defense that is built the way the Bruins were built last season.

No other team in the league has 2 dmen who measure 5'9". Most don't even have one, the one's that do are not successful. How anyone thinks you can win with this setup is beyond me. If you look at the defense corps of the two teams in the cup final how many dmen under six feet do you see. Look at last year's Champs, how many? Look at the year before, how many ?Look at the Bruins 2011 Cup winning team , how many? It's the Bruins Achilles heel and they don't seem to know it.

These guys could have skill falling out of their pockets but when push comes to shove they get shoved. As we have seen all to well .

Look at Tampa, how are they able to ice a team of rather small forwards and be successful. The secret is the D. As someone who has played the game (mostly on D) the most frustrating players to play against the times I played in forward position was playing against oversized players (bigger than me) I'm a tad over 6' feet and I have always weighed over 200 and at times well over that so I'm not small nor am I slight but there are bigger guys than me. They are really frustrating to play against. What Tampa does is overwhelm their opponents to with size in the Dzone which allows their quick, smaller forwards, to always be in attack mode.

When they play a team like the Bruins it's a match made in heaven. Tampa's big rugged D pound the Bruins soft offense and the small forwards are not overmatched by a small soft D corps and you get the results we have witnessed every time these teams match up for the last few years.

Everyone has their idea of how to build a team, I build mine defense out. Big , mean, skilled defense then you can afford to have one offensive line like the Bruins do. But if you have one offensive line and a D that can be overwhelmed you have the Bruins, a team that will always compete but never take home the prize.

Sorry you've slightly misunderstood my post. I wasn't talking about how you should build the Bruins' D in terms of its size, toughness, or capabilities in its own end. I was talking largely to your previous point about how much offensive production we should be needing or expecting to get out of our defensive group. I'm not saying just forget about D and largely focus on our forwards, what I'm saying is how you compose your defense can to some extent be changed depending on how you build your forward group, especially in terms of how much or what kind of production and overall contribution you're looking for from those 6 skaters.

As it happens I at least partially agree with you on two points - all the best teams are certainly built from the defense out, and the Bruins D needs to get tougher, harder and more uncomfortable to play against. I do think you can still achieve that while also playing one or two talented smaller guys like Gryz and maybe Cliffy, you just have to get the mix right. But however you do it, its a separate component of your roster and playing strategies as to how and how much you expect your defense to contribute to playmaking and production, and that's what I was discussing.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Dallas is an example of a team that had some skill up front for several years, but they never had the D and snarl to do anything. Last couple years have been totally different for them, though. Their D is right up there with the best in the league now, and it has size and snarl. The added offense their D has is a nice bonus as well. Dallas management finally figured things out. The addition of guys like Pavelski and Radulov to the forward group, who have both skill and strength, have made a difference as well.

Reactions: JOKER 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad