2020-2021 Laval Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What didn't you understand...i said there is is no one of impact on Laval this year that can help us next year. Brook has been up and down. Ylonen - i don't know what to make of, but if Ikonen and Olofson prove anything, it's that i won't hold me breathe. Poehling is a bottom six forward (after being told for years he could be a #1 C). Primeau hasn't set the world on fire either, but i'll give him a pass.

Sorry, but I'm very skeptical of another smurf in RHP - we were saying the same about Hillis. Who else is there? Leskinen? Vedejmo? Teasdale? Fleury? Dime a dozen plugs.

Sorry, i just don't see the hype on these kids.

Maybe the next batch you listed of Mysak, Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Tuch, Farrell can trun into to something....or not. Norlinder has glaring warts. Struble is still incredibly raw and had a so so year. Harris is another 2 years away and Guhle seems to have the same scouting report of Juulsen when he was drafted. And Farrell i am not sold on despite his numbers this year in a low level league.

I like Tuch though....

That's usually what happens when your top4 20-21 years old are already in the NHL (Suzuki, Caufield, KK, Romanov). It creates a gap in the influx of young talent.

Ylonen is more proven at the Euro and NA level, so no idea why you are even comparing him to Olofsson and Ikonen. He's been doing very good at the AHL level but wings (especially RW) are pretty overflowed right now (Gallagher, Toffoli, Anderson, Caufield, Armia, Perry), so he doesn't really have a spot to take in the NHL.

Brook has been progressing nicely after a rough start. Still not ready, like most 21 years old D. I could see him getting called up mid-year if injuries strike.
Poehling could play in the NHL next year. I'd prefer if he continued working on his game with more TOI in the AHL though.
RHP was very surprising this year at the AHL level. I thought he would struggle due to his size, but it hasn't really. He's like a less skilled Gallagher. Type of guy that could fit well on an energy line.
Hillis had a rough adaptation, but Bouchard said a lot of good things about him, so I'm ready to give him a pass and see next year.
Leskinen improved a lot and could make the Habs next year. Depends who goes.
Vejdemo could maybe be a spare forward.
Teasdale has been good especially considering he missed a whole year.
Fleury has been disappointing.
Pezzetta I would say he has an outside chance at becoming a 4th line tough guy in a few years.

Mysak has been good in the AHL in his D+1. Looks great for in a few years.
Norlinder progression has been good, not sure about "glaring warts".
Struble was 2nd behind Harris for pts by D on his team, why so-so?
Guhle is way ahead of Juulsen at the same age. He was AHL ready this year.
Farrell I wouldn't say USHL is low level (it's not BCHL, AJHL etc), but I agree about waiting to see how he does in Harvard.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
That's usually what happens when your top4 20-21 years old are already in the NHL (Suzuki, Caufield, KK, Romanov). It creates a gap in the influx of young talent.

Ylonen is more proven at the Euro and NA level, so no idea why you are even comparing him to Olofsson and Ikonen. He's been doing very good at the AHL level but wings (especially RW) are pretty overflowed right now (Gallagher, Toffoli, Anderson, Caufield, Armia, Perry), so he doesn't really have a spot to take in the NHL.

Brook has been progressing nicely after a rough start. Still not ready, like most 21 years old D. I could see him getting called up mid-year if injuries strike.
Poehling could play in the NHL next year. I'd prefer if he continued working on his game with more TOI in the AHL though.
RHP was very surprising this year at the AHL level. I thought he would struggle due to his size, but it hasn't really. He's like a less skilled Gallagher. Type of guy that could fit well on an energy line.
Hillis had a rough adaptation, but Bouchard said a lot of good things about him, so I'm ready to give him a pass and see next year.
Leskinen improved a lot and could make the Habs next year. Depends who goes.
Vejdemo could maybe be a spare forward.
Teasdale has been good especially considering he missed a whole year.
Fleury has been disappointing.
Pezzetta I would say he has an outside chance at becoming a 4th line tough guy in a few years.

Mysak has been good in the AHL in his D+1. Looks great for in a few years.
Norlinder progression has been good, not sure about "glaring warts".
Struble was 2nd behind Harris for pts by D on his team, why so-so?
Guhle is way ahead of Juulsen at the same age. He was AHL ready this year.
Farrell I wouldn't say USHL is low level (it's not BCHL, AJHL etc), but I agree about waiting to see how he does in Harvard.
I wish I can share your enthusiasm and optimism about our prospects, but I don’t.

This scouting staff does not deserve the benefit of the doubt given the amount of failed picks and busts over the past 15 years, especially the last 8

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I wish I can share your enthusiasm and optimism about our prospects, but I don’t.

This scouting staff does not deserve the benefit of the doubt given the amount of failed picks and busts over the past 15 years, especially the last 8

I wish I could understand using Ikonen as a comparison to Ylonen apart from the fact they are both Finnish. Or using Olofsson who's a defensive C.

Ylonen has proven to be good at the AHL level in his rookie year. I don't know how you can be down on him right now.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I wish I could understand using Ikonen as a comparison to Ylonen apart from the fact they are both Finnish. Or using Olofsson who's a defensive C.

Ylonen has proven to be good at the AHL level in his rookie year. I don't know how you can be down on him right now.
The comparison stands as I lump all our Euro offensive prospects in the same vain as our Euro scouting has been utterly garbage

Ikonen, Oloffson, de la Rose, - all guys that were “steals of the draft!” with “untapped offensive potential” only to turn into nothing.

Sorry if Ylonen’s ok year doesn’t excite me as it sounds and feels too reminiscent of our Euros drafted the last 10 years.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The comparison stands as I lump all our Euro offensive prospects in the same vain as our Euro scouting has been utterly garbage

Ikonen, Oloffson, de la Rose, - all guys that were “steals of the draft!” with “untapped offensive potential” only to turn into nothing.

Sorry if Ylonen’s ok year doesn’t excite me as it sounds and feels too reminiscent of our Euros drafted the last 10 years.

Have you watched Ylonen play much?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

How is it reminiscent if it is better than any euro forward had in the last 10 years?

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
How is it reminiscent if it is better than any euro forward had in the last 10 years?
I'm tired of trying to explain it again.

If you're happy with our current prospect pool, good for you. I'm not - every year i keep getting fed this line of how we "turned the corner" and how "we have so many exciting prospects" only for them to turn into nothing,

Sorry if i'm jaded and not believing the hype - can't blame me knowing the results of this scouting staff for the past 20 years .

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So what happens with Demchenko now? 3-0-1 2.25gaa and .905 sv%

Barely got any games, I would not be surprised if he NA experience is over and he heads back to Russia.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So what happens with Demchenko now? 3-0-1 2.25gaa and .905 sv%

Barely got any games, I would not be surprised if he NA experience is over and he heads back to Russia.

We'll see this summer. If Allen is taken in the expansion draft and we don't replace him, I'd keep Demchenko as a challenger to Primeau for the backup job.

If Allen stays, I'd keep McNiven before Demchenko. I'd keep him for TR if he wants.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
-Can Leskinen make the Habs? Would he be willing to play another year in the AHL? He is RFA. Will he sign a one-way contract?

I don't think he makes the Habs next year, but with the way he has progressed there might be some NHL potential. Should be definitely offered a contract and I would guess he'd accept.

-Is Cale Fleury ready for the NHL? Would he pass through waivers? Will Seattle be interested?

I don't think he's a regular NHLer at this point, but he might be picked off waivers. I can see him being kept on the roster as a #8D next year. I don't see Seattle being interested.

-Lukas Vejdemo is a UFA. Does he sign a one-way contract with the Habs or does he try his luck elsewhere?

He might have a future as a depth forward in the NHL, but I don't know if he still sees a path for himself in this organization. If he wants to stay I would definitely bring him back for another year.

-Ryan Poehling; 4th line in Montreal or 1st line in Laval?

A lot will depend on Jake Evans. I'm ok with either scenario, although this year perhaps has shown that we should take a patient route with him.

-Can Josh Brook take the next step and become a #1 Dman in the AHL on his way to making the NHL?

He definitely needs another year in the AHL, but if he continues to progress at this pace, he has a chance to establish himself as one of Lavals' leading players.

-Will Cayden Primeau be backup in Montreal if Price/Allen leaves for Seattle?

Primeau should definitely stay in the AHL for another full season.

-Arsen Khisamutdinov is already 23. How long is he interested to play 4th line in the AHL?

If he's not interested, he will certainly not be missed. He did get better with time, so there's no harm in keeping him, especially with an ECHL team starting next year.

-Is Alex Belzile interested to sign a Xavier Ouellet-type contract and be a key veteran for the Rocket for a couple of years?

Don't see why he wouldn't be.

-Will Ikonen, Olofsson, Stapley or Leguerrier sign and play in Laval in 2021-22?

Stapley perhaps. I doubt about the rest.

-Do Bisson or Veilleux on AHL contracts deserve an NHL contract?

Veilleux should definitely get a deal. Not only as a recognition of his impact, but also as an incentive for others, to show that hard work pays off. Bisson has been surprisingly steady, so I wouldn't be against signing him as well. What's the minimum term in his case?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-5-18_20-27-38.png

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Don't expect Weal or Olofsson back. I'd QO Blandisi, Pezzetta & McNiven, but not Lucchini.

Hopefully they resign Baddock.

Veilleux and Bisson coming back is ok too.

Not sure about Belzile. Seems like he's always injured. Wouldn't mind giving his NHL contract spot to someone else.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

Bottom line is, that they need to be in a position to draft a true potential superstar/franchise player. They really haven't been aside from when they drafted KK. Most other picks were mid to low. Unless you get lucky (maybe with Caufield), you're probably getting third liners and second pair D men. Ylonen was good for where he was drafted. Brook - we'll see. But he's not screaming top 3 defense just yet. Guhle could end up top pair. The rest are up in the air IMHO.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Marcotte gives his thoughts on Laval's season, i'm at work but if someone wants to do a cliff notes for the board,

Chronique d'Anthony Marcotte

-Probability is high that teams start calling for Joel Bouchard
-Confirms Bouchard's contract is over
-For now Bouchard wants to focus on the ''Black Aces'' with the Canadiens during the playoffs
-Doesn't mean Bouchard won't be back, he is in a good position for negociations and no one knows what will happen yet
-Marcotte received at least 50 messages on Twitter with people saying they cannot believe Bouchard wasn't re-signed during the year, but he mentions this is not something out of the ordinary for an AHL coach (to coach during their final contract year)
-Marcotte thinks that Ducharme could be back as head coach for MTL even though all the fans want to see Bouchard, since his popularity has never been higher
-Josh Brook didn't say what his injury was, but he had trouble actually walking up to the stage where he was doing his interview, it was hard for him to sit down
-Marcotte thinks it's a significant injury for Brook with at least a couple of weeks for recovery; he will stay in Montreal right now to get back in shape
-Marcotte says Brook improved both offensively and defensively this year, had a good year overall. Next year will be important since it's his 3rd year of entry level contract. He needs to get a look in the NHL.
-Marcotte thinks Veilleux will be back
-Marcotte says both Olofsson and Leskinen might not want to be back because they haven't been playing enough in the NHL. They didn't want to committ and say they need to discuss with their agents and with the organisation.
-Leskinen still doesn't master the English language very well but Marcotte says you can tell it's a let down for him not to have had more chances in the NHL.
-Even if he had a good year, Marcotte doesn't think he did enough to warrant being higher in the eyes of the organisation. Unsure about NHL potential
-Very impressed by Mysak. Also doesn't master the English language but is really not shy even with average speaking skills. Cannot play in AHL next year; either OHL or Czech league
-Mysak said the most difficult thing was to be alone at 18 years old in his condo, making food, doing laundry, etc
-Marcotte says Mysak is really funny and has a great attitude
-Marcotte thinks Mysak will play in OHL and dominate offensively (more than a point per game)
-McNiven should be back next year, the only guy who has been with the Rocket since their inaugural season
-Important season this year for McNiven since he played all year in AHL (no ECHL) and had good stats
-Marcotte doesn't know if McNiven can reach the NHL, but he can be a #1 in AHL. Good depth guy.
-Schuneman and Bisson had very good seasons, no one expected it especially for Bisson. Played all last 28 games to finish the season, 5th in AHL with +17
-Bisson is very positive to be back next year
-Schueneman could be a call-up option for the Canadiens next year
-Marcotte is going for 2 weeks vacation where he will golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->