2020-2021 Around the League Thread - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The overreliance on pain killers in hockey certainly isn't news at 6. It's good that they're talking about these things because lots of guys have had problems over the years, especially with opiates, and it often gets swept under the rug.

Toradol isn't an opiate but it can have some pretty sever side effects, including heart attack, stroke, and kidney and liver problems.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Apparently weed edibles are a thing in the bubble.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Leafs fans wanting to ship out Andersen and Johnsson to make room for Pietrangelo is the most Leafs-like move ever. Completely gut their depth, and depend entirely on 4-5 players to win a cup, and lean on a career backup with 64 NHL games.

Reactions: Linds

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For you Americans out there...the CRA = Canadian Revenue Agency (basically it's the Canadian IRS) and when they are after you usually it doesn't end well.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I watched it on TSN's website last night
Thanks.

My takeaways...

1. I feel like with how injured the Avs are and how often they're hurt maybe they operate somewhat more in consideration of how their players are feeling. Dallas on the other hand....

2. I have a hard time feeling bad for these guys. "How is your life as you sit by your infinity pool in your mansion?" I understand there are problems from drugs/overdose etc but these are elite athletes who are smart enough to watch what they put in their body and do the research. I think this is a conversation that needs to be had, and on a human level, yeah I feel bad for you. But not that bad. Not TV show bad.

The real problems are in manufacturing jobs where people (where I work) where people get cut loose while on Paid Leave because the company finds a cause to not pay their workers comp or benefits. Tesla flat out will dig through footage to find a moment an employee didn't properly wear PPE to fire them after injury. These are the people I feel bad for who just needed to get some reprieve from the heat for 10 seconds. Or how about the Military? Guys making 40K a year and dealing with limbs falling off and overdose from pain from that....

Sorry for the rant I just have a hard time feeling bad for guys like Kesler and Quincey. You're a god dam millionaire. Use any of your tons of free time to do research on what is going into your body. I've watched my diet and what I intake since I was 18.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks.

My takeaways...

1. I feel like with how injured the Avs are and how often they're hurt maybe they operate somewhat more in consideration of how their players are feeling. Dallas on the other hand....

2. I have a hard time feeling bad for these guys. "How is your life as you sit by your infinity pool in your mansion?" I understand there are problems from drugs/overdose etc but these are elite athletes who are smart enough to watch what they put in their body and do the research. I think this is a conversation that needs to be had, and on a human level, yeah I feel bad for you. But not that bad. Not TV show bad.

The real problems are in manufacturing jobs where people (where I work) where people get cut loose while on Paid Leave because the company finds a cause to not pay their workers comp or benefits. Tesla flat out will dig through footage to find a moment an employee didn't properly wear PPE to fire them after injury. These are the people I feel bad for who just needed to get some reprieve from the heat for 10 seconds. Or how about the Military? Guys making 40K a year and dealing with limbs falling off and overdose from pain from that....

Sorry for the rant I just have a hard time feeling bad for guys like Kesler and Quincey. You're a god dam millionaire. Use any of your tons of free time to do research on what is going into your body. I've watched my diet and what I intake since I was 18.
Yeah, I get some of that too. As with everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, and both sides share the blame here.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Yeah, I get some of that too. As with everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, and both sides share the blame here.
For sure. On a human level I do feel bad for them. But these are very much real world problems outside of major sports. The win is that it's another voice out there to create discussion.

At the same time I don't feel that bad because you're in the best situation out of 90% of the worlds population to afford the best knowledge and 2nd opinions. What is available to you with that income isn't even comparable to someone making 30-50K. It sucks what happens from it but they need to take some level of responsibility too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Thanks.

My takeaways...

It's not the responsibility of the patient to do medical research. It's the responsibility of the doctors and trainers to properly advise them of the dangers and side effects, before administering pain killers to finish playing a game.

Especially when so many former players moved on from toradol to opiates and became addicted. Marek Svatos died in part due to his addiction to pain killers.

Just because someone is rich, doesn't mean they deserve to suffer physically and mentally, or be shot up with something they know nothing about.

I see your point about people with bigger problem, but just because people have bigger problems, doesn't mean people with lesser problems should shut up about it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Quit making heroes out of players who choose to play through injury. Just stop with that narrative completely. There's nothing "heroic" about it.

Pain killers are a very real issue at virtually all levels of sports. Part of that is a culture that prizes guys "toughing it out" that just needs to be done away with.

Reactions: crue7

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On the flip side of it, if players don't 'tough it out'... the pie will have to start being cut up with more and more pieces. Players in all sports play through a lot, if players are held back from playing through... the NHL will need to expand to 28-30 players on the roster and the contract limit will have to go to 70-75+ to cover the NHL and a single farm team. It is really easy to say don't play through injuries and pain, it is really hard to do that in practice. If it is done, there are consequences to that as well. All players will end up with a significant pay cut... probably to the tune of ~15-20%. The players who simply won't play through anything will have their salary cut further. If the high end players don't play as much, the product gets diluted and it is pretty easy to see that fans don't come out for diluted products as much. Which leads to further pay cuts. There absolutely needs to be changes in how we approach injuries and the treatments (we absolutely need to move away from opiods)... but it isn't as simple as don't play through pain.

Reactions: Balthazar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad