Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Faith in Dubas based on his previous first draft selections.

Plus he's 6 feet tall ;)

Comparables?

Purely in the offensive zone near the boards and around the net, he's a mini Matthews. They twist and turn on the boards the same way to maintain possession, both have a similar high-speed release and good hands around the net. His game is well suited for the NA game, he seems like someone who will thrive in traffic and chaos.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just another pick, another winger that may or may not be an impact player. I am not sure how this all plays out with the teams structure. I mean, really JT is getting old right, so, okay... look we have this thing called a window and we have a really bad cap distribution. Is this guy going to be trade bait? Start in the NHL sooner than later?

It's so hard to understand what they are doing with this team as of right now. I thought they would make a trade on the floor TBH. Maybe nobody wants to tango.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I have completely lost faith in Dubas, what the F*#$ is this moron doing....

Bad pick.

Another soft Euro who you never know if he will show up or be invisible.
A Kyle Dubas special,fits right in with what we already have.
This GM has got to go.

Probably the same posters crying about the smurf Robertson pick from last year.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Is it true? Is it really true? Harold Ballard can't hurt us anymore?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
THE BEST PART IS WE CAN'T EVEN TRADE THESE DOG SHIT 1 DIMENSIONAL WINGERS FOR HELP ON D BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS 1 DIMENSIONAL WINGERS
f***ing Dubas. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. Just more of the same of what we already have

He is not at all what we already have... hes closer to Hyman than Nylander but has 1st line offensive potential

Reactions: Auston Escobar

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Rodion Amirov - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 30th: "Amirov is simply one of the best two-way players eligible for the 2020 Draft. Despite a lack of strength and size, he reads the ice well in the defensive zone to be in the right areas, block lanes, and apply pressure."
Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 21st: "The strength of Amirov’s game is in his ability to protect the puck and change directions with control. This makes him particularly effective within the offensive zone because I wouldn’t say his straightaway speed is all that high end."
Steve Kourmianos - The Draft Analyst - Aug. 10th: "Amirov split his season between the KHL and the junior-age MHL, and it was during his time in the latter where he proved to be too good for teenage competition."
Chris Peters - ESPN - June 30th: "Despite a lack of production among pros, Amirov has some of the best skill in this draft. He has remarkably fluid puckhandling abilities and a deceptive, quick release on his shot."
Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - June 25th: "Hard-working, skilled player who understands how to play both ends effectively."
Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - June 22nd: "A skilled left wing with speed and a high hockey IQ who can play all situations, the 18-year-old models his game after Toronto Maple Leafs center Auston Matthews and Tampa Bay Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov."
Jeb Biggart - The Hockey Writers - May 11th: He’s shown plenty of promise, playing a 200-foot game despite his smaller frame. He’s poised with and without the puck, has excellent board play in all three zones, and is very elusive in tight spaces."
Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Apr. 8th: "Can impact a game effectively at even strength. Most recent viewings were impressive."
Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 1st: "An impressive two-way winger. Competes for every puck and tends to win thanks to his balance and strong core. Makes the subtle plays that add up. Still searching for that separation speed.
Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 20th: "A skilled left wing with speed and high hockey IQ who can play all situations, he models his game after forwards Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Nikita Kucherov of the Tampa Bay Lightning."
Steve Koumianos - The Draft Analyst - Mar. 18th: "Amriov is an elite stickhandler and is incredibly reliable when entering the opposing zone. He cleans up a lot of mistakes for his teammates and quickly transitions into attack mode. Amirov owns an excellent shot-release combination and fires pucks off the pass as accurately as any forward within his peer group."
Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 6th: "A skilled left wing with speed and hockey IQ who can play in all situations; has 22 points (10 goals, 12 assists) and four power-play goals in 17 games in Russia's junior league."

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Seems like a good pick to me. Talented speedy goal scorer who's not afraid to muck it up in the corners or in front of the net (according to the scouting reports I've spent the last 10 minutes reading). Lots of upside here.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Just another pick, another winger that may or may not be an impact player. I am not sure how this all plays out with the teams structure. I mean, really JT is getting old right, so, okay... look we have this thing called a window and we have a really bad cap distribution. Is this guy going to be trade bait? Start in the NHL sooner than later?

It's so hard to understand what they are doing with this team as of right now. I thought they would make a trade on the floor TBH. Maybe nobody wants to tango.

what if the player they want is a ufa?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You got the detailed scouting report from your viewings?

Our RHD Depth is a joke, the only player in the system who might be something is Liljegren and half of the people on this site and pundits really question what he will be. We have no toughness or somebody who focuses on D and there could Been two choices IMO Schneider (safe but likely more of a 3/4 due to no really offensive upside) and Grans who would have been my pick that may take a bit longer but higher upside. Both really big boys and great skaters.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
unless we start trading some of our skilled forwards for a young rdman or some quality bittom six forwards .
dosent make any sence to me .

start making a team dubas .

You should always draft BPA because then you convert excess BPAs to trade chips with better value than if you selected based on organizational need.

We can address the RD in free agency and, I mean, bottom 6 forwards are basically the candy corn in the pillowcase of free agents. You get tons of them and you have to sift through them to find the stuff you actually want.

Reactions: dirty stanchion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad