2020/2021 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd trade disgusting amounts of value to land Seider. Anything other than Pettersson and Hughes would be on the table,

A Hughes-Seider pairing would be insane. Also funny that Detroit could have had it.
2019 draft went:
NJ - Hughes, NYR - Kakko - Chi - Dach, Col - Byram, LA - Turcotte in the top 5 as expected, maybe with Byram and Dach swapping spots.

Based on pure talent, I had expected Det to take Zegras, but they went with Seider.

If Detroit did opt for Zegras, then it would be interesting who Anaheim takes at 9. Would they have taken Seider, Podkolzin, Caulfield, Boldy, York, Soderstrom? All could have been in the top 10 based on rankings.

If Podkolzin was off the board, would the Canucks have taken Seider? Had the size, could play big minutes. Offence, probably not going to be a 0.5 PPG guy.

Reactions: CanuckCity

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
That Winnipeg center depth is disgusting. Scheifele-Dubois-Stastny-Lowry.

I think Dylan Demelo is still on paternity leave, too. That'll be another boost.

The Jets are super fortunate that this PLD thing fell into their laps. They probably wouldn't have been able to make a trade like this otherwise.

Winnipeg has set itself up for a multi-season run as cup contenders if this trade breaks right for them. Other than Wheeler, the entire core is all 27 or under and should stay intact for at least the next 3-4 seasons. It's scary how well this team is set up. If they can add another young top-4 defenseman into the mix, that team is good to go.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The Jets are super fortunate that this PLD thing fell into their laps. They probably wouldn't have been able to make a trade like this otherwise.

Winnipeg has set itself up for a multi-season run as cup contenders if this trade breaks right for them. Other than Wheeler, the entire core is all 27 or under and should stay intact for at least the next 3-4 seasons. It's scary how well this team is set up. If they can add another young top-4 defenseman into the mix, that team is good to go.
Heinola is trending well so they are in great shape.

Perfetti upfront in the mix too.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

If the Canucks season continues to go south, Winnipeg is a team I would try and be selling Edler to at the deadline. No quarantine needed, his wife is from there so they might think they have a shot at resigning him.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Heinola is trending well so they are in great shape.

Perfetti upfront in the mix too.

They definitely have some young players that can potentially add onto the existing core.

Perfetti and Vesalainen up front. Niku and Heinola in the back-end.

If the Canucks season continues to go south, Winnipeg is a team I would try and be selling Edler to at the deadline. No quarantine needed, his wife is from there so they might think they have a shot at resigning him.

Depends on the cost, but I would expect that they want someone younger who they can keep for longer than 1 year and they have the young prospects/picks to make this happen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They definitely have some young players that can potentially add onto the existing core.

Perfetti and Vesalainen up front. Niku and Heinola in the back-end.

Depends on the cost, but I would expect that they want someone younger who they can keep for longer than 1 year and they have the young prospects/picks to make this happen.
Teams rarely acquire guys with term at the tdl. Most teams are not selling good players with term.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Teams rarely acquire guys with term at the tdl. Most teams are not selling good players with term.

Agreed. Like I said, it depends on the cost to get someone like Edler, but I'm Winnipeg, I'm not in a rush to trade a 1st or one of their better prospects for a rental. I'd wait until the off-season to see if there's a better fit that they can hold onto for at least a couple of seasons.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. Like I said, it depends on the cost to get someone like Edler, but I'm Winnipeg, I'm not in a rush to trade a 1st or one of their better prospects for a rental. I'd wait until the off-season to see if there's a better fit that they can hold onto for at least a couple of seasons.
Edler won’t cost a first. Top end price is a 2nd. Knowing Benning he’d prefer a prospect.

Jets, not an old team but Wheeler isn’t getting any younger. And Scheiffle is in year 5 of his 8 year contract. So can’t be kicking your cup runs down the road much longer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Unsurprisingly the NHL comes down hard on a GM not a part of the old boys club

Imagine if he had played 10-15 years in the league though

Pierre LeBrun would be doing interview specials talking about the secrets of his genius

Don't have to look any further than how the whole Rick Tocchet running an illegal sports gambling ring thing was completely swept under the carpet by the league.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like to point this out as often as I can.

So do I. It's crazy how he was somehow an NHL head coach only months after that whole thing, while still on federal probation for it.

The other one was the Andy Van Hellemond betting scandal, where he was essentially taking bribes from other referees in exchange for preferential playoff assignments, in order to cover his gambling debts. Given the scandalous blown call that ended his career, you really have to wonder if a referee with a known gambling problem who was willing to sacrifice his professional integrity for the sake of money to finance that gambling problem would be influencing games. I think it's more likely than not. But again, impressively swept under the rug by the NHL.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imagine if he had played 10-15 years in the league though

Pierre LeBrun would be doing interview specials talking about the secrets of his genius
Get on the wrong side with an owner, and it’s bad news for that executive. Does the league have to be fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad