Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Robertson coming into his draft year had really awkward skating. He was one of those guys that the skating looks terrible, but moved around the ice okay. He had major breakdowns in his stride that made him really inefficient and he'd tire out within 20 seconds of the shift. IMO people really get way too tied up into how pretty and sound a stride is... Robertson is a good example of that. He only slid because of his skating. He's worked to refine it and it still isn't pretty, but it is passable now. The goalscoring and talent were always there. I know I preached on the kid a few times that if you could correct his stride, you had a 30g winger.
What are your thoughts on Beaucage at the moment? Has his skating improved enough for him to have a realistic shot at the NHL?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Robertson coming into his draft year had really awkward skating. He was one of those guys that the skating looks terrible, but moved around the ice okay. He had major breakdowns in his stride that made him really inefficient and he'd tire out within 20 seconds of the shift. IMO people really get way too tied up into how pretty and sound a stride is... Robertson is a good example of that. He only slid because of his skating. He's worked to refine it and it still isn't pretty, but it is passable now. The goalscoring and talent were always there. I know I preached on the kid a few times that if you could correct his stride, you had a 30g winger.
Which is something the Avalanche scouting staff is much less interested in today (Beaucage not with standing). Here’s quote from last year’s THN Future Watch by Hepple:
We look for hockey sense and speed.
Followed by:
[Sakic] doesn’t worry about size and things like that.
Followed by Size Queens:
upload_2021-4-26_8-17-20.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What are your thoughts on Beaucage at the moment? Has his skating improved enough for him to have a realistic shot at the NHL?

I really don't think so. Beaucage doesn't flash the athletic ability when he's skating. He's a pure stationary player that can rip shots. Robertson was more awkward and inefficient rather than bad. The frist parts of his shifts, he always kept pace and even flashed some burst. It just wore down.

Which is something the Avalanche scouting staff is much less interested in today (Beaucage not with standing). Here’s quote from last year’s THN Future Watch by Hepple: Followed by:Followed by Size Queens:
View attachment 426352
Avs draft oddly when it comes to skating. Last year, it was nearly universal that they were good skaters. Rolston is awkward, but still a good skater. Then you have the randos that are either not good skaters (Saigeon) or downright awful (Beaucage).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Rolston will not play pro with that skating, it was atrocious. Yeah he was good for one burst in the NZ per shift and then it broke down so fast he couldn’t go the other way due to that extremely hunched posture. I’m glad I won’t have to listen to folks defend it for the next three years lol.

Yeah what Hepple says and what they really believe are two different things. Of course every team and scout would love size, skill, speed and hockey sense (and if you get all of it they are a top 10 pick). They have definitely not been shy taking guys with skating problems and I’d argue they don’t value hockey sense really all that much, maybe more for defensemen than forwards but still. There’s still a lot of try hard, character and org connections that tick boxes high on their list.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Avs draft oddly when it comes to skating. Last year, it was nearly universal that they were good skaters. Rolston is awkward, but still a good skater. Then you have the randos that are either not good skaters (Saigeon) or downright awful (Beaucage).
Miss Saigeon I still don’t get. It was like they invited Pracey back for a guest pick: overage OHL center.

Alphabet, you can see the dice roll they are taking, in that if he can get his skating upgraded to just crappy he’ll be able to be a goal scorer.

Rolston was strange (nepotism?), but they already bagged on that experiment, so it is kind of moot.

We are also talking about a couple of 5th round picks, which I take as a good sign. I remember a board wide shit fit about Kieran Milan being drafted in the 6th.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Rolston will not play pro with that skating, it was atrocious. Yeah he was good for one burst in the NZ per shift and then it broke down so fast he couldn’t go the other way due to that extremely hunched posture. I’m glad I won’t have to listen to folks defend it for the next three years lol.

Yeah what Hepple says and what they really believe are two different things. Of course every team and scout would love size, skill, speed and hockey sense (and if you get all of it they are a top 10 pick). They have definitely not been shy taking guys with skating problems and I’d argue they don’t value hockey sense really all that much, maybe more for defensemen than forwards but still. There’s still a lot of try hard, character and org connections that tick boxes high on their list.
Except they explicitly said they don’t care about size and their draft record of late bears this out.

Josh Anderson was the last pick they Size Queened it up on.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

You're comments on Rolston are exactly why players like Robertson fall in drafts. Getting hung up on fixable issues while ignoring the athletic ability and flashes. I won't say he's going to be a NHL player or anything, but his skating will be refined over the years and won't be the reason he misses the NHL.

Funny enough too, Rolston's ass out skating was similar to what Robertson did in the OHL. They brought Robertson's posture up by lessening his knee bend, increasing his ankle bend, and building up his calf strength... the result isn't a great NHL skater, but he can now skate at a NHL level for a shift. Now Rolston doesn't have anywhere near the skill or ability with the puck... so certainly not becoming Robertson 2.0.

Reactions: ndmd99

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t see a reason to not bring up Alex Newhook. They’ve already burned this year of his elc, so why not see what he can do.

Let’s assume Rantanen and Donskoi are back for the next game.

Landy - MacK - Rants
Nuke - Jost - Dong
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Sherwood - Bellemare - Kaut

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don’t see a reason to not bring up Alex Newhook. They’ve already burned this year of his elc, so why not see what he can do.

Landy - MacK - Rants
Nuke - Jost - Dong

Newhook hasn't played that much hockey this year, I see more potential negatives than positives with a call-up. He's playing well in the AHL, might as well let him finish the season on a high note, as opposed to potentially struggling in the NHL (like Caufield).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Landy - MacK - Rants
Nuke - Jost - Dong

Beyond the quarantine parts... There are still recall rules post-deadline and that will impact who they can call up and when. Right now the Avs have used one callup placing LOB on the regular roster instead of emergency. The rest of the callups are on emergency basis, so until there is an injury, there is no more calling up anybody on an emergency basis (those players have to be returned if there isn't an injury). It has to be one of the 3 spots. Calling up anybody right now on a non-emergency basis basically cements that player the on the roster for the rest of the season. Given the nature of the season, I imagine the Avs will avoid using those spots until they have to.

Reactions: PAZ

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
You also don’t want Newhook to get hurt if you think he’s not developed enough to throw him into the fire at the time where game intensity is highest. I’m not sure how he is physically but I felt like he was getting blown up by people at his own level at WJC and college, how’s it gonna look in the NHL

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Beyond the quarantine parts... There are still recall rules post-deadline and that will impact who they can call up and when. Right now the Avs have used one callup placing LOB on the regular roster instead of emergency. The rest of the callups are on emergency basis, so until there is an injury, there is no more calling up anybody on an emergency basis (those players have to be returned if there isn't an injury). It has to be one of the 3 spots. Calling up anybody right now on a non-emergency basis basically cements that player the on the roster for the rest of the season. Given the nature of the season, I imagine the Avs will avoid using those spots until they have to.

Gotcha.

Personally, I want Newhook on the roster for the playoffs as an extra forward anyways.

He can provide additional skill that other call ups can’t. I’m ok keeping him in the AHL for a few more games, but come playoff time I’d stack the roster as much as possible.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gotcha.

Personally, I want Newhook on the roster for the playoffs as an extra forward anyways.

He can provide additional skill that other call ups can’t. I’m ok keeping him staying in the AHL for a few more games, but come playoff time I’d stack the roster as much as possible.

I imagine that he will be up after the Eagles season ends. Could be as soon as May 15 if the AHL doesn't have playoffs (which I think is pretty unlikely to happen this year), but if there are playoffs that might extend.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

Landy - MacK - Rants
Nuke - Jost - Dong

The concern has to be for injury at this point. Call it the Byram clause.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think they should at least try Newhook on the wing on either the 2nd or 3rd line before the season ends, especially since Saad will be out until the postseason.
They should. Decent chance Newhook would help out more than icing AHLers like O'Brien and there will be a bunch of playoff injuries.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. Bednar FINALLY started putting Kaut and Timmins in the line up.

That's the thing--the Avs under Bednar have been quite exceptional at giving young players a legit shot to earn roster spots. Timmins is but one example. That's why the whole thing with Kaut is insanely frustrating to me. They're taking a completely different approach to him and I'm just at a loss as to why.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That's the thing--the Avs under Bednar have been quite exceptional at giving young players a legit shot to earn roster spots.
Not this year. Way too much of this Megna, Dries and Sherwood shit. I think Sakic told Bednar after the last break it was time to bite the bullet, because we'll need these guy by next year best case.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I actually love Bednar’s comments on Kaut.

It was maybe a bit savage, but they’re not in the business of handing out jobs while they’re in a contending season. Maybe this will motivate Kaut.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's the thing--the Avs under Bednar have been quite exceptional at giving young players a legit shot to earn roster spots. Timmins is but one example. That's why the whole thing with Kaut is insanely frustrating to me. They're taking a completely different approach to him and I'm just at a loss as to why.

Bednar doesn't restrict young players if they are playing well. He feeds them the minutes the are ready for and Kaut was bad on this recent call up. Just like when Timmins was bad for a stretch, his minutes decreased and was eventually sent down. On the flip side, Byram played pretty well and was getting 16+ a night. Bednar feeds minutes to those who take advantage of them. He's not afraid to play any young player minutes, if they deserve them. Kaut simply didn't deserve minutes on this call up.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What did Bednar say about Kaut? Link to interview?

He said Kaut was "just okay" in this latest callup, didn't slag him but also didn't really praise him either. We'll see how this plays out, I still think it was super-lame to watch him toil in a 4th line nothing role while J.T. Compher proceeded to suck donkey balls on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bednar’s opinion on Kaut is on par with mine. I agree with many of the prospect lovers that he wasn’t exactly given a huge opportunity. But he wasn’t not given an opportunity either. Sherwood was given no more opportunity than Kaut yet still took advantage of the minimal opportunity given, worked his ass off and looked twice as good as Kaut.

Kaut wasn’t gifted top 6 minutes by any means. But nobody should be. He was given a limited role like any AHL call up would and did nothing to show he deserved more. Now the Avs are healthy and he’s gone back where it appears he belongs. He deserved a call up with great play and now he deserves to be sent down with lackluster play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad