2020/2021 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Its absolutely incredible how much just gets completely glazed over.

Literal home grown Vezina calibre prime aged goalie, let walk, for nothing.

Imagine if Jets just let helley walk to the oilers, or gibson to the kings, vasi to the Panthers, for nothing, over 6m yr.

Yeah, but imagine if the Jets, Ducks, or Tampa instead had about $30 million in cap tied up with Eriksson, Myers, Ferland, Sutter, Baertschi, Beagle, Roussel, and Spooner.

They would suck, bye bye Cup from Tampa.

Reactions: mossey3535

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Markstrom with that beauty .789 percentage. That's a premium performance for 6 million.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Calgary sure starts poorly in 1st periods. They were the better team after 1.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
And he has a .928 save percentage the other games. Tyler Myers is getting paid 6m to get scored on as much or more than half the other teams in the league.

You mean .928 save percentage from Vancouver playing its absolute worst hockey. He let 5 goals in his first game before that.

Lmao, his save percentage is now .911, yah that .928 save percentage argument didn't last too long.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You mean .928 save percentage from Vancouver playing its absolute worst hockey. He let 5 goals in his first game before that.

Lmao, his save percentage is now .911, yah that .928 save percentage argument didn't last too long.

3.70 .888
4.33 .890

The Canucks goaltending, on the other hand, has been stellar.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That is beautiful . :popcorn:

Yeah, I enjoyed this.

I know Tkachuk is ridiculously talented, but I also find him fundamentally unlikeable. He doesn’t have benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to plays like what happened with Campbell, because he’s always going out of his way to get a piece of someone. To see some players give him back a bit of his own game is almost as much of a treat as watching him have a tantrum over it.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, I enjoyed this.

I know Tkachuk is ridiculously talented, but I also find him fundamentally unlikeable. He doesn’t have benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to plays like what happened with Campbell, because he’s always going out of his way to get a piece of someone. To see some players give him back a bit of his own game is almost as much of a tread as watching him have a tantrum over it.

Yep.

Wish we'd drafted him.

Then traded him.

I want the Canucks to be led by class acts, like the Sedins, Horvat, Petey, Tanev, Hamhuis, Hansen etc the list is long and distinguished

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
3.70 .888
4.33 .890

The Canucks goaltending, on the other hand, has been stellar.

I didn't realize we are paying 6 million for 6 years for a goalie as well.

I bet either Holtby or Democrat normalizes and will have similar stats to Markstrom.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I bet either Holtby or Democrat normalizes and will have similar stats to Markstrom.

Thanks for making my point.

I'd imagine that Markstrom's stats are going to be closer to .925 than the .789 you were touting earlier.

Markstrom is a good goalie, but the Canucks were probably wise to walk away from the term he was asking. No need to slag him.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Similar in what way? If you are suggesting by season end that the combined numbers of Demko and Holtby GAA will be within say 0.1 from Markstrom, and S% will be say within 0.05, I'll take that bet.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Letting markstrom go had nothing to do with this season, it has to do with seasons 3-6. Same as tanev.

The Canucks have bad contracts, but regardless of those bad contracts and the impact of allowing some key players walk, I think the team accepted that it was not in a position to compete this season and didn't want to be dealing with more bad contracts 3 years down the line.

If the goal is a cup, it was a reasonable (but tough) path to take.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Love Tkachuk. Yeah it's cringe when he has his little temper tantrum, but it's pretty f***ing cringe when Miller has his little tantrum because he lost a puck battle and then lost another one because he was too busy screaming having his little tantie on the way to the bench.

They're competitive. It's silly to us because we're not them and we're not professionals playing at the top so we can't relate. Tkachuk is just mad because Toronto got to leave with a smile on their faces having got Tkachuk good at the end. It's the agitator personality type, he wants to make the game not very fun to play for the other team. That's Tkachuk's game and they got him this time and he doesn't like it, and it's probably a good thing for him, his career and his team for him to really not like it.

Reactions: vanuck

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The Canucks have bad contracts, but regardless of those bad contracts and the impact of allowing some key players walk, I think the team accepted that it was not in a position to compete this season and didn't want to be dealing with more bad contracts 3 years down the line.
If you know anything about Benning, you know this is bullshit.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
Letting markstrom go had nothing to do with this season, it has to do with seasons 3-6. Same as tanev.

If the goal is a cup, it was a reasonable (but tough) path to take.
Agreed, and it's why despite all the complaining, nobody here will simply state that they would have signed those players to those contacts. It's really quite interesting. Usually it's easiest to say "we should have signed this player to this contract!" In year one of the deal, and yet nobody is stepping up to the plate to back up their beliefs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed, and it's why despite all the complaining, nobody here will simply state that they would have signed those players to those contacts. It's really quite interesting. Usually it's easiest to say "we should have signed this player to this contract!" In year one of the deal, and yet nobody is stepping up to the plate to back up their beliefs.
What? Do you have 99% of the posters here on ignore, or something? Of course we are a better team with Marky, Tanev, and Tofu. Benning didn’t sign these three, because he has 20 plus million tied up in toxic (pretty much dead) contracts.
Why do you think Miller said he was shocked, and (even) Bo said he was surprised with our not resigning those three top UFAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA