2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Markstrom chokes the 2-1 lead for the Flames.
I feel like just because of McDavid has amazing speed that goalies get a pass on letting in garbage goals against him. That third goal that McDavid scored great shot but he didn't even need it Marky gave up the whole side of the net on that play.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A Flames loss tonight would have the Canucks/Flames tied for 5th...(Flames would have 2 games in hand).
I'm hearing that they're going with Marky again...b2b.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
"Miracle On Ice" standout center Mark Pavelich died on Friday at Eagle's Nest, a Minnesota residential treatment center dedicated to dealing with mental illness. Cause and manner of death have not been released He was 63.

Why was he in a mental illness treatment center? He was being treated there after having been found incompetent to stand trial by District Judge Michael Cuzzo because he was mentally ill and dangerous. The judge ordered him committed to a state-operated secure treatment facility. This occurred in December, 2019.
He was in court facing 4 felony counts. 2 for assaulting his longtime neighbor and friend with a metal pole because he accused the man of spiking his beer. The other 2 counts were for possession of 2 illegal weapons with altered serial numbers found on his reclusive property.

In recent years family and friends said he had become confused, paranoid, and borderline threatening. It is believed he was suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), caused by repeated blows to the head while playing as a tenacious, undersized forward (listed at 5'8", 170 pounds. His sister is convinced that "all the concussions and the blows to the head he had in the NHL" left him suffering from CTE. Mark is the most kind and gentle person you'd ever know. This is a totally different guy.

What has the NHL or his most famous NHL team, the New York Rangers, had to do with him since the verdict came about. I have heard nothing until this weekend when both the NHL and the New York Rangers have released condolences on his death and have sung his praises for his contributions to USA hockey and the NHL. The fact that they might have had an ability to recognize the game may have contributed to his issues does not show up anywhere.

The NHL is still negligent as to the treatment of NHL players after they leave the game particularly those who have been out of the game for many years before the league even started to take this issue somewhat seriously. The NFL and NHL have done all in their power to not become involved in treatment of players for CTE once they are out of the game and not suffering present signs of the issue. The results of this issue are often very slow and subtle in developing and when the serious reactions are displayed they are far from the game that caused it. Players from those leagues should be required to take a physical and cognitive tests annually and the sport they played should be paying for it with an insurance plan provided to their ex-players specifically for those tests. If a problem is diagnosed the CTE insurance policy should cover the treatment.

You have to recognize that the majority of the guys who played the game a couple decades ago or more did not become millionaires playing the game. Pavelich sold his gold medal for $262,900 in 2015 to provide financial security for his daughter 2 years after the death of his wife to to Pavelich played for 5 years with the New York Rangers beginning in 1981-82 and ending in 1986-87. He had a very successful career for them playing at 1 PPG in his 1st 3 seasons and finishing with 318 Pts in 341 GP.

Teammate Barry Beck blasted both the Rangers and the NHL for how they deal with mental health issues. He also believes the long-term impact of hea injuries played a role in Pavelich's mental health state.

Just a bit of Beck's wrath:
There's a lot of people that could have helped Mark and didn't. They know who they are. Nownot one NHL team willdiscuss CTE or any of their players, staff or employees. After ther CVTE lawsuit the NHL was just happy they didn't have to discuss it anymore. They told teams under no circumstances shall any team discuss CTE the shrinkage of the brain. Not even the stickboy. They don't discuss it because they are cowards. The only thing that matters to them is money. That's it in a nutshell. It's always been that way. Ask the lawyers..yea just money.

No one from the Rangers or USA Hockey contacted his family to offer their support after Pavelich was first arrested, and Beck thinks it's too late at this point to send their condolences, saying that "they missed the boat."

"Both the Rangers and USA Hockey are accountable for Mar's death." Beck wrote. "The NHL has to grow a set of balls and take action."

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said in the past that the "relationship between concussions and the asserted clinical symptoms of CTE remains unknown."

My take here is that Bettman's comment is akin to the same illogical BS used by the tobacco industry to deny smoking was related to the cause of cancer, emphysema, or heart disease or more recently those who claim their are is no conclusive evidence to prove burning fossil fuels has contributed to climate change.

Pavelich's death is sad for many reasons.
Good read BG. Very sad outcome for what sounds like a great guy and a legendary American player.

I agree that the teams need to do more to help aid and prevent sufferers of ailments that were caused by playing the game.

It is important to note that smoke is bad for your lungs and playing a gladiator sport with elbowing hitting fighting and crashes into boards you may not be healthy at 60. This should be relatively easy to understand. It's not like the information and analytical data is not available to make an educated choice.

Almost all jobs have inherent risk. I would risk a lot to make millions per year. As you said though many have not made millions and that's a tough thing. What do you tell Universities and Junior franchises with this in mind? How would they even begin to support something like this financially? I mean some guys play more games in Junior and minor leagues than the NHL and what about owners that no longer exist. Who bears this responsibility and who pays for it?

In my line of work our union has started to support some of the illnesses related to exposures. I would hope that the NHL will continue to improve and do the same. I'm not sure how and to what degree the league and teams need to marry themselves to former employees.

Obviously some players have been poorly looked after and things need to improve. I would hope each organization would have a alumni that would communicate, try to help each other and get the help they need. And ideally they could work collectively with players and ownerships being supportive if financial help is needed or warranted.

I support your position on this matter. I think the issue is if the NHL declares itself as responsible they will get attacked endlessly and financially to degrees they fear and cannot afford.

The game was different then and they are trying to move on in a better way (re head contact). A lot of good initiatives are driven by the NHL and a lot of lives are being positively affected by the programs and volunteer supported charities.

Unfortunately for Pav things haven't come soon enough or been good enough and that's extremely unfortunate. RIP

81QdeoaMqoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Luckylarry

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom for 6x6 eh..
The only one of the Big Three that I wanted back was Toffoli. Being up against the cap and Benning being forced to walk away from long term deals to Tanev and Markstrom will benefit the team long term. Calgary was in a win now mode so I can sort of see their logic. But Treleving looks to have massively miscalculated where the team was at. Those contracts are going to really hurt Calgary a couple of years from now.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
You love Benning more than you love the Canucks.

It's true.
Perhaps we can recognize this as a victory for Benning this sticking with Demko and letting Marky go. So by my calculations that raises Bennings win-loss ratio to 17-112. Not too bad, thats being right almost 20 timed in just 7 years :nod:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Perhaps we can recognize this as a victory for Benning this sticking with Demko and letting Marky go. So by my calculations that raises Bennings win-loss ratio to 17-112. Not too bad, thats being right almost 20 timed in just 7 years :nod:
Kicking Markstrom while he's down is a very anti-Canuck thing to do.

Reactions: PM

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Tanev looked shell shocked last period. His partner, Hanifin, was giving the puck up like it was going outta style.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
powerplays 8-2 technically 9-2 as one was a double minor. Man this is some onesided officiating

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Calgary lol just need one more 30+ year old ex Canuck player to sign to a bad long term contract to squeeze in another first round exit before Gaudreau bolts.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
upload_2021-3-8_9-54-51.png

Reddit thread about who on your team is awful but continues to play for no reason. Gudbranson was the most upvoted response behind the entire preds team.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I can't believe they traded value for both Gudbranson and Stepan. We would have sent them bad, overpaid players for free with a sweetener.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

NHL changed the rule right before we were extremely bad for multiple years, and are now going to change it to be more favourable to the bottom teams right as we become a bubble team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad