2020/2021 line up

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think everyone is down playing the 18 year olds ability to exercise their preference. Aside from Byfield sliding to 5OA or something I think he plays in the NHL next season because he “wants to” and the top 1-2+ guys have enough precedent and power to force a teams hand.

Ottawa can’t afford a contract battle with their prize pick - the only way he goes down is if he decides it’s the best for him after his 10 games.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Took spezza a couple seasons to crack the big club and he had a solid career.

I dont care if someone is drafted second overall or not. No harm in making then earn their spot

That’s your opinion and a common belief. What would you do if your 18 year old 1-2OA threatened to sit out (play in Europe, demand a trade) if you didn’t start his UFA clock?

I get you can play hardball ... I don’t think this org is looking for that type of noise (see Colin White contract, Chabot extension). The Sens hurdled money as fast as they could at those guys.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Besides the point I guess but Spezza was trying to crack a very good roster. Byfield is most likely going to a dumpster fire.

SweatRed thinks of everything. Interesting that some fans have hoped for QB to go to Europe. I can't really picture it happening but it probably would be the best thing for his development. I just don't think junior is the answer for him. I also heard the NHL-CHL were renegotiating their transfer agreement this summer, so who knows, maybe they grant certain exceptions?

Reactions: NB613

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That’s your opinion and a common belief. What would you do if your 18 year old 1-2OA threatened to sit out (play in Europe, demand a trade) if you didn’t start his UFA clock?

I get you can play hardball ... I don’t think this org is looking for that type of noise (see Colin White contract, Chabot extension). The Sens hurdled money as fast as they could at those guys.

Hopefully you figure out if that's in his character during interviews before you draft him. And you pick the next guy on your list if that's the impression you get.

Character matters

Reactions: thinkwild

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Besides the point I guess but Spezza was trying to crack a very good roster. Byfield is most likely going to a dumpster fire.

SweatRed thinks of everything. Interesting that some fans have hoped for QB to go to Europe. I can't really picture it happening but it probably would be the best thing for his development. I just don't think junior is the answer for him. I also heard the NHL-CHL were renegotiating their transfer agreement this summer, so who knows, maybe they grant certain exceptions?

Where will he play here next year though? Is he going to be further along in his development than both Brown or Norris because as it stands there is only room for one of them next season. Also I dont see the point in playing a player on a dumpster fire team when its not necessary.

Tkachuk Tierney C. Brown
Duclair Anisimov Ryan
Paul White Batherson
Balcers Norris L.Brown Chlapik Formenton

That is 14 forwards already and they havent even signed anyone. I just dont see how it makes sense to have him in Ottawa unless he simply comes in and absolutely dominates. Fact of the matter is the sens have alot of players knocking on the door that are 21 years old +.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully you figure out if that's in his character during interviews before you draft him. And you pick the next guy on your list if that's the impression you get.

Character matters

Nearly all the recent 1-2 OA’s have played in the NHL in their first season after the draft and most aren’t ready. The decision to pass on one to take a lesser skilled kid is insanely poor.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Nearly all the recent 1-2 OA’s have played in the NHL in their first season after the draft and most aren’t ready. The decision to pass on one to take a lesser skilled kid is insanely poor.
Has Byfield clearly established himself as the consensus 20A?

At the beginning of the year there was some debate betweeh he and Lafreniere with Lafreniere clearly differentiating himself

I don't put the time in to prospect viewing that many here do so i avoid opinions on players but i thought that a 2nd tier had emerged as opposed to a clear cut 2OA. Am I wrong in that thinking?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Took spezza a couple seasons to crack the big club and he had a solid career.

I dont care if someone is drafted second overall or not. No harm in making then earn their spot

Which is fine, but completely different rosters, they couldn't fit 2 rookies in the same lineup. Our roster is like 80% rookies now. lol

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Where will he play here next year though? Is he going to be further along in his development than both Brown or Norris because as it stands there is only room for one of them next season. Also I dont see the point in playing a player on a dumpster fire team when its not necessary.

Tkachuk Tierney C. Brown
Duclair Anisimov Ryan
Paul White Batherson

That is 14 forwards already and they havent even signed anyone. I just dont see how it makes sense to have him in Ottawa unless he simply comes in and absolutely dominates. Fact of the matter is the sens have alot of players knocking on the door that are 21 years old +.
And soon enough say goodbye to tierney Balcers Ryan and anisimov

Replace with pinto abramov and top picks from this draft.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And soon enough say goodbye to tierney Balcers Ryan and anisimov

Replace with pinto abramov and top picks from this draft.
Id be shocked if Abramov is ever as good as Balcers. Id be shocked if Abramov ever plays with the sens in general tbh. He is already the 6th or 7th ranked forward prospect in the organization and they have 7 picks in the first two rounds of this draft. He is a trade chip at this point. Anisimov has 1 more year Ryan has 2 they arent going to be leaving before that. The sens need some veterans too wouldnt be suprised to see Tierney extended 2 to 3 years. Pinto has to leap frog Formenton, Norris, Brown, Batherson, Chlapik, Balcers and whoever the sens pick in the top 10 to get a sniff. These players are a ways away. I honestly dont know what the sens are going to do but they need to figure out a quanitify for quality deal in the next 2 years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

At the beginning of the year there was some debate betweeh he and Lafreniere with Lafreniere clearly differentiating himself

I don't put the time in to prospect viewing that many here do so i avoid opinions on players but i thought that a 2nd tier had emerged as opposed to a clear cut 2OA. Am I wrong in that thinking?
I think with the way the sens are being built his play style and physical attributes he is concensus number 2 for the sens maybe not for other teams. But overall id be suprised if he isnt number 2 on Bobs rankings come June. He has the highest upside in the draft if everything works out for him. I personally believe his floor is pretty high too. Ive just heard that he isnt very mature so his development curve is likely pretty big. A team may think Stutzle has a higher floor and more NHL ready so they may take him. A team like New Jersey who desperately needs top end D may take Drysdale over him.

I think Detroit would take Byfield number 2 so if the sens pick after them there is very little chance he will be around. Ultimately i really want the sens to get a top 3 pick.

Reactions: innocent bystander

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
@bert ... you know i think the best thing that could happen is the league coming to an agreement where a certain number of players are allowed to play their D+1 season in the AHL. Whatever. First rounders maybe. Top ten guys. It just seems to me that some guys are ready to move on from junior but are not ready for the nhl

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
@bert ... you know i think the best thing that could happen is the league coming to an agreement where a certain number of players are allowed to play their D+1 season in the AHL. Whatever. First rounders maybe. Top ten guys. It just seems to me that some guys are ready to move on from junior but are not ready for the nhl

How come? There are so many examples of players games exploding in their 18 or 19 year old year in the CHL. Zary, Quinn, Sokolov, Robertson, Mcmichael, Lafreniere, Rossi etc. The people arguing that it will make a players game grow stagnant by playing an extra year in jr while they grow into their bodies are simply wrong. At this point they are still teenagers the 70+ game pro season is hard on someone playing against men before they are strong enough. Hell playing 70 plus hockey games in a year for anyone is bad idea its way too many games, the only reason there is this many games is for revenue the quality of hockey is not where it should be, look at all the injuries lately in the NHL. Few and far between are players that are 18 years old that are ready for the NHL. Realistically its probably 1 max 2 players per year. Byfield with an August birthday still growing into his body is certainly not one of those players. For a player to be too good for Jr and not benefit from it and the pressures of the WJC have to be generational. Even Lafreniere has shown clear signs of improvement since last year. Its the Crosby's, Mcdavids, Lemieuxs and Gretzkys that dont need it those players are very rare. Even Lemieux played his 18 yer old season in the CHL, didnt hurt his development.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

While I'm sure the AHL and NHL would love that, it would really hurt the CHL imo. Maybe they could arrange a transfer fee to compensate them like they do with IIHF players.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How come? There are so many examples of players games exploding in their 18 or 19 year old year in the CHL. Zary, Quinn, Sokolov, Robertson, Mcmichael, Lafreniere, Rossi etc. The people arguing that it will make a players game grow stagnant by playing an extra year in jr while they grow into their bodies are simply wrong. At this point they are still teenagers the 70+ game pro season is hard on someone playing against men before they are strong enough. Hell playing 70 plus hockey games in a year for anyone is bad idea its way too many games, the only reason there is this many games is for revenue the quality of hockey is not where it should be, look at all the injuries lately in the NHL. Few and far between are players that are 18 years old that are ready for the NHL. Realistically its probably 1 max 2 players per year. Byfield with an August birthday still growing into his body is certainly not one of those players. For a player to be too good for Jr and not benefit from it and the pressures of the WJC have to be generational. Even Lafreniere has shown clear signs of improvement since last year. Its the Crosby's, Mcdavids, Lemieuxs and Gretzkys that dont need it those players are very rare. Even Lemieux played his 18 yer old season in the CHL, didnt hurt his development.

It doesn't matter what the rules are, there are always guys that slip between the cracks.

A lot of Euro kids are playing in men's leagues as teenagers. And I am sure that with some players NHL teams would like the option of placing them in the AHL in their D+1

I agree with Micklebot that such an agreement would be hard on CHL teams

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It doesn't matter what the rules are, there are always guys that slip between the cracks.

A lot of Euro kids are playing in men's leagues as teenagers. And I am sure that with some players NHL teams would like the option of placing them in the AHL in their D+1

I agree with Micklebot that such an agreement would be hard on CHL teams

Yes they do play in mens leagues in europe a season that is roughly 50 games different from 70 plus for a teenager. I think Byfield would benefit most from going to europe, would help with his vision and hockey IQ but thats clearly not an option.

But yes good point about it being hard on CHL teams.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Yes - However, I did just see a draft preview with him falling to 5th. I doubt it happens but 4-5 is possible.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Tkachuk Tierney C. Brown
Duclair Anisimov Ryan
Paul White Batherson

Well I wasn't really thinking specifically if the Sens. The point of playing him on a dumpster fire team when not necessary is that he'll develop and approach his prime sooner.

If he's behind Norris and Brown, won't that still be the case a year later?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well I wasn't really thinking specifically if the Sens. The point of playing him on a dumpster fire team when not necessary is that he'll develop and approach his prime sooner.

If he's behind Norris and Brown, won't that still be the case a year later?

I think in a year he will knock down the door and be a force, I just dont think he will be ready for that next year based on what ive seen. But like I said if he is then awesome. But as of next season I would be suprised if he is a better player than Norris or Brown.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Nope, not wrong. ISS is one of the most respectable media rankings and they have him fourth in their latest ranking. I'd say he's still the most likely to go second, but it's pretty up in the air.

It reminds me of the 2013 draft, when MacKinnon was the clear top pick, and Seth Jones was considered the most likely second pick, but fell to fourth and the European phenom Barkov went second. I would guess that Stützle is the most likely to pass him. Raymond and Drysdale are the only others I could realistically see, but it's not impossible that some team really loves Rossi, Holtz or Lundell. The absolute furthest I could see him falling is five, but most likely he doesn't fall past three.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Personally, I would like to see Byfield go back to junior for another yr unless the NHL creates an exception rule & he can play in the AHL at 18 yrs old. However, if his camp demands to play in the NHL in his first yr & they think he can handle it than I think it will be rather easy to fit him into the lineup.

IMO Anisimov, Tierny, Reilly & maybe Nilsson could be traded next yr & Gaborik will be off the books. I assume PD will also try & trade Zaitsev, Ryan & maybe Duclair by the deadline which would make a little more room for some prospects. The lineup to start the yr certainly won't be the lineup that finishes the yr after a number of players are moved out at the deadline & a few new ones move up. Formenton & Norris should be the first injury callups next season.

Paul - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Anisimov - Tierny - Duclair
Byfield - Chlapik - Hawryluk

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Personally, I would like to see Byfield go back to junior for another yr unless the NHL creates an exception rule & he can play in the AHL at 18 yrs old. However, if his camp demands to play in the NHL in his first yr & they think he can handle it than I think it will be rather easy to fit him into the lineup.

IMO Anisimov, Tierny, Reilly & maybe Nilsson could be traded next yr & Gaborik will be off the books. I assume PD will also try & trade Zaitsev, Ryan & maybe Duclair by the deadline which would make a little more room for some prospects. The lineup to start the yr certainly won't be the lineup that finishes the yr after a number of players are moved out at the deadline & a few new ones move up. Formenton & Norris should be the first injury callups next season.

Tkachuk - White - Ryan

If we draft Byfield and play him 10 minutes a night on LW on our fourth line, while Nick Paul plays first line minutes, I might have to find a new team to cheer for.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Tkachuk - White - Ryan

No Brown or Norris ?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I see all of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, and Raymond starting in the nhl
If Raymond is in the NHL, Holtz should be too. Depends on the teams I guess. TBH I'm starting to sway towards Holtz over Raymond, especially for our team. Raymond will probably go higher but it seems like a better fit. There's a decent chance we get both.

some people selling LBrown short
Agreed. He made so many positive impacts while in the NHL. People ignore this and point out that he only had 8 points in 23 games, which really isn't THAT bad...

He should be back from injury very soon, and hopefully will continue lighting up the AHL.

He just turned 22 today..... Still a cear top 6 C prospect in my eyes. Skating will come, his real challenge is staying healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad