2020-2021 Around the League Thread - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It's too bad Cuthbert moved to Sportsnet. He would have been the perfect replacement for Doc.

I love Cuthbert. I'm a big CFL fan and always loved when he called those games. It's a rare guy who is equally good at calling multiple sports, but he was just as knowledgeable and produced the same level of excitement when calling both hockey and football games. He would have been a great Doc replacement.

Of the realistic options I think Forslund would be the best choice. I think he actually has a very similar style to Doc in that they both have their own particular mannerisms and ways of describing things. I also just think Forslund is really good at his job. I watched a lot of Carolina games in part to see what all the fuss was about with him, and he lived up to the hype in my view.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

So if the seven Canadian teams make up one division, the league will need to temporarily realign the rest of the league into probably three eight-team divisions.

A scenario that may make sense?

Revamped Pacific: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose and Vegas.

Revamped Central: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

Revamped Atlantic/Metro: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

One way to make this work that players could stomach since they travel throughout an 82-game schedule anyway is to create week- or two-week long road trips to the hub.

The league could have four to six teams at a time in the hub. Then, perhaps every week, rotate a team or two in and out. Those teams would return to their home markets to practice. Inside the hub, there could be two games a day, the idle teams on a given day would practice and teams would play four games a week.

Because of competitive balance, since the Canadian teams look like they’ll only be able to play each other, it’s possible each division in the United States would only play the other teams in its division.

There's going to be no ideal scenario so I'll probably be fine with whatever they decide. Playing a 48-60 game season with games only against teams in your division wouldn't be bad for the Avs. I'd probably get bored of seeing the same teams over and over again but I think the Avs would do well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Imagine playing 12 regular season games against Vegas and then also meeting them in the conference finals.

As brutal as he is at hockey, I feel a guy like Zadorov will be more necessary than ever in a hypothetical season like that.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Imagine playing 12 regular season games against Vegas and then also meeting them in the conference finals.

As brutal as he is at hockey, I feel a guy like Zadorov will be more necessary than ever in a hypothetical season like that.

Yeah, but imagine playing 40-50 games against San Jose, Arizona, Los Angeles, and Anaheim.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

There's going to be no ideal scenario so I'll probably be fine with whatever they decide. Playing a 48-60 game season with games only against teams in your division wouldn't be bad for the Avs. I'd probably get bored of seeing the same teams over and over again but I think the Avs would do well.

It would be very boring. Hopefully shorter regular season then.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Compare the travel schedule of Colorado in the revamped Pacific division, to that of any team in the Atlantic/Metro division.

Such a massive difference if they're only playing division games.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, but imagine playing 40-50 games against San Jose, Arizona, Los Angeles, and Anaheim.

I personally expect LA to be much better this season. Anaheim could be also if Gibson has a bounce-back year. I think California being bad was an aberration, not a trend.

Compare the travel schedule of Colorado in the revamped Pacific division, to that of any team in the Atlantic/Metro division.

Such a massive difference if they're only playing division games.

Russo's article implies hubs (not bubbled) to be a likely scenario. The Avs would probably be playing all their games in somewhere like Anaheim.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Russo's article implies hubs (not bubbled) to be a likely scenario. The Avs would probably be playing all their games in somewhere like Anaheim.

Interesting. That would allow them to do mini bubbles too through January-February if they want, which might be needed.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Barrett Hayton joins Ilves (which means Lynx) in November. Team now includes Välimäki, Thomson, Dostal, Järventie, Arttu Ruotsalainen, and Hayton.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Unfortunately they got one of the best players in the draft in Marco Rossi...

I worry more about Rossi in the big leagues than Lundell. Rossi has a higher ceiling, but Lundell is going to be an elite 2 way center who contends for Selkes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I believed this was talked about through the year, but it is the reason he went in the 4th instead of the 2nd. The burden is on Miller to show he has grown up and changed, but many are quick to permanently throw away a kid for something he did as a 14 year old (and before). It was over 4 years ago and he has had to answer for it to every team he has been on since.

I probably wouldn't have drafted him, but for other reasons outside of this incident that when combined with it, make him questionable. But I don't like totally throwing away an 18 year old kid for something he did at 14.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I believed this was talked about through the year, but it is the reason he went in the 4th instead of the 2nd. The burden is on Miller to show he has grown up and changed, but many are quick to permanently throw away a kid for something he did as a 14 year old (and before). It was over 4 years ago and he has had to answer for it to every team he has been on since.

I probably wouldn't have drafted him, but for other reasons outside of this incident that when combined with it, make him questionable. But I don't like totally throwing away an 18 year old kid for something he did at 14.

The teams aren’t the ones he should have to answer to for it, he needs to actually apologize to the kid he tormented which by all accounts he has not (a court mandated letter notwithstanding which is hardly a real apology).

Kids do do stupid things all the time but what he has done (and been convicted of mind you, not just accused) is beyond the pale even for a stupid kid and is a borderline hate crime.

People do deserve second chances, but they also ought to show some indication that they deserve them and by all accounts he hasn’t remotely done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad