2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 2

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Bennett has been trending downward for a while and hasn't shown anything. I'd rather trade Virtanen for picks.

Virtanen had more goals than Bennett had points last year. Bennett is closer to being out of the league than he is an impact player.

He has 370 nhl games under his belt. He's got more games played than Drouin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and ugghhh

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
No thanks on Bennett. We already have enough overpriced flotsam and jetsam in the Canucks bottom six.

Also, those Oilers jerseys are hideous. Yikes.

Reactions: nucks88

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
No thanks on Bennett. We already have enough overpriced flotsam and jetsam in the Canucks bottom six.

Also, those Oilers jerseys are hideous. Yikes.
I keep thinking its the Flames. There too reddish orange

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Legitimately thought I was watching the Flames and the Jets based on the jersey colours when I turned on the Leafs/Oilers.

There’s some really nice reverse retros out there. These two are not some of them.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Legitimately thought I was watching the Flames and the Jets based on the jersey colours when I turned on the Leafs/Oilers.

There’s some really nice reverse retros out there. These two are not some of them.

orange-based road jerseys need a really sharp black like the flyers for it to work

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
37 save shutout for Markstrom.

You have to be delusional or have ever-so-tiny-a-bit of an agenda to watch this guy the last couple years and then try claiming he isn't an elite goalie based on a 4-game sample size for a new team.
If we wanted the best goalie for this season and the next he'd be the easy choice. But how about years 3 and 4? 5 and 6? Benning gambled on Demko being a legit starter sooner than later and grabbed a solid tandem type goalie as his partner.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we wanted the best goalie for this season and the next he'd be the easy choice. But how about years 3 and 4? 5 and 6? Benning gambled on Demko being a legit starter sooner than later and grabbed a solid tandem type goalie as his partner.

That is a completely different argument than the highly suspicious accounts here which have made multiple posts talking down Markstrom in the last week or two. The guy is a beast.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That is a completely different argument than the highly suspicious accounts here which have made multiple posts talking down Markstrom in the last week or two. The guy is a beast.
Why address a bunch of pests who crawl out of the woodwork for a week, engage in bad faith arguments, and then go back to lurking/their main accounts?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Bennett for Virtanen is one of those deals that makes too much sense (in caveman hockey gm logic) not to happen.

Both the same age, top picks drafted within 2 spots of each other, both have disappointed but are still ok bottom six roleplayers (when motivated), Virtanen has history in Calgary/Bennett could be seen to address the big 3C issue (if you think he can click here)

Personally I don't want it to happen really, Virtanen has more value than Bennett imo and had a bit of a breakout last season, even though he f***ing ruined it and returned to step zero when covid happened and in the playoff bubble (which has continued into this season). His value might have been at its peak at the last deadline

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Bennett for Virtanen is one of those deals that makes too much sense (in caveman hockey gm logic) not to happen.

Both the same age, top picks drafted within 2 spots of each other, both have disappointed but are still ok bottom six roleplayers (when motivated), Virtanen has history in Calgary/Bennett could be seen to address the big 3C issue (if you think he can click here)

Personally I don't want it to happen really, Virtanen has more value than Bennett imo and had a bit of a breakout last season, even though he f***ing ruined it and returned to step zero when covid happened and in the playoff bubble (which has continued into this season). His value might have been at its peak at the last deadline

It doesn't make sense at all for Calgary IMO. Virtanen is a guaranteed cap outlay for next season, Bennett isn't. It would be nuts for them to make that trade.

Virtanen would pass through waivers right now, I'm pretty certain.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It doesn't make sense at all for Calgary IMO. Virtanen is a guaranteed cap outlay for next season, Bennett isn't. It would be nuts for them to make that trade.

Virtanen would pass through waivers right now, I'm pretty certain.
My reasoning isnt reasonable. They would think Virtanen can come back to being a 40p pace player in the hypothetical

is calgarys gm right now smart or dumb? i honestly dont know

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

They're just coming on to shit post and 'win' arguments. Not worth the effort engaging with them as I learned.

Reactions: Indiana

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
bennett and vrtanen contracts are even a match.

not sure i want a guy whose atoi has dropped every season in the league.

Nov 1, 2011
Interesting that Markstrom has only put up a save% over .910 (essentially starter level) twice this season so far...both against us.

He hasn't been great against everybody else so far.

I guess Markstrom was okay tonight.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bizarre..I haven’t seen any posts here that question Markstroms ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad