2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 2

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
One user in particular was making some comments about Markstrom’s ability that were and are poorly founded.
Geez imagine a HF poster disparaging a nhl player. Markstrom was great his last year and a half. Though he broke down with overuse and seemed to need maintenance with Clark. When Miller, Bo. Boeser need contracts in a couple years we will need the space as well. That said would have been ok to sign for 5 years as he is that good, but I am happier that they went with developing Demko as he fits rest of the teams window better.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Geez imagine a HF poster disparaging a nhl player. Markstrom was great his last year and a half. Though he broke down with overuse and seemed to need maintenance with Clark. When Miller, Bo. Boeser need contracts in a couple years we will need the space as well. That said would have been ok to sign for 5 years as he is that good, but I am happier that they went with developing Demko as he fits rest of the teams window better.

If you think I was referring to you - I wasn’t, just to be clear.

And while I agree giving term to goaltenders is risky and I question whether Markstrom will be full value for his entire contract, to say he isn’t a Vezina caliber goaltender right now today is offside, IMO.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
One user in particular was making some comments about Markstrom’s ability that were and are poorly founded.

i have watched markstrom for years. it is fair to question whether you can take his mental game for granted. he has not been elite for long and it took him a long time to get there. that is not a typical pattern for elite goaltenders who tend to show the mental qualities early on. he is, however, a great athletic goalie.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
i have watched markstrom for years. it is fair to question whether you can take his mental game for granted. he has not been elite for long and it took him a long time to get there. that is not a typical pattern for elite goaltenders who tend to show the mental qualities early on. he is, however, a great athletic goalie.

And it’s fine and fair to question his mental game, to question how he’ll hold up over his contract, all of that. But to jump in after a loss in his first half dozen games and try to skewer his save percentage as some sort of imperial proof that he’s not an elite goaltender (again, not you that did this either) is what I’m talking about here.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
In other news;

DeAngelo appears to have sewered himself right out of the Rangers’ organization. All the talent in the world won’t make up for the fact that you’re a complete tool bag asshole.

The fact K’Andre Miller appears to have taken his spot and ran with it is just *chef’s kiss*

What a dirt bag Tony D is

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All he has to do is keep his mouth shut and he likely runs a 50M+ career

Such an entitled and arrogant prick. I have said since before he was drafted he just gives me the creeps in every single interview

It's really hard to see where the line between 'entitled American prep-school douchebag' ends and 'actual sociopath' begins, and there is a whole massive demographic of these guys in that country that doesn't seem to exist in ours to anywhere near the extent.

I met one of these guys at a wedding in California a few years ago and it was like talking to an alien.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
the rangers are such a trainwreck lmao
I don't follow the Rangers closely, but we are so fortunate the culture of community that is the Vancouver Canucks, starting with Griffiths Jr/Quinn, carrying on with Burke, the leadership of the Sedins, even Torts was massive for community work.

I look at Edler, Bo, Brock, Petey, Hughes, Beagle (and sadly at Tanev and Stecher and also Markstrom) and can say I am proud that they represent Vancouver and indeed the entire province of BC.

The list goes on: KB3, Alex, Manny, Hammer, Burr, Naslund, Salo, (sortof)Jovo, Captain Kirk, Courtnalls, Ronning, Lumme, Hedican, Linden (despite how it ended - you know who I'm referring to, Demandred)

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He’ll get another shot. Isn’t the hub bub Dubois wanted out of Columbus because of the Trumpers?

I could see him landing there.

Social media is melting the minds of our youth. It’s sad.

seth jones is their leader. don't think they would get along?

RanOutOfTime

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if this was because of what was happening in his own family or the friends he hung out with when he was young that imprinted on him now.

I agree with everyone else if he stuck to playing hockey and kept his mouth shut he could have had made a crazy ton of money.

Reactions: Indiana

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i actually don't know much about deangelo other than his two recent twitter facepalms.

beyond having reprehensible opinions and expressing them publicly, do we know that he's been a problem player and/or personality on his teams?

i feel like what i read was his benching earlier in the year is because he took a selfish penalty, and since then he's been lapping his team in minuses?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
i actually don't know much about deangelo other than his two recent twitter facepalms.

beyond having reprehensible opinions and expressing them publicly, do we know that he's been a problem player and/or personality on his teams?

i feel like what i read was his benching earlier in the year is because he took a selfish penalty, and since then he's been lapping his team in minuses?
He has used racial slurs on a teammate, gotten in fights with teammates (separate cases), been suspended by multiple leagues for various things such as abuse of officials (in both OHL and NHL it seems), his twitter account prior to the political stuff more recently was also a mess of homophobic slurs and remarks.

He's a f***ing piece of shit and doesn't deserve the privilege of playing in the top league in the world

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Seth Jones is a major Trump supporter and has most of the same world views. They retweet each other a lot.

jeez, you’d think the racial slurs would be a deal breaker

but then i guess if the former president’s behaviour also wasn’t a deal breaker...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad