2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Treliving has gone through Hartley, Guletzen, Peters, Ward, and now Sutter, yet what have the Flames really done in the playoffs? How many times can the GM get the coach wrong or not give the coach players needed to win?

the real question is how have the flames changed their game with those coaches? it doesn't seem to matter which system they try, they live and die off the push and the rush. to me giardano like iginla before him defines the team no matter what system they try.

if i was them, i would trade giardano to a contender.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Treliving has gone through Hartley, Guletzen, Peters, Ward, and now Sutter, yet what have the Flames really done in the playoffs? How many times can the GM get the coach wrong or not give the coach players needed to win?
You dont see that very often..a GM cycles through 5 coaches.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
the real question is how have the flames changed their game with those coaches? it doesn't seem to matter which system they try, they live and die off the push and the rush. to me giardano like iginla before him defines the team no matter what system they try.

if i was them, i would trade giardano to a contender.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm are top 6 talent but they have no real gamebreakers.

To me, the single most biggest issue is that Monahan = Daymond Langkow p II. A good 2C being relied on to be the 1C in Calgary. Gio is no longer a #1D as well, and they will be struggling to address that loss as well.

That franchise hasn't been able to find a 1C in forever. They went through Conroy, Langkow, and Jokinen during Iginla's prime years. Oof.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm are top 6 talent but they have no real gamebreakers.

To me, the single most biggest issue is that Monahan = Daymond Langkow p II. A good 2C being relied on to be the 1C in Calgary. Gio is no longer a #1D as well, and they will be struggling to address that loss as well.

That franchise hasn't been able to find a 1C in forever. They went through Conroy, Langkow, and Jokinen during Iginla's prime years. Oof.

two 2nd line centres is not a bad situation. and gaudreau and tkachuk are both drink stirrers who can drive play.

you could question their drafting but i think it's just the way they play hockey. too much reliance on adrenaline.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Did we ever learn what caused the Deangelo/Georgiev fight?

Last I heard on it was when the rumours about it being related to Miller were squashed and it wasn't politically related, but since then we're totally left in the dark. Just Deangelo being pissed that Georgiev had a bad game?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Did we ever learn what caused the Deangelo/Georgiev fight?

Last I heard on it was when the rumours about it being related to Miller were squashed and it wasn't politically related, but since then we're totally left in the dark. Just Deangelo being pissed that Georgiev had a bad game?
I thought it was the OTL against Pittsburgh where they lost the puck due to miscommunication. After the game DeAngelo went and said some not very nice stuff to the goalie, then it went off the rail from there?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I thought it was the OTL against Pittsburgh where they lost the puck due to miscommunication. After the game DeAngelo went and said some not very nice stuff to the goalie, then it went off the rail from there?
I think you're right. Best I could find is that he made a snarky comment to Georgiev on the way into the lockerrom and Georgiev responded by decking him, and that's the extent of it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Apparently they weren't exactly great friends going back to their time in the AHL together. Georgiev is a very socially-conscious guy who has MLK on his mask and Deangelo of course is a racist Captain Qanon.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
looking like the worlds are a great chance for taxi squad guys this year. just a hunch, but i have a feeling most nhl regulars contacted this year are declining the chance to extend their covid lockdown for a few weeks to visit latvia.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

It would be something sad if we ended up sweeping the Flames in the 4 game set somehow.

Green: "It feels good. We challenged ourselves to end the year on a high. This was our playoffs and we swept them. Sutt-sy really kicked it up a notch there and took us to another level."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
looking like the worlds are a great chance for taxi squad guys this year. just a hunch, but i have a feeling most nhl regulars contacted this year are declining the chance to extend their covid lockdown for a few weeks to visit latvia.

Yeah - it's going to be bubble guys and prospects. Braden Schneider and Cole Perfetti have already accepted invites.

If any Canucks go it will be from the Highmore/Lind/Hawryluk crowd. And Dipietro.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Lol Toronto.

If this is their goaltending heading into the playoffs, it's hard to see them getting very far. The North are all pretenders.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Hard to tell if it isn't just Mike Smith acting (he dives more than former Olympic Greg Louganis) but you have to wonder what the reason was for the Coilers starting Smith in a mean nothing game (when they've already clinched a playoff spot).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Hard to tell if it isn't just Mike Smith acting (he dives more than former Olympic Greg Louganis) but you have to wonder what the reason was for the Coilers starting Smith in a mean nothing game (when they've already clinched a playoff spot).

They have another game vs Vancouver. So if they didn’t start him today he would go about a full week or slightly more than that between games.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Damn

Two former Chicago blackhawks players are suing the team for being sexually assaulted during the 2010 Stanley playoffs.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks with 5 more games to play..I'm predicting 50 points..Could be more if the Oilers don't dress or hardly play McD/Drai on Saturday..

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Damn

Two former Chicago blackhawks players are suing the team for being sexually assaulted during the 2010 Stanley playoffs.

wow this is bonkers

A Chicago Blackhawks Player From The 2010 Championship Team Is Accusing A Coach Of Sexual Assault

this of course is the same openly racist logo having piece of shit organization that in the same year had this happen on its watch—

Speaking publicly for the first time since he made the allegation on Twitter, the Nigerian-born Aliu said Peters made the remarks in the AHL’s Rockford Ice Hogs dressing room before a morning skate during the 2009-10 season while the 20-year-old Aliu controlled the team’s music.

“What am I going to say? I was 20 years old and a first-year pro. I was too scared to speak up,” Aliu said. “I beat myself up every day over it.”

“Look at the numbers. I was on pace for 20 goals in my first pro season and I wasn’t getting any power-play or penalty-kill time. Zero special teams,” Aliu said. “I feel like this ruined my career before it started. I don’t think that can be disputed. Then you get sent down to the ECHL, then traded to another organization and it’s an uphill climb from there.”​

Reactions: mossey3535

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

It would be something sad if we ended up sweeping the Flames in the 4 game set somehow.

Green: "It feels good. We challenged ourselves to end the year on a high. This was our playoffs and we swept them. Sutt-sy really kicked it up a notch there and took us to another level."

Might explain his struggles?

And he hasn't been a factor in the last 5 weeks. Him being out isn't some big advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad