Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think Kaut needs to finish his checks with a lot more vigor than what he has shown so far. He has the size and enough speed to do that but instead he does a slight bump or just a fly-by.
Yeah, I agree...if he makes it to become a regular, he's gonna have to play with more aggressiveness physically speaking and offensively speaking. Even though he has no where near the wheels I'd like to seem him play the game and become a homegrown version of mid-sixer Calvert with slower wheels but upgraded hands? Not that Matt isn't homegrown he was drafted by the Blue Jackets in 2008 when MacFarland was AGM of our sister organization in Columbus.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah, I agree...if he makes it to become a regular, he's gonna have to play with more aggressiveness physically speaking and offensively speaking. Even though he has no where near the wheels I'd like to seem him play the game and become a homegrown version of mid-sixer Calvert with slower wheels but upgraded hands? Not that Matt isn't homegrown he was drafted by the Blue Jackets in 2008 when MacFarland was AGM of our sister organization in Columbus.

Kaut needs to work on his conditioning. When he had success last year, he also looked absolutely winded every shift. This year it looked like he was trying to conserve his energy more. With his skillset, he's going to have to get his gas tank and motor up so that he can be a Nuke/Calvert type.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kaut needs to work on his conditioning. When he had success last year, he also looked absolutely winded every shift. This year it looked like he was trying to conserve his energy more. With his skillset, he's going to have to get his gas tank and motor up so that he can be a Nuke/Calvert type.
He’s not that type. He will never be an energy type player, his base of play begins with intelligence, which is not something the Avs value in their bottom 6 forwards.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He’s not that type. He will never be an energy type player, his base of play begins with intelligence, which is not something the Avs value in their bottom 6 forwards.

I agree the Avs prefer more energy types in the bottom 6, but I don't at all agree with them not valuing intelligence. Nuke, Calvert, PEB, Nieto, Jost, and Soda are all highly intelligent hockey players. Nieto, Calvert and Nuke happen to be high energy guys too.

I think that one of the downsides as Bednar as a coach and his system is that it requires a lot of effort and energy from his players. If there is ever an off night for a player, it is supremely noticeable. I don't think Bednar requiring a lot of effort from his players is a bad thing, but it certainly won't suit every player and there are just going to be nights where it doesn't work as the season is long and bumps, bruise, illness, and just generally being worn out happens.

Last edited:

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Since when are these two things mutually exclusive ? Seems to me like a high energy intelligent payer is better than an intelligent player that doesn't have high energy... Or maybe that the intelligent player should learn to work his ass off if he wants to play in the NHL for the Avs.

Reactions: Barklez

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I agree the Avs prefer more energy types in the bottom 6, but I don't at all agree with them not valuing intelligence. Nuke, Calvert, PEB, Nieto, Jost, and Soda are all highly intelligent hockey players. Nieto, Calvert and Nuke happen to be high energy guys too.

I think that one of the downsides as Bednar as a coach and his system is that it requires a lot of effort and energy from his players. If there is ever an off night for a player, it is supremely noticeable. I don't think Bednar requiring a lot of effort from his players is a bad thing, but it certainly won't suit every player and there are just going to be nights where it doesn't work as the season is long and bumps, bruise, illness, and just generally being worn out happens.

Is it a downside though? I don't think Bednar expects every player to be on for a full season, but if a call-up can't match the energy that Mack, Landy, Rants, etc. brings it's a pretty easy discussion. Plus it's a lot easier to bring that energy and effort when you're playing in the offensive zone more than half the game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is it a downside though? I don't think Bednar expects every player to be on for a full season, but if a call-up can't match the energy that Mack, Landy, Rants, etc. brings it's a pretty easy discussion. Plus it's a lot easier to bring that energy and effort when you're playing in the offensive zone more than half the game.
It can be… near impossible for effort and energy to always be high.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree, the energy required to play Bednar's system is perhaps its only achilles heel.

IMO it's the main reason for the increase injuries the last few years, due primarily to fatigue from all the skating at near max levels. Fatigue leads to a lack of awareness on the ice and a decrease in the motor skills required to help you protect yourself.

It's also why we see new players, especially role players, have an adjustment period which can sometimes take a year like it Calvert.

Another potential downside is how the team plays mediocre hockey to start seasons, or after they have lengthy pauses like we've seen with the COVID pauses. You have to be in tip top shape, and on your game to play Bednar's system. If not, you can't execute it very well.

In the back of my mind, I always wonder if this system will have a shelf life. It's just so exhausting, it might only be effective for a young team. We also saw how the Avs old man on man system would wear out players from all the skating, but I think Bednar has smartly placed a huge emphasis on conditioning to counter that problem.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
The season is a marathon not a 100 meter race, you have to be able to pace yourself and pick your spots. But Bednar demands his players to sprint at full speed for the entire marathon which simply isn't plausible. A good system should make it easier more efficient for the players to do things, but in the avs case it almost seems like Bednar is asking for the players to put in the extra effort to cover the shortcomings of his own inefficient system instead. I'm not a fan of the whole all we gotta do is just play with more effort talk, every team would be doing that if they could. Sure a team can look like world beaters when they are going all out while the other team is going at like only 80%, but if the other team is also going all out then what? I think that's one of the reasons why this team has had problems finishing teams off. When minnesota, vegas and stl showed some back bone and came back at us at full speed, we couldn't beat them despite the talent disparity (yes I know we have players injured but would you really take their roster over ours even taking away the injured players).

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can anyone actually point to a system that would work better than Bednar's for this teams makeup? I don't see how you make it more efficient without sacrificing the forwards supporting the defense in the defensive zone, or vice versa where the defense jumps up into the play to support the forwards. If either of those are neutered, the Avs are a lot easier to play against.

I'd rather not see a system where Makar, Girard, and Byram have to fight for more pucks and do more puck retrievals because we want a more efficient system.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Can anyone actually point to a system that would work better than Bednar's for this teams makeup? I don't see how you make it more efficient without sacrificing the forwards supporting the defense in the defensive zone, or vice versa where the defense jumps up into the play to support the forwards. If either of those are neutered, the Avs are a lot easier to play against.

I'd rather not see a system where Makar, Girard, and Byram have to fight for more pucks and do more puck retrievals because we want a more efficient system.

The only issue I have with Bednar’s system is the 5-man cycle in the offensive zone. I think it leaves the team extremely vulnerable to counter attack. Especially when a forward is high on the cycle.

It’s not that I don’t like his strategy, but I would like to see it used less.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The only issue I have with Bednar’s system is the 5-man cycle in the offensive zone. I think it leaves the team extremely vulnerable to counter attack. Especially when a forward is high on the cycle.

It’s not that I don’t like his strategy, but I would like to see it used less.

But here's the thing, how often do the Avs give up odd-man rushes? I know it's been a big problem lately, but before injuries and COVID Pause Part 23 f***ed things up again, how often was it happening? They don't seem particularly vulnerable to it, and it's precisely because they're adept at moving the puck fluidly, skating, and covering for one another. The only times it ends up being an issue is when someone tries a dumb pass high in the zone. You don't see that often.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The high man in the offensive zone is by defensive design. I always hear Moser going off about how part of the Avs game plan is to have Mackinnon play high in the Ozone and float pucks from a difficult angle because it’s a new creative way to score lol. They do that because if the play goes back the other way it’s near impossible for the Avs to be outbumbered defensively. The Avs will have a minimum of 3 players the opposition will have to get by.

Nathan Mackinnon will be a top 20 Selke finisher this year. Part of it is Mackinnon’s effort and attention to detail but most of it is Jared Bednar having him rarely play deep in the offensive zone. That high man is an instant head start on defense while also using the entire upper part of the offensive zone to create excessive space for a talented lineup that does damage with that space. Most teams possess the puck and cycle in small triangles. The Avalanche possess and cycle around the entire offensive zone which makes the defense run around more than ever. It’s brilliant. A full on cheat code on both offense and defense. When the puck moves from the blue line, to behind the net, to the blue line again it’s near impossible for defenders to not run around. Then if they ever do break up a play and head back the other way they’re completely swarmed and outnumbered.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'd argue Q's system and maybe Cassidy's would work better for the Avs, but we're not talking a huge difference. Bednar's systems from an xs and os perspective are really damn good, they just require a lot of players. Any sort of laziness or lack of energy is compounded greatly when it happens. Which is why the 2nd line has been such an eyesore of late and why Nuke-Jost-Dong has worked as well as it has. Compete and things tend to go well. If there is a lack, it can fall apart quick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The high man in the offensive zone is by defensive design. I always hear Moser going off about how part of the Avs game plan is to have Mackinnon play high in the Ozone and float pucks from a difficult angle because it’s a new creative way to score lol. They do that because if the play goes back the other way it’s near impossible for the Avs to be outbumbered defensively. The Avs will have a minimum of 3 players the opposition will have to get by.

Nathan Mackinnon will be a top 20 Selke finisher this year. Part of it is Mackinnon’s effort and attention to detail but most of it is Jared Bednar having him rarely play deep in the offensive zone. That high man is an instant head start on defense while also using the entire upper part of the offensive zone to create excessive space for a talented lineup that does damage with that space. Most teams possess the puck and cycle in small triangles. The Avalanche possess and cycle around the entire offensive zone which makes the defense run around more than ever. It’s brilliant. A full on cheat code on both offense and defense. When the puck moves from the blue line, to behind the net, to the blue line again it’s near impossible for defenders to not run around. Then if they ever do break up a play and head back the other way they’re completely swarmed and outnumbered.

Yup... and with the skating of the defensemen and most of the forwards, they can be aggressive on a high cycle and normally not get caught. It helps that MacK is an excellent top-down attacker too.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In the back of my mind, I always wonder if this system will have a shelf life. It's just so exhausting, it might only be effective for a young team. We also saw how the Avs old man on man system would wear out players from all the skating, but I think Bednar has smartly placed a huge emphasis on conditioning to counter that problem.

Every system has a shelf life, just like every coach does. That said, Bednar tends to be pretty flexible on how the system is played. MacKinnon and his line are definitely who its built for and emphasize puck possession and controlled entries, but it's also been successful with dump-and-chase guys like Nichushkin too. The best coaches don't necessarily have a one-size-fits-all approach to their schemes--as much as a guy like Ken Hitchcock could be a hardass, he also knew when to let up on a guy. He never forced Vlad Tarasenko to be a two-way player, for instance.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yup... and with the skating of the defensemen and most of the forwards, they can be aggressive on a high cycle and normally not get caught. It helps that MacK is an excellent top-down attacker too.
Yup, it’s not just Bednar’s system. It’s the fact that this system Bednar created works because of the type of talent he has around. Very few teams could do this.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
But here's the thing, how often do the Avs give up odd-man rushes? I know it's been a big problem lately, but before injuries and COVID Pause Part 23 f***ed things up again, how often was it happening? They don't seem particularly vulnerable to it, and it's precisely because they're adept at moving the puck fluidly, skating, and covering for one another. The only times it ends up being an issue is when someone tries a dumb pass high in the zone. You don't see that often.

True. It’s definitely more of an issue over the last month and I wasn’t as worried about it before.

There is a reason teams are using the high-flip in the D zone against the Avs though. They know Colorado is out of position, so they flick the puck up high and look to win the race, or get an odd man break with a quick pass.

I agree though, it’s not as much of an issue when the team is healthy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Every system has a shelf life, just like every coach does. That said, Bednar tends to be pretty flexible on how the system is played. MacKinnon and his line are definitely who its built for and emphasize puck possession and controlled entries, but it's also been successful with dump-and-chase guys like Nichushkin too. The best coaches don't necessarily have a one-size-fits-all approach to their schemes--as much as a guy like Ken Hitchcock could be a hardass, he also knew when to let up on a guy. He never forced Vlad Tarasenko to be a two-way player, for instance.

Yeah I agree to an extent, but I don't know how flexible Bednar is with his system. I think he's pretty rigid. If you don't play it the way he wants, you're not gonna play. And early on, we saw a lot of guys cut loose from the team because they either didn't, or weren't able to play his system.

I don't necesarily think the system is built for the top line. I think the system they use now is mostly still the fundamentals of Bednar's philosophies at lower levels. He's just made some tweaks along the way.

The high zone cycle is one of those tweaks, and I'd agree that was built around MacKinnon. Specifically MacKinnon and Makar and how they work together. Then other guys started trying it, and because they have guys like Girard, Toews, Burakovsky, and Saad who are good possession guys, they were able to implement it well with some of the other lines.

It's mainly for Nate and Cale though, and it's designed to force the opposition to pick their poison. Do they want to aggressively check MacKinnon? Ok he'll just move around or through you and skate down low to wire a shot off the post from the slot. Or pass to Mikko or Gabe after they get open when everyone freaks out about MacKinnon in a prime scoring area with the puck.

If the opposition decides to stay passive to block passing lanes and prevent Nate from attack them down low, then either Nate or Cale will just circle around up top looking for a shooting lane with lots of bodies taking away the goalies eyes, pick their spot and fire a wrister from the blue line.

It's very hard to defend against because the speed and athleticism which Nate and Cale possess allows them to execute either play very well, and both can generate very dangerous scoring chances.

Plus they've got back door options if they need them and Cale circling the zone creating all kinds of havok to shake things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I agree to an extent, but I don't know how flexible Bednar is with his system. I think he's pretty rigid. If you don't play it the way he wants, you're not gonna play. And early on, we saw a lot of guys cut loose from the team because they either didn't, or weren't able to play his system.

I don't necesarily think the system is built for the top line. I think the system they use now is mostly still the fundamentals of Bednar's philosophies at lower levels. He's just made some tweaks along the way.

The high zone cycle is one of those tweaks, and I'd agree that was built around MacKinnon. Specifically MacKinnon and Makar and how they work together. Then other guys started trying it, and because they have guys like Girard, Toews, Burakovsky, and Saad who are good possession guys, they were able to implement it well with some of the other lines.

It's mainly for Nate and Cale though, and it's designed to force the opposition to pick their poison. Do they want to aggressively check MacKinnon? Ok he'll just move around or through you and skate down low to wire a shot off the post from the slot. Or pass to Mikko or Gabe after they get open when everyone freaks out about MacKinnon in a prime scoring area with the puck.

If the opposition decides to stay passive to block passing lanes and prevent Nate from attack them down low, then either Nate or Cale will just circle around up top looking for a shooting lane with lots of bodies taking away the goalies eyes, pick their spot and fire a wrister from the blue line.

It's very hard to defend against because the speed and athleticism which Nate and Cale possess allows them to execute either play very well, and both can generate very dangerous scoring chances.

Plus they've got back door options if they need them and Cale circling the zone creating all kinds of havok to shake things up.

Not my intention to start a fight or anything but I’m curious as to who the players are who were cut loose because they couldn’t or wouldn’t really adhere to the system. I’d argue a guy like Kerfoot is actually a better fit than Kadri, but Kadri is the more talented player overall. I can’t really think of someone cut loose because they didn’t fit per se, but it’s been four or so years so I’m sure I’m forgetting someone.

Speaking of bad fits, the new-ish additions are not fitting in at all. There’s rust and what not but even taking that into consideration, both Nemeth and Soderberg look kinda lost. Methinks the system has evolved since both left and they’re not nearly as familiar with it as Colorado had hoped.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not my intention to start a fight or anything but I’m curious as to who the players are who were cut loose because they couldn’t or wouldn’t really adhere to the system. I’d argue a guy like Kerfoot is actually a better fit than Kadri, but Kadri is the more talented player overall. I can’t really think of someone cut loose because they didn’t fit per se, but it’s been four or so years so I’m sure I’m forgetting someone.

Speaking of bad fits, the new-ish additions are not fitting in at all. There’s rust and what not but even taking that into consideration, both Nemeth and Soderberg look kinda lost. Methinks the system has evolved since both left and they’re not nearly as familiar with it as Colorado had hoped.

Just the general turnover from Bednar's first couple seasons. Iginla and McLeod never really bought into his system and they were both moved the first year. Same with Martinsen who was moved for the quicker Andrighetto.

Rene Bourque is another guy. He had a decent season for a depth guy with 12 goals in 68 games, but he didn't really play Bednar's skating/pressure system effectively. So he wasn't brought back.

Grigorenko is another example, though slightly different. He could play Bednar's system, he just didn't do it consistently enough, so Bednar couldn't trust him to do the job. Yakupov is another guy like that.

The best example is Zadorov though. His contract situation was probably the primary reason he was moved, but I think we can all agree he also wasn't Bednar's favorite player. Bednar didn't like that he was a penalty concern, but he also didn't like how he'd leave his positioning for hits. Zadorov is one of those "you take the bad with the good" kind of players, where his style of play can cost you at times, but benefit you at other times. Bednar doesn't like rollercoasters. He likes dependability in players so he knows they can play the way he wants consistently.

I agree on Kerfoot though. I think he probably is a better fit for Bednar than Kadri (though not as good) and Bednar probably wouldn't have minded keeping him because of it. It just didn't make a ton of sense roster wise. Compher I think will fall into this category soon as well.

BTW, don't worry about ever disagreeing with me or anything like that leading to a heated argument. I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me as long as they're not an ass about it, and I've had enough conversations with you to know that you don't operate that way.

Reactions: Pokecheque

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Just the general turnover from Bednar's first couple seasons. Iginla and McLeod never really bought into his system and they were both moved the first year. Same with Martinsen who was moved for the quicker Andrighetto.

Rene Bourque is another guy. He had a decent season for a depth guy with 12 goals in 68 games, but he didn't really play Bednar's skating/pressure system effectively. So he wasn't brought back.

Grigorenko is another example, though slightly different. He could play Bednar's system, he just didn't do it consistently enough, so Bednar couldn't trust him to do the job. Yakupov is another guy like that.

The best example is Zadorov though. His contract situation was probably the primary reason he was moved, but I think we can all agree he also wasn't Bednar's favorite player. Bednar didn't like that he was a penalty concern, but he also didn't like how he'd leave his positioning for hits. Zadorov is one of those "you take the bad with the good" kind of players, where his style of play can cost you at times, but benefit you at other times. Bednar doesn't like rollercoasters. He likes dependability in players so he knows they can play the way he wants consistently.

I agree on Kerfoot though. I think he probably is a better fit for Bednar than Kadri (though not as good) and Bednar probably wouldn't have minded keeping him because of it. It just didn't make a ton of sense roster wise. Compher I think will fall into this category soon as well.

BTW, don't worry about ever disagreeing with me or anything like that leading to a heated argument. I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me as long as they're not an ass about it, and I've had enough conversations with you to know that you don't operate that way.

All those names weren't moved out because they didn't fit Bednar's system. They all just plain out sucked, there's a reason why almost every player you listed couldn't crack the NHL again after leaving the Avs. There would be a stronger argument if these players ended up hitting their potential after getting traded from the Avs. But Big Z still shows the same inconsistencies in Chicago as he has here, same with Kerfoot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All those names weren't moved out because they didn't fit Bednar's system. They all just plain out sucked, there's a reason why almost every player you listed couldn't crack the NHL again after leaving the Avs. There would be a stronger argument if these players ended up hitting their potential after getting traded from the Avs. But Big Z still shows the same inconsistencies in Chicago as he has here, same with Kerfoot.

You're judging role players by the life expectancy of established top 9 NHLers though. They don't have lengthy careers.

McLeod played two years in the NHL after he left the Avs. Martinsen bounced between the NHL and AHL for two more years after leaving the Avs, just like he did when he was in Colorado. Iginla is a hall of famer and scored at a 26 goal 39 point pace with LA after being traded. And say what you want about Rene Bourque, but he had a relatively good year that season compared to the guys the Avs tried in that 4th line role before. We all thought there was a chance they'd bring him back, but they didn't.

I don't think your point about Z has to do with what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about getting better after leaving. I'm talking about Bednar's flexibility with his system. I'm talking about players who have the wheels and the willingness to skate their ass off, and play a somewhat mechanical system, sometimes at the expense of their preferred style of play.

Zadorov is the best example of Bednar not being flexible. I like Z, but he never fully bought into Bednar's system. He wanted to be a seek and destroy type of defenseman, and that doesn't work with the positioning that Bednar emphasizes from his D core. As a result of that and his penalties, Bednar gave him a very short leash, and healthy scratched him on multiple occasions.

Bednar wanted Z to play like Graves or Nemeth, but Z didn't want to play that way. So Bednar scratched Z multiple times and the Avs ended up trading him, while they gave Graves a $3.16M x 3 year contract, and brought Nemeth back, even though he's a worse skater than Z. That should tell you everything on how Bednar feels about players who either play or don't play the way he wants.

Just saying these guys suck also ignores how quickly the team moved on from the players I mentioned after Bednar got here. This is what proves my point. Outside of Zadorov, none of the guys I mentioned lasted more than one season with Bednar, and three of them didn't even last one season. Even though all of them except Bourque spent multiple seasons with the Avs prior.

If you don't agree with the examples I mentioned, and you think Bednar is flexible with his system, here's a better question. Who are the players that have shown they can't/don't play Bednar's system well, that he and the team have kept around and given a long leash?

Reactions: Barklez

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You're judging role players by the life expectancy of established top 9 NHLers though. They don't have lengthy careers.

McLeod played two years in the NHL after he left the Avs. Martinsen bounced between the NHL and AHL for two more years after leaving the Avs, just like he did when he was in Colorado. Iginla is a hall of famer and scored at a 26 goal 39 point pace with LA after being traded. And say what you want about Rene Bourque, but he had a relatively good year that season compared to the guys the Avs tried in that 4th line role before. We all thought there was a chance they'd bring him back, but they didn't.

I don't think your point about Z has to do with what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about getting better after leaving. I'm talking about Bednar's flexibility with his system. I'm talking about players who have the wheels and the willingness to skate their ass off, and play a somewhat mechanical system, sometimes at the expense of their preferred style of play.

Zadorov is the best example of Bednar not being flexible. I like Z, but he never fully bought into Bednar's system. He wanted to be a seek and destroy type of defenseman, and that doesn't work with the positioning that Bednar emphasizes from his D core. As a result of that and his penalties, Bednar gave him a very short leash, and healthy scratched him on multiple occasions.

Bednar wanted Z to play like Graves or Nemeth, but Z didn't want to play that way. So Bednar scratched Z multiple times and the Avs ended up trading him, while they gave Graves a $3.16M x 3 year contract, and brought Nemeth back, even though he's a worse skater than Z. That should tell you everything on how Bednar feels about players who either play or don't play the way he wants.

Just saying these guys suck also ignores how quickly the team moved on from the players I mentioned after Bednar got here. This is what proves my point. Outside of Zadorov, none of the guys I mentioned lasted more than one season with Bednar, and three of them didn't even last one season. Even though all of them except Bourque spent multiple seasons with the Avs prior.

If you don't agree with the examples I mentioned, and you think Bednar is flexible with his system, here's a better question. Who are the players that have shown they can't/don't play Bednar's system well, that he and the team have kept around and given a long leash?

Totally and completely disagree on Z. Bednar went out of his way to be flexible and deployed him in the only way he can be effective—by pinning him on one guy the whole night. But even then he just wasn’t consistent enough. And Zadorov is still having issues in Chicago so while I too at one time thought Bednar was way too rigid with the big guy, there was a reason for it. He’s just...not that good of a hockey player despite having all the physical tools.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

We aren't going to agree on the role players, but that is fine.

However, in terms of Bednar's system and him being flexible, I think he's made plenty of exceptions. While Barrie strengths fit into Bednar's system, he was given a longer leash and allowed to be creative with his defensive zone outlets. He's allowed Mackinnon and Landy to share the center responsibilities. In general, his system is pretty flexible in regards to trusting the players to make the right decision, whether that means the defenseman pinching, carrying the puck into the zone or chipping it in, etc. It's also why so many players have hit their potentials since joining the Avs (Bura, Nuke, Graves, MacDonald, Donskoi, to name a few). The root of Bednar's system is simply to allow players to play hockey and trust their instincts, with the caveat that they need to skate and put in effort to provide support in all three zones.

Also, a player that doesn't fit into a coach's system is not going to last long on the team, regardless of the coach. It creates confusion between the rest of the players on the ice because they don't know what that player is doing. They'll most likely perform worse. Look no further than Barrie and Babcock or Laine and Torterella. If a bunch of depth guys and Zadorov are your prime examples of players that didn't fit into Bednar's system, I think his system is pretty damn flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad