2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NYR fans don’t really like Quinn but at this point a toaster would be an upgrade over TG.
I honestly wouldn’t mind hiring all the ex-New York FO and coaching staff
Based on rosters, if the current openings in AZ, NYR, SEA and even if you put Van in there as well, if you were Gallant, I think NYR tops the list. Good young goalies, excellent Dmen in Fox, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, and still have Lundvist coming up. RHD secure, which is the most difficult side to fill out.

Forward group, the young guys are slower to develop, but they came in at 18, so not too surprised that it takes a bit of time.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Based on rosters, if the current openings in AZ, NYR, SEA and even if you put Van in there as well, if you were Gallant, I think NYR tops the list. Good young goalies, excellent Dmen in Fox, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, and still have Lundvist coming up. RHD secure, which is the most difficult side to fill out.

Forward group, the young guys are slower to develop, but they came in at 18, so not too surprised that it takes a bit of time.
Really, that's not what a lot of folks are saying in the If not Benning thread.

I also don't get the constant dismissal of Lafreniere around here. He was snake bitten through the first 15 games, but basically played the last 40 games at half-a-point per game (20 points in 41). All with no training camp. He'll be fine.

Do they trade for Eichel, or do they offersheet Pettersson? Pretty well all they need to be a front line contender IMO.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i wonder how many more dominoes will fall.

it seems likely the burn out factor this season is really high league wide. i don't think playing the same teams so often has been fun, especially for the weaker teams, and i imagine a lot of coaches have lost their rooms or lost their own mojo to varying degrees. even though there are extenuating circumstances that kind of progression can be hard to reverse.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I actually think Montreal is better built for the playoffs and has the goaltender that could steal a series.

Toronto definitely has the edge with skill and offense.

if there were fans in the seats i'd give the edge to montreal. leaf fans are primed to panic and panic is contagious.

but in an empty rink, i'd say the leafs will endure even if montreal starts strong.

too bad domi is not a hab for this series.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do they trade for Eichel, or do they offersheet Pettersson? Pretty well all they need to be a front line contender IMO.
If NHL teams didn't OS guys last season, I don't see that being used this year.

Price for Eichel is going to include Laf, I don't see how it would not. I think goaltender Georgiev would be included as Ukka P-L was drafted in 2017, but only has 24 AHL, 4 NHL, and 23 ECHL games under his belt in the last 2 seasons, so he needs more seasoning in the A and Ullmark is a UFA and not returning. I think these are 2 of the pieces that need to go the other way.

Then I think it will be some combination of:
Rangers 1st round pick in 2021 which is #15 heading into the lottery.

The last piece is the big one. Buffalo should be looking at one of Kakko, Kravstov, Chytil, or Miller the LHD. Of that list, I think the target should be Miller as he's produced the best of the group in the NHL so far. 2 relatively new GM's here in Drury and Adams. See who manages to do better if they make this deal.

A year from now, one of Zib or Strome can't be on the roster. Won't have the cap room after Fox gets paid. So, if the NYR make the Eichel deal, they should look at moving one of those 2 guys to recoup some assets and manage their cap which is going to get tight real fast. Panarin, Trouba, Kreider are getting paid. Eichel is a big cap hit, and Fox will be as well. Rangers hoping whichever young players they don't move from the above list develop and thus have to pay them on their next deal, plus their goalie Shest.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
NYR fans don’t really like Quinn but at this point a toaster would be an upgrade over TG.
I honestly wouldn’t mind hiring all the ex-New York FO and coaching staff
I wouldn't mind draining the entire swamp that is the Canucks front office and hiring a bunch of millennials to play asset manager and to create funny memes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If NHL teams didn't OS guys last season, I don't see that being used this year.

Price for Eichel is going to include Laf, I don't see how it would not. I think goaltender Georgiev would be included as Ukka P-L was drafted in 2017, but only has 24 AHL, 4 NHL, and 23 ECHL games under his belt in the last 2 seasons, so he needs more seasoning in the A and Ullmark is a UFA and not returning. I think these are 2 of the pieces that need to go the other way.

Then I think it will be some combination of:
Rangers 1st round pick in 2021 which is #15 heading into the lottery.

The last piece is the big one. Buffalo should be looking at one of Kakko, Kravstov, Chytil, or Miller the LHD. Of that list, I think the target should be Miller as he's produced the best of the group in the NHL so far. 2 relatively new GM's here in Drury and Adams. See who manages to do better if they make this deal.

A year from now, one of Zib or Strome can't be on the roster. Won't have the cap room after Fox gets paid. So, if the NYR make the Eichel deal, they should look at moving one of those 2 guys to recoup some assets and manage their cap which is going to get tight real fast. Panarin, Trouba, Kreider are getting paid. Eichel is a big cap hit, and Fox will be as well. Rangers hoping whichever young players they don't move from the above list develop and thus have to pay them on their next deal, plus their goalie Shest.
I'd rather give up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Pettersson than what you're suggesting for Eichel. Even 4 1sts, all likely in the 20's, while you've got a dirt cheap deep blue line and star talent up front.

After a season and knowing more about revenues, I don't think offersheets are off the table. They shouldn't be anyways. A good management team should be looking for competitive advantages at every turn.

I'd imagine the Rangers would include Strome in the deal, you don't need Eichel, Zibanejad, and Strome. Strome is clearly a coattail rider and would be the salary going to Buffalo in the short term to accomodate Eichel's large AAV. I don't think they'd have to give up Laf either.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd rather give up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Pettersson than what you're suggesting for Eichel. Even 4 1sts, all likely in the 20's, while you've got a dirt cheap deep blue line and star talent up front.

After a season and knowing more about revenues, I don't think offersheets are off the table. They shouldn't be anyways. A good management team should be looking for competitive advantages at every turn.

I'd imagine the Rangers would include Strome in the deal, you don't need Eichel, Zibanejad, and Strome. Strome is clearly a coattail rider and would be the salary going to Buffalo in the short term to accomodate Eichel's large AAV. I don't think they'd have to give up Laf either.
No point in the Sabres taking back Strome/Zib. They would have to flip them since neither is likely to want to go through a rebuild in Buffalo as both are a year from UFA. Adams should leave that to the Rangers to handle that to recoup assets.

There has simply been nothing in the NHL to suggest that teams are willing to give out OS. To fans, it seems logical to do so, but NHL GMs have not done so. The one Montreal gave Aho, was for a 1, 2, 3, but that was an easy match so long as the Canes Billionaire owner was prepared to pay the big SB, which he was. TB was tight to the cap, and no one handed out one to their guys.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I find it deeply amusing that after all Sutter's "unfinished business" talk that he lead the Flames straight out of a playoff spot. Just chef's kiss.

Calgary and Montreal both shot themselves in the foot with terrible coaching changes this year.

Montreal fired one of the top coaches in the league who had their team dominating at ES because they had a fluke stretch where they lost a bunch of OT games.

Calgary for some reason went back 10 years for a dinosaur.

Both went about how you’d expect.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Calgary and Montreal both shot themselves in the foot with terrible coaching changes this year.

Montreal fired one of the top coaches in the league who had their team dominating at ES because they had a fluke stretch where they lost a bunch of OT games.

Honestly, watching Calgary after the change, they play a better game and I know you and I both like Markstrom, but he couldn't adapt from facing 35+ shots a night to 20-25. Calgary's save% under Sutter is brutal, but it's not because they give up the house. Markstrom struggled this season. You'd think it would be easy, but I think mentally Jacob tries to "make saves" instead of just stopping the puck in those situations because he gets restless. I think he'll adapt.

Calgary went from mid pack in xGA to top 5, same with high danger attempts. Calgary as a team under Sutter (mostly Marky) was the 6th worst Sv% in the show.

Montreal screwed up, they should have just kept Julien, and promoted Burrows. I have a feeling Claude might end up here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

That Montreal firing was inexplicable..a knee-jerk reaction by their GM, when the Habs veered off course a little bit, earlier in the season..At the end of the day though, they made the playoffs..Mission accomplished....which will save the GM's job for another two years.

I thought that the hiring of Sutter would kick the Flames up notch, and they would snatch that last playoff spot from the Habs..wrong...The new coach literally neutered the offence, and had them grinding out low scoring, low event hockey..I think that Sutter, like Torts, is a good coach..but their coaching styles demand certain types of players on their roster (the Flames dont have them).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That Montreal firing was inexplicable..a knee-jerk reaction by their GM, when the Habs veered off course a little bit, earlier in the season..At the end of the day though, they made the playoffs..Mission accomplished....which will save the GM's job for another two years.

I thought that the hiring of Sutter would kick the Flames up notch, and they would snatch that last playoff spot from the Habs..wrong...The new coach literally neutered the offence, and had them grinding out low scoring, low event hockey..I think that Sutter, like Torts, is a good coach..but their coaching styles demand certain types of players on their roster (the Flames dont have them).

It was the strangest coach firing I've ever seen.

Montreal were absolutely dominating at ES to start the season, but had some peripheral weird things happening :

- they lost like 6 OT games in a row, which was obviously an unsustainable fluke.
- their PP was struggling a bit.
- Carey Price was not playing well.

There was nothing wrong with that team or the way they were being coached - and in fact their underlying numbers were top-5 in the NHL - but they panicked and brought in a nobody AHL coach with no NHL experience and things went completely sideways on them.

It should have cost them the playoffs but luckily for them Calgary and Vancouver were screwing up even worse.

Sutter looked finished as a coach when he left LA, like the sport had left him behind. I wasn't surprised that several years later things looked much the same.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

julien has a history of being fired mid-season as a winning coach. i imagine that is because he either loses rooms in dramatic fashion or tells gm's to have a nice day in a way you cannot take back.

hiring sutter was an act of desperation by an unimaginative organization that has built an unimaginative monoculture team that cannot compete in the modern league. they think their problem is top line guys not willing to pay the price. their real problem ever since iginla is that they are caught in a time warp playing iginla era hockey, which was not that successful even then. they only know one way to play.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
julien has a history of being fired mid-season as a winning coach. i imagine that is because he either loses rooms in dramatic fashion or tells gm's to have a nice day in a way you cannot take back.

hiring sutter was an act of desperation by an unimaginative organization that has built an unimaginative monoculture team that cannot compete in the modern league. they think their problem is top line guys not willing to pay the price. their real problem ever since iginla is that they are caught in a time warp playing iginla era hockey, which was not that successful even then. they only know one way to play.
Treliving has gone through Hartley, Guletzen, Peters, Ward, and now Sutter, yet what have the Flames really done in the playoffs? How many times can the GM get the coach wrong or not give the coach players needed to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad