2020/2021 line up

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think this route is allowed.

From what I have read, most scouts only seems to think Laff and Rossi have the most pro ready skill sets. Most think everyone else needs a bit more seasoning, including Byfield.
You are absolutely correct. Typo on my part meant that he would likely play in the NHL as there is no point in going back to the OHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think we're going to see some moves in the summer that will surprise. If draft positions stay the same, I think our first rounder and the SJ first rounder have a great shot to make the team.

Then I also think we're going to see the acquisition of 2-3 players from outside the organization to play in the NHL.

I think we'll be really up in the air in terms of making lineups with any accuracy until after the 2nd week of free agency.

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Formenton, Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom have nothing left to learn in the AHL. They are top 5 in AHL points (bran 2nd for defenders PPG). I also forgot Balcers and even Logan Brown.

Therefore you gotta bring them up, but also you gotta strengthen other positions so you don't throw out the rookies to the wolves and create a losing culture or depressing culture among the young ones.

1st line: XXXXX(could be Duclair)-XXXXX-Ryan
2nd line: Tkachuk-Tierney-Batherson
3rd line: Paul-Norris-Brown
4th line: Formenton-White-Hamryluk

Chabot-Jaros
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Boro

IMO we are going to get 2 new top line(positionally speaking maybe not actual top line calibre but good enough top 6ers in that role) players and one top 4 defender. a couple through FA, One through draft(mostly Laf or Lundell but then it would be more like our second line)/trade.

If im honest, I wouldn't be surprised the least to see Norris or Formenton and/or Tierney/Paul/L.Brown/Wolanin/Balcers and or picks packaged for a much more proven player or 2.

Even with that lineup above, we still have to account for Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik and Logan Brown.

We could even move Ryan.

There are so many scenarios that it's hard to fathom. Dorion can really, really propel this team skywards by 1-2 real savvy moves this off-season, and imo he will definitely make a couple moves because next year we cant afford to tank, it's a development year and the boys will need to be properly insulated.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Tkachuk (925k) - Norris (925k)- Ryan (7.5)
Duclair (3.5)- White (4.75)- Batherson (736k)
Formenton (747k)- Tierney(3.5)-C. Brown(3.75)
Paul(1.5)- Anisimov(4.55)- Hamryluk(1)

Chabot(8)- Hainsey(3)
Wolanin(900k)- Zaitzev(4.5)
Brann(863k)- Jaros(1.5)
Reilly(1.5)- Boro (1.6)

Nilsson(2.6)
Hogberg(700k)

I threw in what guys will or could be making next year. With that line-up, I think they'd be awfully close to the floor, giving Melnyk his final year of low balling before his "promise" kicks in. Callahan and Mac are off the books, leaving only Gaborik for another year. The Dion buyout bumps up slightly for next year.

There has to be some weaponizing of the draft picks this June. Using a 2nd(s) to get an early 20's player with promise or even a cap dump+young player of value from another team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ding ding ding. Winner.

Formenton, Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom have nothing left to learn in the AHL. They are top 5 in AHL points (bran 2nd for defenders PPG). I also forgot Balcers and even Logan Brown.

Therefore you gotta bring them up, but also you gotta strengthen other positions so you don't throw out the rookies to the wolves and create a losing culture or depressing culture among the young ones.

1st line: XXXXX(could be Duclair)-XXXXX-Ryan
2nd line: Tkachuk-Tierney-Batherson
3rd line: Paul-Norris-Brown
4th line: Formenton-White-Hamryluk

Chabot-Jaros
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Boro

IMO we are going to get 2 new top line(positionally speaking maybe not actual top line calibre but good enough top 6ers in that role) players and one top 4 defender. a couple through FA, One through draft(mostly Laf or Lundell but then it would be more like our second line)/trade.

If im honest, I wouldn't be surprised the least to see Norris or Formenton and/or Tierney/Paul/L.Brown/Wolanin/Balcers and or picks packaged for a much more proven player or 2.

Even with that lineup above, we still have to account for Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik and Logan Brown.

We could even move Ryan.

There are so many scenarios that it's hard to fathom. Dorion can really, really propel this team skywards by 1-2 real savvy moves this off-season, and imo he will definitely make a couple moves because next year we cant afford to tank, it's a development year and the boys will need to be properly insulated.

I don’t think that roster meets the cap floor ?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don’t you think whoever drafts Byfield will almost have to play him in the AHL. Not much value in sending him back to Junior.
He cant go to the AHL... Common knowledge. Plenty of value sending him back to Jr he is a late birthday and is literally still growing. Look how much better Lafreniere is after playing his third year in Jr.

... Lundell? Second in Liiga in corsi. Second on his team in FO%. He was already an effective player in World Juniors last year at 17. Decent size and he clearly already thinks the game at an NHL level.

Sending Byfield back to junior seems silly to me. He's too big, too fast, too strong for that league. Aside from the immensely diminishing returns, there's more risk of hurting his development by sending him back than there would be to play him in the NHL. He'd quite likely develop bad habits and get used to being able to lean on his size and skill. He's strong enough and fast enough to play in the NHL, he just needs to learn how to process and execute at the highest level.
His game isnt close to ready if you want him to hit his peak potential. He is an August birthday. Look how much better Rossi, Zary, Quinn and Lafreniere are this season. There is real risk in rushing him. Big players take longer to develop. Unless he blows the doors off at camp the best thing to do is send him back ti Jr for his 18 year old season. Dominate jr's like Laf and continue him on the patient development curve. Both Thornton and Lecavalier really struggled as 18 year olds in the NHL i see Byfield as a similar prospect.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both Thornton and Lecavalier really struggled as 18 year olds in the NHL i see Byfield as a similar prospect.

Do you think either Thornton or Lecavalier's development was hurt by playing them as 18 year olds in the NHL? They both turned out pretty good in the long run despite a rough start.

I don't think Byfield needs to play in the NHL by any means, there's still room to grow in the CHL, but I also don't think it will necessarily hurt his development to play in the NHL so long as he's given an appropriate role and opportunities.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Do you think either Thornton or Lecavalier's development was hurt by playing them as 18 year olds in the NHL? They both turned out pretty good in the long run despite a rough start.

I don't think Byfield needs to play in the NHL by any means, there's still room to grow in the CHL, but I also don't think it will necessarily hurt his development to play in the NHL so long as he's given an appropriate role and opportunities.
it won't hurt him. I bet he's in the NHL for sure.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I think the Sens (or who ever) would be to nervous to offend the player and slow his UFA clock. Next thing we know he demands a trade, reenters the draft etc.

He is probably good/hyped enough to direct his interests.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think the Sens (or who ever) would be to nervous to offend the player and slow his UFA clock. Next thing we know he demands a trade, reenters the draft etc.

He is probably good/hyped enough to direct his interests.

lol no, not gonna happen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think you're right. Reinhart was the last #2 OA that didn't play the full season after being drafted 2nd, he got 9 games though. That's 5 consecutive 2nd OA players that immediately played, and of them, I'd argue only Eichel was a higher profile prospect.

For better or for worse, I think Byfield plays immediately.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why do you think he will end up in the NHL ? He clearly isn't ready.
How is he "clearly not ready"? We haven't even seen him in an NHL camp. If he didn't play in the WJC people wouldn't be questioning his ability to go to the NHL right away. His production is on par with guys who jump in right away.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How is he "clearly not ready"? We haven't even seen him in an NHL camp. If he didn't play in the WJC people wouldn't be questioning his ability to go to the NHL right away. His production is on par with guys who jump in right away.

You are right ... I am speculating. There is very little evidence that he could hold down a top 6 roll in the NHL. Perhaps he can survive on the 4th line with 5 min a night. Perhaps he shows up at camp and dominates the league. I just think it is less likely than more likely. If he cracks the top 6 it means he probably has at least one other rookie with him which isn't ideal. As a side note, he is the player I want most from the draft. If he played un junior and the WJ's next year I would expect him to dominate => than Laf this year.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He cant go to the AHL... Common knowledge. Plenty of value sending him back to Jr he is a late birthday and is literally still growing. Look how much better Lafreniere is after playing his third year in Jr.

His game isnt close to ready if you want him to hit his peak potential. He is an August birthday. Look how much better Rossi, Zary, Quinn and Lafreniere are this season. There is real risk in rushing him. Big players take longer to develop. Unless he blows the doors off at camp the best thing to do is send him back ti Jr for his 18 year old season. Dominate jr's like Laf and continue him on the patient development curve. Both Thornton and Lecavalier really struggled as 18 year olds in the NHL i see Byfield as a similar prospect.

What do you see as the risk in rushing him? Lecavalier and Thornton turned out fine.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

If I had to make the call right now I would stay send him back as well. He will have a chance to show he is ready in development camp, training camp and a 9 game stint. My reservations come from watching him at the WJC and at the prospects game and those are small samples but when the pace went up around him he did not shine imo. Any NHL team that drafts him will have ample opportunity to test him .. If he needs more time.. send him back . I don't see the pressure to rush him into the lineup.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

This doesn't make sense to me. If there was still room to grow in the CHL then send him back. There is not - or more specifically, there is but not enough to be worth wasting a year of his development.

He's physically ready, his skating and stick skills are there. He needs to learn how to play with the pace and physicality he's going to need at the NHL level. He's either going to figure it out or he isn't. Might as well get him started ASAP. Is it going to be a struggle for him? You better believe it will be. But there's no point of him going back to junior.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont think it helped them. Under the current CBA it just gets them to UFA faster. Maybe they end up even better who knows. Everything I have read is his only weakness's are maturity and overall hockey IQ. He will have onlty been 18 years old for 2 months when the season will have started. That is a very young person in a mans game that might not be ahead of schedule in his development from a physical and mental stand point.

How do you know this? How do you know it wont benefit him more to develop his vision while having more time with the puck. Getting to be the man at the WJC. Its also harder on your body to play in the NHL for a full year and the sens arent going to be competing next season. I see no long term benefit unless like I said he blows the doors off.

I think you're right. Reinhart was the last #2 OA that didn't play the full season after being drafted 2nd, he got 9 games though. That's 5 consecutive 2nd OA players that immediately played, and of them, I'd argue only Eichel was a higher profile prospect.

For better or for worse, I think Byfield plays immediately.

Why burn a year of his ELC just because? Look at the sens lineup right now. Formenton, Brown, Norris, Balcers and Batherson are all likely ready for the NHL next season.

This doesn't make sense to me. If there was still room to grow in the CHL then send him back. There is not - or more specifically, there is but not enough to be worth wasting a year of his development.

He's physically ready, his skating and stick skills are there. He needs to learn how to play with the pace and physicality he's going to need at the NHL level. He's either going to figure it out or he isn't. Might as well get him started ASAP. Is it going to be a struggle for him? You better believe it will be. But there's no point of him going back to junior.

When he is physically ready he will be dominating the competition from that standpoint. He isnt that strong yet which is not suprising considering he is 17 and a half. Its really not that simple like you have made it sound here. Big players ALWAYS take longer to develop literally using 4 players as examples that have benefited greatly by an extra year in jr. Lafreniere, Quinn, Zary, Rossi and look at Nicholas Robertson. They are all improving dramatically in their 18 year old year in jr.

Id love to see the sens draft Byfield and for him to play so well that they have to keep him up in the lineup. But there are more factors and most of them point to him benefiting more from another season in JR. His production is but his body type, age and apparent weakness's are reasons that he might not be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why burn a year of his ELC just because? Look at the sens lineup right now. Formenton, Brown, Norris, Balcers and Batherson are all likely ready for the NHL next season.

Not saying they should do it, just that I think whoever drafts him will based on precedence.

I agree that you're burning a ELC year and bringing him to UFA a year earlier by playing him. Neither is good for a team that doesn't intend to compete for the cup right away, particularly if he's not blowing the doors off.

We shall see. I think the shiny new toy will be too hard to resist for whatever team drafts him.

Reactions: bert

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
When he is physically ready he will be dominating the competition from that standpoint. He isnt that strong yet which is not suprising considering he is 17 and a half. Its really not that simple like you have made it sound here. Big players ALWAYS take longer to develop literally using 4 players as examples that have benefited greatly by an extra year in jr. Lafreniere, Quinn, Zary, Rossi and look at Nicholas Robertson. They are all improving dramatically in their 18 year old year in jr.

I actually somehow hadn't considered the fact that it would take him to UFA sooner. I momentarily forgot about the seven accrued seasons and was just thinking 27 years old.

But the crux of my position is, I think if he stays in junior it is going to be too easy for him to lean on his size and raw talents, instead of working on the details that he needs to develop in order to be a good pro. While I don't think it poses much long-term risk, it will mean he's not going to come into the NHL very much more prepared a year later than if he came in this fall. So while I wouldn't go so far as to call it a waste of a season, and it would avoid eating into his RFA years, I still just don't see the point. The NHL team that drafts him top five is going to want/need him to reach his potential ASAP, and I agree bigger players take longer to develop, but with this particular player I believe the sooner he gets to the NHL, the sooner he'll reach his potential; more junior isn't going to do it.

I guess one other point since you mentioned Zary and those guys: aside from Quinn who is only in his second season, those guys were dominating their leagues out of the gates this season. That suggests to me that the extra year had nothing to do with it: that development came throughout last season, and especially from playoffs, U18s and during the summer. I hope I'm not misunderstood here: obviously those players have continued to develop throughout this season, but that's not why the've put up the numbers they have this year, if that makes sense. I only bring it up because people have pointed out the difference between Lafreniere's 2019 WJC to his 2020 WJC, but if that tournament happened in September instead of December, I think he would have been just as dominant.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad