Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Huge getting Newhook back. They're such a talented team. Newhook's assist was NHL-level. The pick up on the pass that was in his skates was unbelievable at that speed.

edit: Boldy completely losing his man at :23...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm excited about Newbridge being on the team. I have a feeling his skating might be utilized more at the next level.

Boldy looks really impressive too. Minnesota did well picking him.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I was hoping Boldy would fall to Colorado at 16 in 2019, but Newhook looks like a great consolation prize. Boldly probably ends up a little better, but the fact that Newhook is a centre fits well with the Avs moving forward.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I don’t think he’ll be ready for that role so soon.

IMO there’s no doubt that he’ll join the Avs at the end of the season.

If not at 3C with some insulation, would you put him into a top6 wing spot, 3rd line wing, or taxi squad?

I haven’t caught any full BC games but the kid I’m seeing is ready for the NHL and his game is very much that of a center.

I’m torn, don’t hate the idea of dropping him into the 3C and giving him Nuke and someone-not-named-Donskoi on his wings, but I could also see him thriving as a top6 wing (assuming no moves are made to beef up the top6 at the deadline).

Reactions: Richard88

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There’s absolutely a ton of question what happens to Newhook. Just about everything is on the table. It’s hilarious all the hesitance on Byram and the assumption is just Newhook is going to the NHL no questions asked.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
There’s absolutely a ton of question what happens to Newhook. Just about everything is on the table. It’s hilarious all the hesitance on Byram and the assumption is just Newhook is going to the NHL no questions asked.

Might go to the Eagles for all eternity and never even get a shot with the Avs for all we know. After all it’s been more than a year since he was drafted and the Avs have yet to show any commitment to him. Right?

Watch the kid. He’s better than half our forward corps. He’ll be with the team at the end of the year, whether he plays at all in the playoffs is a question but barring an Av-level bad luck situation with his health he will be up with the big boys when his season is done.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The biggest consideration for me is his ELC. Do you really want to re-sign Newhook, Byram and MacKinnon all in the same offseason?

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I'm excited about Newbridge being on the team. I have a feeling his skating might be utilized more at the next level.

Boldy looks really impressive too. Minnesota did well picking him.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Byram was walking into a deeper D core than Newhook would forward wise.

In addition, it’s usually a little easier to find early success as a forward than it is a defender.

Just in general, defenders are the last line of defence so it’s harder to live with their mistakes than it is forwards.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

Time will tell. If the Avs acquire a 3C, the Newhook question is kind of answered in terms of what they have planned for Newhook. The Avs have decent depth at wing but an injury or two at the wrong time and who knows?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Banking that Newhook is ready for a playoff run would be foolish. I don’t think he’s physically mature enough, specially in such a grinding division.

Bring him as a spare part sure, but also find a real solution for 3C.

Reactions: Richard88

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Lol at someone telling TV to “watch the kid”.

I’m aware that following prospects is her pride and joy, and that she probably sees more of any of them that anyone else on here.

Too bad 30% of the time she only contributes snark and condescension. If she’d contributed an opinion worth responding to I might have been more pleasant in my response.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There’s a very real possibility Newhook goes to the AHL once signed. I just don’t understand the assumption he’s joining the team right away since all we ever hear are contenders can’t afford to play the kids and again the question of using a contract year is something they are willing to do. I don’t question the excitement, he’s obviously a good player. But there’s a wide range of outcomes here.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Time will tell. If the Avs acquire a 3C, the Newhook question is kind of answered in terms of what they have planned for Newhook. The Avs have decent depth at wing but an injury or two at the wrong time and who knows?
Banking that Newhook is ready for a playoff run would be foolish. I don’t think he’s physically mature enough, specially in such a grinding division.

Bring him as a spare part sure, but also find a real solution for 3C.
I agree Metallo. Even if they're thinking of adding Newhook for the playoffs I'd still go out and get a bottom 6 C who can eat up heavy minutes in DZ starts and on the PK to insulate Newhook with more OZ starts.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ------ Kadri -------- Saad
Nichuskin ------ Newhook ----- Donskoi
Jost/Bellemare--- "3C" --------- Compher/O'Connor

Having an extra bottom 6 C would also be a nice little luxury to provide some depth for the playoffs incase injuries happen.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I'd prefer that he not play in the AHL once his season is over. He's done enough. It's too risky. And I'm not sure what's to be gained. Just shut him down. Put him on a program and check on him periodically before next year when he properly joins the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad