2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 2

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Given that the population always splits the vote roughly 50/50, it's also a given that every team is going to have a mix of political opinions, but somehow it's only CBJ and NYR where politics are causing problems. This indicates it's not the politics, it's the specific people and how they're communicating with each other on those teams causing problems.

Watching players request trades and teams break down over things like this is the definition of why politics and work aren't supposed to mix.

Like Marchessault melting down on social media in the middle of a playoff series in summer, agents should do a better job telling these kids to shut their mouths, stay out of the drama and focus on their jobs. You're not supposed to be a celebrity activist while still trying to master your craft, that comes later if at all.

Of course, Deangelo has a record of being a POS since before his draft so these issues may have been long in the making and are just bubbling now.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
tony-deangelo.jpg

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Does a desperate team claim him? The Bluejackets, Blues and Stars seem to be the only playoff teams able to fit his salary.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Tony D is totally going to flex his victimhood complex and turn himself into a martyr over this. Tony D Gofundme coming right up.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
DeAngelo just seems like a guy that will go on to be a nobody and resort to doing alt right podcasts and brand himself as a martyr.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The thing is, fights and punches thrown between teammates aren't necessarily that rare. This is way bigger and goes back a long time. I think this man antagonizes and is disliked by almost everyone he meets. No good player ever had his career end this early just for being an asshole and we may be about to see it.

Reactions: sting101 and Hansen

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The thing is, fights and punches thrown between teammates aren't necessarily that rare. This is way bigger and goes back a long time. I think this man antagonizes and is disliked by almost everyone he meets. No good player ever had his career end this early just for being an asshole and we may be about to see it.

This is true. However it's weird the goalie got involved. Practice fights usually spill over from puck battles, etc.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, it's been a pattern since he was 17 years old and cited multiple times in junior for throwing n-bombs at opposing players and abusing officials. 3 NHL teams by age 21 because nobody wanted the baggage. The embarrassing twitter escapade nor the fight would be enough to end his career by themselves, but he's been on a short rope for a long time and this is probably enough to end him.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It's an entirely different issue and not even the same spectrum, but it's a similar thing to someone like Jake Virtanen who just simply has never shown the maturity to excel in the NHL. That has cost him probably in the 10's of millions of dollars and he has to be aware of that. Who in their right mind would make decisions that are so costly when they so clearly have great abilities and skills.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
This is true. However it's weird the goalie got involved. Practice fights usually spill over from puck battles, etc.
I didn't watch the game, but it sounded like Georgiev made a stupid play 3 on 3 that led to a goal and DeAngelo came after him for it in the tunnel. But since it's clear this is a long time coming I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been targeting certain teammates including Georgiev for a while. There's not much to go on, but we all have instincts about this kind of stuff. He just looks like a borderline psychopathic bully to me.

EDIT: Ranger-adjacent twitter is now full of rumours that a teammate, possibly Chris Kreider, stepped in to defend Georgiev and punched DeAngelo. Apparently Kreider's postgame interview was very curt and short and he was favouring a bruised hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Can’t wait until we hear the story with the true version of events... story I just heard was that DeAngelo went after Georgiev in the tunnel, and Kreider broke it up by KOing DeAngelo :yo:

whoever knocked him out gets the C

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Can’t wait until we hear the story with the true version of events... story I just heard was that DeAngelo went after Georgiev in the tunnel, and Kreider broke it up by KOing DeAngelo :yo:

whoever knocked him out gets the C
Here is Kreider in the postgame (his interview was cut to 15 seconds)

Attachments

• DF665635-B05A-43DA-BB9F-5A3421DD10FD.jpeg
    DF665635-B05A-43DA-BB9F-5A3421DD10FD.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: timw33

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Canes are ridiculous. Skating circles around the Stars for two straight games
Canes have lots of talent, and their coach insists on big boy hockey. They are very good. Reimer even looks decent. So does Gardiner!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Would we put in a claim for DeAngelo?
Very skilled right shot d, and only 25. Is our leadership group mature enough to take on this guy? Would Miller just punch him in the nose?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Would we put in a claim for DeAngelo?
Very skilled right shot d, and only 25. Is our leadership group mature enough to take on this guy? Would Miller just punch him in the nose?

We can't because of the cap. Even if he weren't a basket case, he wouldn't be a good fit. He wouldn't get the offensive oppurtunities because of Hughes. We don't need anymore offensive D-men that can't defend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad