2020-2021 Laval Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
-Probability is high that teams start calling for Joel Bouchard
-Confirms Bouchard's contract is over
-For now Bouchard wants to focus on the ''Black Aces'' with the Canadiens during the playoffs
-Doesn't mean Bouchard won't be back, he is in a good position for negociations and no one knows what will happen yet
-Marcotte received at least 50 messages on Twitter with people saying they cannot believe Bouchard wasn't re-signed during the year, but he mentions this is not something out of the ordinary for an AHL coach (to coach during their final contract year)
-Marcotte thinks that Ducharme could be back as head coach for MTL even though all the fans want to see Bouchard, since his popularity has never been higher
-Josh Brook didn't say what his injury was, but he had trouble actually walking up to the stage where he was doing his interview, it was hard for him to sit down
-Marcotte thinks it's a significant injury for Brook with at least a couple of weeks for recovery; he will stay in Montreal right now to get back in shape
-Marcotte says Brook improved both offensively and defensively this year, had a good year overall. Next year will be important since it's his 3rd year of entry level contract. He needs to get a look in the NHL.
-Marcotte thinks Veilleux will be back
-Marcotte says both Olofsson and Leskinen might not want to be back because they haven't been playing enough in the NHL. They didn't want to committ and say they need to discuss with their agents and with the organisation.
-Leskinen still doesn't master the English language very well but Marcotte says you can tell it's a let down for him not to have had more chances in the NHL.
-Even if he had a good year, Marcotte doesn't think he did enough to warrant being higher in the eyes of the organisation. Unsure about NHL potential
-Very impressed by Mysak. Also doesn't master the English language but is really not shy even with average speaking skills. Cannot play in AHL next year; either OHL or Czech league
-Mysak said the most difficult thing was to be alone at 18 years old in his condo, making food, doing laundry, etc
-Marcotte says Mysak is really funny and has a great attitude
-Marcotte thinks Mysak will play in OHL and dominate offensively (more than a point per game)
-McNiven should be back next year, the only guy who has been with the Rocket since their inaugural season
-Important season this year for McNiven since he played all year in AHL (no ECHL) and had good stats
-Marcotte doesn't know if McNiven can reach the NHL, but he can be a #1 in AHL. Good depth guy.
-Schuneman and Bisson had very good seasons, no one expected it especially for Bisson. Played all last 28 games to finish the season, 5th in AHL with +17
-Bisson is very positive to be back next year
-Schueneman could be a call-up option for the Canadiens next year
-Marcotte is going for 2 weeks vacation where he will golf
Much obliged kind sir :thumbu: So they did somewhat address Bouchard's contract situation, I was very curious about that. Goes without saying that bringing him back should be at the top of the to-do list. I agree with him that Leskinen and Olofsson are both probably gone, with Fairbrother coming in next season ( and potentially Leguerrier is they sign him before June 1st) we might still need to add at least one solid AHL vet on defense. I'm assuming Ouellet-Brook-Fleury-Bisson-Schueneman are all coming back so there should be some continuity there.

Reactions: Gyfu

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With Guhle, Norlinder, Harris and Struble probably all turning pro at the same time next April/May, it's definitely last call for Leskinen, Brook and Fleury

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
With Guhle, Norlinder, Harris and Struble probably all turning pro at the same time next April/May, it's definitely last call for Leskinen, Brook and Fleury

Fleury is also waiver eligible starting next year, so it's possible we lose him on waiver if he doesn't make the Habs. I could see teams like NJ, Detroit of Buffalo try him as depth.

Brook has until 2022-2023 and has the advantage of being our only natural RD apart from Fleury.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Marcotte says both Olofsson and Leskinen might not want to be back because they haven't been playing enough in the NHL. They didn't want to committ and say they need to discuss with their agents and with the organisation.

-Leskinen still doesn't master the English language very well but Marcotte says you can tell it's a let down for him not to have had more chances in the NHL.Even if he had a good year, Marcotte doesn't think he did enough to warrant being higher in the eyes of the organisation. Unsure about NHL potential

-Marcotte thinks Mysak will play in OHL and dominate offensively (more than a point per game)

-Marcotte doesn't know if McNiven can reach the NHL, but he can be a #1 in AHL. Good depth guy.

-Schuneman and Bisson had very good seasons, no one expected it especially for Bisson. Played all last 28 games to finish the season, 5th in AHL with +17

-Bisson is very positive to be back next year

-Schueneman could be a call-up option for the Canadiens next year

thanks for that.

I figure MB and Dom will be back next year. I hope they can work out a long term deal with Bouchard.

I figure Olofsson is gone, no room for him since Ouellet is there although if Leskinen leaves then that would open a spot. I could see why Leskinen wouldn't be happy, I never saw him as having much NHL upside but he really surprised me with his play this year.

I fully expect Mysak to be in the OHL next season and do very well.

I also think McNiven can be a starter in the AHL, NHL is tougher to say.

I had heard Marcotte say after Schueneman got signed that others could join him. I wasn't sure if Bisson would get an NHL or AHL contract but with his steady play i thought for sure he would be back.

Not sure if Schueneman can pay in the NHL or not, he'll be 26 before the season starts, like the skating and he's got some skill. Maybe he could be a guy that fills in for a game or two.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Fleury is also waiver eligible starting next year, so it's possible we lose him on waiver if he doesn't make the Habs. I could see teams like NJ, Detroit of Buffalo try him as depth.

Brook has until 2022-2023 and has the advantage of being our only natural RD apart from Fleury.
It's been such a weird season for Fleury, he went from almost being a regular with the big team in 19-20 to almost becoming an afterthought on our depth chart in 20-21. He really needs to come in strong at the training camp and reclaim his spot on the totem pole or he might get completely lost in the shuffle.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Youre
You're awesome my man, always sharp with anything habs related... You and Montreal are the reason i first fell in love with hf... Keep it up boys you guys are great and exactly what i look for, very smart guys (whether i agree or not is not the point) it's also nice to share thoughts because of it... I like a good argument with a person thet can weigh the pro's AND the cons... Tip of my hat... Again, keep the info coming, it's all i am looking for and gotta say i look for both of you when i am on :thumbsup:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Youre
You're awesome my man, always sharp with anything habs related... You and Montreal are the reason i first fell in love with hf... Keep it up boys you guys are great and exactly what i look for, very smart guys (whether i agree or not is not the point) it's also nice to share thoughts because of it... I like a good argument with a person thet can weigh the pro's AND the cons... Tip of my hat... Again, keep the info coming, it's all i am looking for and gotta say i look for both of you when i am on :thumbsup:

very kind of you to say as I'm sure I speak for Adam on that.

Also in case you don't know, feel free to check out and hopefully subscribe to my youtube channel. When the playoffs are over I will be putting out my season ending in 3 parts on the channel first.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpCV8U88AMMRGtN-ZCILWsw

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Much obliged kind sir :thumbu: So they did somewhat address Bouchard's contract situation, I was very curious about that. Goes without saying that bringing him back should be at the top of the to-do list. I agree with him that Leskinen and Olofsson are both probably gone, with Fairbrother coming in next season ( and potentially Leguerrier is they sign him before June 1st) we might still need to add at least one solid AHL vet on defense. I'm assuming Ouellet-Brook-Fleury-Bisson-Schueneman are all coming back so there should be some continuity there.
Fleury is no longer waiver-exempt. I think Habs will learn from the Juulsen experience and keep him on the big league roster as one of 8 D.

I think there are going to be a lot of open spots on Laval, especially at F. I can't see them re-signing their Group VI Free Agents.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Fleury is no longer waiver-exempt. I think Habs will learn from the Juulsen experience and keep him on the big league roster as one of 8 D.

I think there are going to be a lot of open spots on Laval, especially at F. I can't see them re-signing their Group VI Free Agents.

I'd bring Baddock and Vejdemo back. Dauphin and Weal, I would consider as well.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Has to be said though that if BOTH Brook and Fleury make the Habs there won't be much depth left with Laval on defense. Especially if Leskinen and Olofsson leave.

Ouellet, Schuneman, Bisson and Fairbrother would make up the top-4. Though, I guess Kulak could be cut and waived if Brook and Fleury make it, but he could be picked off on waivers.

Bergevin definitely needs to sign a Leskinen/Olofsson replacement to ensure we have quality depth in Laval

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Has to be said though that if BOTH Brook and Fleury make the Habs there won't be much depth left with Laval on defense. Especially if Leskinen and Olofsson leave.

Ouellet, Schuneman, Bisson and Fairbrother would make up the top-4. Though, I guess Kulak could be cut and waived if Brook and Fleury make it, but he could be picked off on waivers.

Bergevin definitely needs to sign a Leskinen/Olofsson replacement to ensure we have quality depth in Laval

unless we are rebuilding, i doubt we see Brook and Fleury on the Habs, they need more time in Laval.

Kulak would clear waivers at 2.2M salary, flat cap, most teams haven't have fans all year. He's just not very good imo. In fact I hope he's in Laval next year as they need to upgrade the D in a major way or they won't make the playoffs next year.

Reactions: WinterLion

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
unless we are rebuilding, i doubt we see Brook and Fleury on the Habs, they need more time in Laval.

Kulak would clear waivers at 2.2M salary, flat cap, most teams haven't have fans all year. He's just not very good imo. In fact I hope he's in Laval next year as they need to upgrade the D in a major way or they won't make the playoffs next year.

Kulak's salary is 1.85 but I do agree, I can see him in Laval too

Reactions: WinterLion

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd bring Baddock and Vejdemo back. Dauphin and Weal, I would consider as well.
I like Vejdemo but thought he wants to try his luck elsewhere. Weal too might want to go for an NHL gig with a weaker team.

Baddock is AHL contract level, Dauphin too. I'm not opposed to Laval signing them if they have a need and the players are ok with it.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I like Vejdemo but thought he wants to try his luck elsewhere. Weal too might want to go for an NHL gig with a weaker team.

Baddock is AHL contract level, Dauphin too. I'm not opposed to Laval signing them if they have a need and the players are ok with it.

I would be surprised if Baddock doesn't have a NHL two-way contract next year, with us or elsewhere.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I would be surprised if Baddock doesn't have a NHL two-way contract next year, with us or elsewhere.
Maybe, he's still young enough that a team might see more out of him than strickly a career AHLer. I like him enough that I wouldnt mind us giving him a 2 year, 2 way deal TBH. That said, you do generaly want to reserve those for guys with a legit chance at a call up/ injury filler position.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Some reports out of Russia (and I think Stephane Leroux mentioned it in one of the broadcasts, as well) that Weal is headed to the KHL. Rumor has it he signed a 2-year deal with AK Bars Kazan.

It also sounds like Leskinen will return to Europe. It's possible Vejdemo will, too. Although I would like to have him back. I feel like Vejdemo has enough to at least be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Olofsson also might not be back. I know he and his wife just had a baby and after Laval's season was over, he left to return to Sweden. It's possible he stays there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Some reports out of Russia (and I think Stephane Leroux mentioned it in one of the broadcasts, as well) that Weal is headed to the KHL. Rumor has it he signed a 2-year deal with AK Bars Kazan.

It also sounds like Leskinen will return to Europe. It's possible Vejdemo will, too. Although I would like to have him back. I feel like Vejdemo has enough to at least be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Olofsson also might not be back. I know he and his wife just had a baby and after Laval's season was over, he left to return to Sweden. It's possible he stays there.
I think the chances of re-signing a Group 6 UFA are low so I assume it won't happen when 31 other teams could try to make a case that they are a better fit for the plyer to break through to tne next level for whateve reasons they can propose.

I'd give a Qualifying offer to all the RFAs, except Luccini and Pezzetta. Assuming we re-sign 3 of our UFAs (for example Danault, Armia, Perry), and probably Mysak's and Guhle's contract won't count, we would be at 40 contracts, including Schueneman and Harvey-Pinard.

That leaves room for new blood.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think the chances of re-signing a Group 6 UFA are low so I assume it won't happen when 31 other teams could try to make a case that they are a better fit for the plyer to break through to tne next level for whateve reasons they can propose.

I'd give a Qualifying offer to all the RFAs, except Luccini and Pezzetta. Assuming we re-sign 3 of our UFAs (for example Danault, Armia, Perry), and probably Mysak's and Guhle's contract won't count, we would be at 40 contracts, including Schueneman and Harvey-Pinard.

That leaves room for new blood.

I'd bring back Pezzetta, especially if you're not bringing back Baddock. You still need a guy like them in the AHL.

Your scenario would leave us with:
XXX - Poehling - Ylonen
RHP - Blandisi - XXX
Teasdale -Hillis - XXX
Khisamutdinov - XXX - XXX

Ouellet - Brook
Schueneman - XXX
Fairbrother - XXX

Primeau
McNiven

You better get some good vet FA or Laval will be terrible.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd bring back Pezzetta, especially if you're not bringing back Baddock. You still need a guy like them in the AHL.

Your scenario would leave us with:
XXX - Poehling - Ylonen
RHP - Blandisi - XXX
Teasdale -Hillis - XXX
Khisamutdinov - XXX - XXX

Ouellet - Brook
Schueneman - XXX
Fairbrother - XXX

Primeau
McNiven

You better get some good vet FA or Laval will be terrible.
Sure, but they are not hard to find. Lots of players looking for a fresh start.

Add some AHL contracts, like re-signing Veilleux, Paquette-Bisson and maybe Amorosa.

I also think we will re-sign Belzile, but Poehling will likely be in Montreal, and maybe Ylonen too with so many forwards likely leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad