2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even still Debrusk has 1.14 P/60 this season compared to Jake's 0.46 rating. Chris F-ing Tanev is scoring more in his 5-0n-5 minutes than Jake is.
Can we afford Debrusk? I don’t think we can. Plus, Jake, when fit, is more effective.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even still Debrusk has 1.14 P/60 this season compared to Jake's 0.46 rating. Chris F-ing Tanev is scoring more in his 5-0n-5 minutes than Jake is.

Virtanen has been getting garbage bottom-6 minutes.

Debrusk has been consistently getting top-6 minutes + PP time and has been absolutely horrific for over a calendar year. And is crap away from the puck if he isn't scoring. 9 points in his last 47 games from Tanner Pearson-type minutes.

And again, this is absolutely not a team that should be even thinking of adding salary to take on an underperforming player project. If we trade Virtanen, we should be targeting prospects/picks, not other teams' garbage.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I had no idea Debrusk had shit the bed like this, yeah stay away Jimmy

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can we afford Debrusk? I don’t think we can. Plus, Jake, when fit, is more effective.
I like Jake more than most, but if he's never going to build on his flashes of good play I'm ready to cut bait. Debrusk is the type of player I'd target as a buy low option but his cap hit is an issue with how "well" our roster is constructed.

Reactions: Luckylarry

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
I just see him as a good candidate for a change of scenery and an upgrade on Virtanen with a higher ceiling. He only has one more year on his contract like Virtanen does so if the deal flops, it's not a big risk long term.

A deal trading Virtanen likely carries risk, but Debrusk is a smarter player than Virtanen so I'd bet on him more.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Virtanen has been getting garbage bottom-6 minutes.

Debrusk has been consistently getting top-6 minutes + PP time and has been absolutely horrific for over a calendar year. And is crap away from the puck if he isn't scoring. 9 points in his last 47 games from Tanner Pearson-type minutes.

And again, this is absolutely not a team that should be even thinking of adding salary to take on an underperforming player project. If we trade Virtanen, we should be targeting prospects/picks, not other teams' garbage.

i think it is a good sign for the nhl that boston was unable to unload debrusk for a tidy profit this offseason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like Jake more than most, but if he's never going to build on his flashes of good play I'm ready to cut bait. Debrusk is the type of player I'd target as a buy low option but his cap hit is an issue with how "well" our roster is constructed.

I just see him as a good candidate for a change of scenery and an upgrade on Virtanen with a higher ceiling. He only has one more year on his contract like Virtanen does so if the deal flops, it's not a big risk long term.

A deal trading Virtanen likely carries risk, but Debrusk is a smarter player than Virtanen so I'd bet on him more.

To be clear - if you're Detroit or Ottawa and you have some space for projects, sure Debrusk might be worth it. Although that $5 million QO in 2022 makes him a guy unlikely to provide value to an organization.

But when you're the Vancouver Canucks and you are in an absolutely comical cap crunch where every dollar counts and we should be doing everything possible to clear salary so we can sign our actual important players and make the key moves we need to make .... investing extra money in a Jake Debrusk redemption project should be an absolute, total non-starter. We cannot afford to be trying on expensive redemption projects who haven't scored an ES goal in almost a year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually like Jake’s game when he’s at a proper weight (under 220) and fit. Fat, unfit Jake is terrible. Slim, fit Jake is an effective player. Trouble is Jake never comes to camp slim and fit. Don’t know what the answer is to resolve that.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I actually like Jake’s game when he’s at a proper weight (under 220) and fit. Fat, unfit Jake is terrible. Slim, fit Jake is an effective player. Trouble is Jake never comes to camp slim and fit. Don’t know what the answer is to resolve that.

Easy. Pay him less.

Less cap hit, and by the times things ramp up towards the end of the season/playoffs, you have an effective player relative to their cap hit, who brings something most other Canucks don't - fear into opposing D, who then cough up the puck all over the place.

tumblr_inline_po834o4AcT1vnlwv4_500.gifv

Reactions: Luckylarry

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
On that note though, here's an open question:

Ignoring rumours of ownership meddling and assuming you have full control, what would you do now if you're the Sabres GM? Frankly they've been awful for a long time yet still have some elite young pieces to potentially build around. Do you burn it all to the ground and rebuild again? Try and compete next season? Do a mini-retool?

Just talking big-picture moves here.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Panthers now up 3-1 on the Blue Jackets. MDZ the famous stanley cup winner with the LOAN goal for the Blue Jackets. Who knew he played there?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hey! Loser Leafs Lose again. Is this their inevitable fall from grace?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Carter Hart is playing worse than Holtby. The shine has come off him, that’s for sure.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Leafs fans really hating on Anderson...Holtby for Andy 1 for 1 swap?
They'll appreciate Anderson more next season when they can't afford him and have to rely on Campbell and whoever else they bring in. Anderson isn't a world beater, but he's been at least a solid middle of the pack starter the whole time he's been with the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad