2020-2021 Around the League Thread - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The teams aren’t the ones he should have to answer to for it, he needs to actually apologize to the kid he tormented which by all accounts he has not (a court mandated letter notwithstanding which is hardly a real apology).

Kids do do stupid things all the time but what he has done (and been convicted of mind you, not just accused) is beyond the pale even for a stupid kid and is a borderline hate crime.

People do deserve second chances, but they also ought to show some indication that they deserve them and by all accounts he hasn’t remotely done so.

That is one side of the story, and there is another to it. What Miller did was very wrong, and it has not been handled in the best way possible.. and there are roadblocks in the way. The onus is on Miller to stay on the correct path.

Reactions: ArWKo

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I hope Miller is truly committed to becoming a more tolerant person, but those comments and statements from the Coyotes organization are full of some pretty weak spin.

Feels like they had them ready for months, knowing this would happen. Makes it feel like they're purely designed to make this go away, not to achieve the goals they talked about. The statement from Mitchell isn't much better, as it sounds like a boilerplate statement written by his agent.

I mean this wasn't just some garden variety racism. He beat up a disabled black kid, repeatedly called him the N word at school, and forced him to eat candy wiped in a urinal. And apparently only issued the court ordered written apology, not a personal apology like the other kid involved did.

I'm sure it's hard to talk about this stuff, but at some point I hope it feels like his remorse is a little more genuine.

Reactions: crue7

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
14 is pretty much the limit where kids are still young enough so we can forgive some of the bad things they do. That's borderline though...because 15-16 and it's a completely different story.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I hope Miller is truly committed to becoming a more tolerant person, but those comments and statements from the Coyotes organization are full of some pretty weak spin.

Feels like they had them ready for months, knowing this would happen. Makes it feel like they're purely designed to make this go away, not to achieve the goals they talked about. The statement from Mitchell isn't much better, as it sounds like a boilerplate statement written by his agent.

I mean this wasn't just some garden variety racism. He beat up a disabled black kid, repeatedly called him the N word at school, and forced him to eat candy wiped in a urinal. And apparently only issued the court ordered written apology, not a personal apology like the other kid involved did.

I'm sure it's hard to talk about this stuff, but at some point I hope it feels like his remorse is a little more genuine.

I don’t like to throw shade at a what a 14 year old kid did in the past...but he’s shown little to no remorse. I know I, at the age of 14 would never pick on anyone disabled. Couple that with blatant racism, and I can’t see how that’s not indicative of future behaviour.

I know he’s apologized to GM’s in a mass agent written statement. That’s weak as hell and shows he still doesn’t care. It’s not a good look at all. That poor f***ing guy watching his tormentor get drafted.

Ugh btw, I read that he still didn’t reach out and apologize personally, and that speaks volumes about his character.

Last edited:

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
That’s a terrible story. Really hope he’s learned from it.

Unfortunately, there’s a player on the Avs who continuously bullied a developmentally disabled child while in his teens too. What you do at 14 and what you do as an adult is a completely different story though.

Is this a known thing?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t like to throw shade at a what a 14 year old kid did in the past...but he’s shown little to no remorse. I know I, at the age of 14 would never pick on anyone disabled. Couple that with blatant racism, and I can’t see how that’s not indicative of future behaviour.

I know he’s apologized to GM’s in a mass agent written statement. That’s weak as hell and shows he still doesn’t care. It’s not a good look at all. That poor f***ing guy watching his tormentor get drafted.

Ugh btw, I read that he still didn’t reach out and apologize personally, and that speaks volumes about his character.

Yeah the part about not reaching out personally like the other guy involved did, really stuck with me as well.

If you're genuinely remorseful, you wouldn't avoid that tough conversation. You'd realize you owe it to them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'm really not trying to go to bat for this kid, because again, I wouldn't have drafted him and this situation is part of it.

There is more to the story and more background here that isn't getting run. Miller and his family have gone down the path of keeping their head down and moving forward. You can call it bad PR or the wrong decision or just wrong morally, but that is the path that has been chosen and has gone on for 4 years. The court rep in the case stated that they felt Miller was remorseful, and you can call it the bare minimum, but the letter had to be sent. There had to be proof that it was or the court would have added to Miller's sentence. The case is sealed, but the state of Ohio has signed off on the case to the USHL, at least 5 USHL teams that I know of, the NCAA, and a number of NHL teams. The latter I don't know of how many, but I know over 25 teams interviewed him and there was consent to background checks given.

If Miller is truly a bad egg, he's going to trip up again between now and the NHL. Whether it was Arizona or another team, he was going to get selected in this draft. Just like somebody was going to select Cizikas, Downie, DeAngelo, etc.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Not sure how known it is, but the family of that kid have spoken out on it. I saw a facebook post from the grandfather of the kid a few months ago.

This situation in AZ is actually making me wonder if perhaps they take it further. Again, this player seems like the absolute best person. Whatever happened happened when he was a kid, but I can 100% confirm that the family of this kid have posted on Facebook claiming that a specific Avalanche player bullied their kid.
Link?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I have one. I just refuse to be the one to spread it and possibly have said player pay consequences because of me lol.
You are such a tease.:sarcasm:

I don’t understand your issue with sharing since it’s public domain information. It’s going to come out at some point.

We can guess it’s a player from Atlantic Canada.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm on the side where every white kid is a racist when they grow up, but 14 years old is that cusp where you start to learn/should already know what's deemed wrong, so I don't disagree if somebody has a problem with him. Though, I think a lot over-pandering against this lad is coming from people who don't have a lot of problems in their lives so they have to go out and search for them. If he issues an apology and not a court-dictated one - which it seems he had to - I think that should help him for the future.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm on the side where every white kid is a racist when they grow up, but 14 years old is that cusp where you start to learn/should already know what's deemed wrong, so I don't disagree if somebody has a problem with him. Though, I think a lot over-pandering against this lad is coming from people who don't have a lot of problems in their lives so they have to go out and search for them. If he issues an apology and not a court-dictated one - which it seems he had to - I think that should help him for the future.
Uhhh what?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't want to get into this conversation too much, but this is very far from the truth SEPH. No matter what part of the world you're in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It might just be my own personal experience, but when I was young and had class where Chappelle show was in its prime and since majority of parents don't give a eff about what their kids watch, certain segments were thrown around like crazy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You are such a tease.:sarcasm:

I don’t understand your issue with sharing since it’s public domain information. It’s going to come out at some point.

We can guess it’s a player from Atlantic Canada.
That could be the entire team in a couple of years ;)

But nah it was a post I came across on social media so it could literally be from anywhere.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
14 year olds can be assholes. If they're jocks, especially so. Hell, I still haven't forgiven some of my bullies from that age.

I'm a believer in redemption but it doesn't sound like he's done more than the bare minimum required of him to make it go away so he can have a hockey career, which is a red flag that makes me feel like he only realizes it's wrong because a court told him so and it hurt his career. We'll see if he manages to grow up, I guess.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We all do stupid things as a kid, but most kids know not to be racists. It comes from a basic sense of empathy. Even more so for not making fun of a disability.

Reactions: McMetal

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013

It might just be my own personal experience, but when I was young and had class where Chappelle show was in its prime and since majority of parents don't give a eff about what their kids watch, certain segments were thrown around like crazy.

dont even know where to start lol holy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad