2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I've teetered back and forth on this topic (possibly selfishly) over the years but I think I'm at the point where I'm sick of seeing losers like Benning/Dorion/AnySabresGM get rewarded for being garbage.
Their fans would have no hope without those picks though. All 3 of those GM's have big ownership interference problems as the plausible reason for hanging on to their jobs and continued loserness.

I think superteams are boring so I like the parity measures.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Their fans would have no hope without those picks though. All 3 of those GM's have big ownership interference problems as the plausible reason for hanging on to their jobs and continued loserness.

I think superteams are boring so I like the parity measures.
Parity is fine. It's the 1:1 ratio of reversing the last season's standings that's an issue. It makes it functionally way worse to be a competitive team coming up short than just absolutely sucking, and it ruins the fan experience. So you get these boom-and-bust cycles for teams on the extreme fringes (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa, L.A., etc.) while good-faith middle class teams get repeatedly punished. Unless a team gets terrible injury luck for a year and then the standings are thrown out of whack anyway and the draft rewards don't even reflect the true level of need.

And that's sort of my main complaint: if you're really trying to throw a lifeline to the most helpless teams, use more than just the most recent season as your benchmark, so you get a fairer view of "need" and not just the randomness of a single season as the basis to hand out the top talent in the game.

The whole rest of the world over you have promotion/relegation and a meaningful regular season to make you as a fan be able to cheer on your team in good faith in all circumstances.

Reactions: I am toxic

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ducks with an early goal on the Kings and the teams have traded a goal since. 2-1 Ducks LATE in the first period

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It continues to surprise me how much family members do not know to shut the f*** up when their relative is in a public position.

The funniest will always be Bryan Colangelo's wife (supposedly) ending his entire career.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It continues to surprise me how much family members do not know to shut the f*** up when their relative is in a public position.

The funniest will always be Bryan Colangelo's wife (supposedly) ending his entire career.
Who?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This one isn't really *that* embarrassing. And also really no different from Jim Benning's family members who have defended him on this board.
You mean like from his twin sister, Jethrine?
upload_2021-3-9_9-6-15.png

Reactions: Hit the post

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
In a world where good information is needed in order to make the best decisions, hiding one's bias is a bad thing.

Not only is it dishonest in and of itself, it misleads stakeholders and makes the world worse off.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Debrusk getting scratched tonight.

Perfect target for a Virtanen trade, especially when Boston would fool themselves into Virtanen's toolset.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Personally I think Virtanen is a better player than Debrusk at a lower cap hit.
Debrusk is a proven secondary scoring threat and could easily slot into our second or third line and add some much-needed threat. What does Jake do that brings more value than 3 straight 15 goal seasons and never scoring fewer than 35 points at the NHL level?

Reactions: CanuckCity

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
2 years ago Debrusk scored 27 goals in 68 games. Virtanen's best season was 18 goals...

They largely have a similar contract structure only Debrusk gets a million more.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Personally I think Virtanen is a better player than Debrusk at a lower cap hit.
They are similar type players. One has played on a much better team with better linemates. You might be right, though if Green us never going to play Jake in scoring situations a trade for a player he will might not be a bad thing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Debrusk is a proven secondary scoring threat and could easily slot into our second or third line and add some much-needed threat. What does Jake do that brings more value than 3 straight 15 goal seasons and never scoring fewer than 35 points at the NHL level?

Virtanen has been more productive since the start of last season, is a better two-way player, and makes $1 million less.

If Debrusk was an RFA at the end of this season ... you probably don't qualify him. And the last thing we need is to be taking on extra salary ahead of our cap crunch next year.

Debrusk has 0 ES goals in his last 34 regular season games from top-6 minutes. All in he's 47-5-4-9 -13 since early February 2020 including the bubble. He had a nice run next to David Krejci in 18-19 but right now this is a player cratering horribly, who doesn't bring anything else to the table if he isn't scoring. And Boston has been giving him minutes - it isn't like he's getting the Gaudette treatment.

Reactions: Luckylarry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’d do that trade in a heartbeat, even if it means Jake blossoms into a player that gives his all five games a year.
Debrusk in his first 3 years is what I hoped Jake would be after resetting expections down from E. Kane and his big year of 30 goals. DeBrusk has a $3.6 cap hit and like Jake it's back loaded. Same $1 mill higher than the cap hit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
DeBrusk has a $3.6 cap hit and like Jake it's back loaded. Same $1 mill higher than the cap hit.

Yup. Debrusk requires a QO of almost $5 million in the summer of 2022, for a guy who currently doesn't have an ES goal in his last 34 regular season games. Do not touch.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup. Debrusk requires a QO of almost $5 million in the summer of 2022, for a guy who currently doesn't have an ES goal in his last 34 regular season games. Do not touch.
the rule changed in the return to play so that the QO is now the Cap Hit or is his number too low for that benchmark?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the rule changed in the return to play so that the QO is now the Cap Hit or is his number too low for that benchmark?

I haven't heard of this change and Capfriendly is still basing QOs off the player's last salary.

Ie. sticking with Boston, Brandon Carlo is RFA this summer with a $2.8 million cap hit and a $3.5 million salary, and Capfriendly reports his QO at $3.5 million.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Debrusk has 0 ES goals in his last 34 regular season games from top-6 minutes. All in he's 47-5-4-9 -13 since early February 2020 including the bubble. He had a nice run next to David Krejci in 18-19 but right now this is a player cratering horribly, who doesn't bring anything else to the table if he isn't scoring. And Boston has been giving him minutes - it isn't like he's getting the Gaudette treatment.
Even still Debrusk has 1.14 P/60 this season compared to Jake's 0.46 rating. Chris F-ing Tanev is scoring more in his 5-0n-5 minutes than Jake is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad