Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Let's not act like Kapanen wasn't given the opportunities to be more then a 3rd line winger here. He was, he just proved time after time that he didn't have the ability to think the game at a high enough level to play with our top players.
Nailed it. He was given significant time with top centers here. I hope it works out for him, but I wouldn't count on it working much better in Pittsburgh.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Let's not act like Kapanen wasn't given the opportunities to be more then a 3rd line winger here. He was, he just proved time after time that he didn't have the ability to think the game at a high enough level to play with our top players.
Yea I give him a week with Crosby or Malkin tops. He doesn't see the ice well enough for those guys and the bad angle shots will drive them nuts.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Justin Bourne had a great quote that I wish I could find. It perfectly encapsulated Kapanen. It was something like "He doesnt use his linemates AT ALL, so you might as well just put him on the third line and hope his speed burns a bottom pair defenseman.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
You didnt respond to any of my questions?

For the record...I was gonna say Schmidt too... but realized the person said "best return of the offseason" not who got the best deal of the offseason. Technically Schmidt is the worst return of the offseason.
Halandar was a top prospect for the Pens. If you analyze him as a prospect he's trending even better than Kapanen was, yet you're saying he's nothing special. On top of that, Am,irov looks like a stud.
Sorry, but that package is a heck of a lot for a 3rd liner with 1 40 point season. It just is.

And Schmdit looks like a great trade for Vancouver, only because Vegas handled that AP contract situation very badly. They got screwed by other teams who knew they were desperate to move cap.

Kapanen's problem is he looks so talented and elite when skating, yet completely lacks finish. He WAS given plenty of chances on the 1st line with elite centres.

Reactions: TDotMassive

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Gotta love some of Leaf nation. Kappy signs and it is a great deal by Dubas. Kappy is moved and it is a great deal by Dubas because he cleared that cap space and Kappy is this and Kappy is that and Kappy will always be a 3rd liner with little IQ. Personally I liked Kappy and hope he does well this year but it was time to move him so I have no issues with the trade but I think we are going to miss him more than some of us think.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Gotta love some of Leaf nation. Kappy signs and it is a great deal by Dubas. Kappy is moved and it is a great deal by Dubas because he cleared that cap space and Kappy is this and Kappy is that and Kappy will always be a 3rd liner with little IQ. Personally I liked Kappy and hope he does well this year but it was time to move him so I have no issues with the trade but I think we are going to miss him more than some of us think.
It makes more sense moving a Kapanen and being pleased with it rather than the insane "Trade Mitch Marner and William Nylander" takes.
Kapanen is a supporting player. NOt a core piece.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Man, Amirov looks so composed and dynamic with the puck on his stick. He looks like he was born with it there. Elusive, smart, high motor, wicked shot, he looks like the real deal. Can't wait to see how he stacks up at the WJC. I'm totally fine if he signs for two more years in Russia.

I don't think those are opposing narratives. Kappy's contract was a great deal. $3.5m is a good contract for a 20 goal scoring 3rd liner who's terrific on the PK and has a knack for clutch goals. Sure, the shine came off him this year and we stopped hoping for more, hence the "always a 3rd liner" comments, but the contract was still good value for the player he actually is.

For what it's worth, I think Kapanen has been handled fantastically by the Leafs org from start to finish. He was brought along slowly, spending two and a half years on the Marlies, getting a few tastes of NHL action until he was ready for full time. No rushing, just rock solid prospect development. He cut his teeth on the lower lines and then was pushed higher into the lineup as he earned minutes, found to not fit there and then largely settled in as the impact third liner that he plays best as. He proved himself a good player, got a good contract, and then when the pinch got too tight was sold for a sky-high price. Really, if there's a player that we can point at and say, "we should do that with our guys" it's Kapanen. Leaving the GM out of it entirely, I think Kappy was treated extremely well by the org and ended up rewarding us handsomely in the end.

And I absolutely think we're going to miss him. Maybe we'll get him back some day and he'll score some more golden goals for us.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Halandar was a top prospect for the Pens. If you analyze him as a prospect he's trending even better than Kapanen was, yet you're saying he's nothing special. On top of that, Am,irov looks like a stud.
Sorry, but that package is a heck of a lot for a 3rd liner with 1 40 point season. It just is.

And Schmdit looks like a great trade for Vancouver, only because Vegas handled that AP contract situation very badly. They got screwed by other teams who knew they were desperate to move cap.

Kapanen's problem is he looks so talented and elite when skating, yet completely lacks finish. He WAS given plenty of chances on the 1st line with elite centres.

Being a top prospect for the Pens (think they had him #5) is not saying much when you consider their prospect pool is a complete disaster, and possibly at the very bottom of the entire league.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Being a top prospect for the Pens (think they had him #5) is not saying much when you consider their prospect pool is a complete disaster, and possibly at the very bottom of the entire league.

I believe I read that he would have been ranked 2nd if not for his injury . But your point about their weak pipeline is legit

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Not gonna lie didnt know much about the kid when he was drafted but now its clear to me hes a homerun pick. Tarasenko went around 15 as well and i think this kid could be that good. Hes a different style but his hands look very smooth and hes a terrific skater with good size. Hes very under control with the puck and good without it...He can shoot and pass i think he ends up being a top 6 winger as soon as he gets to the league.

Reactions: weems

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I believe I read that he would have been ranked 2nd if not for his injury . But your point about their weak pipeline is legit

Possibly.

However, even our rankings here on the Leafs board (he's at #6) I don't agree with. Personally I'd have him at #9, behind Hirvonen, Anderson and possibly Korshkov.

That doesn't mean I don't like the trade, I do, I just fail to see the upside of Hallander at the moment.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Possibly.

However, even our rankings here on the Leafs board (he's at #6) I don't agree with. Personally I'd have him at #9, behind Hirvonen, Anderson and possibly Korshkov.

That doesn't mean I don't like the trade, I do, I just fail to see the upside of Hallander at the moment.

Id have him behind Hirvonen but ahead of the other 2. Upside plus the fact he could be a centre weighing in his favor.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Amirov signing a 2 year contract in Russia is a no brainer. I'm sure within that contract there will be an out clause if he were to make the Leafs which I think will be sooner than later.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas hit a homerun with this trade and draft pick. Getting Hallander who should be a nice supporting piece on this team is good, and getting a big piece like Amirov is just fantastic work.
The trade of the off season by Dubas.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

I understand that. Pens prospect pool is horible. The previous best first rounder they had picked was Kapanen himself. That said, he's still decent and trending like Kapanen was as prospect. And he's not the main piece anyways, it's obviously Amirov.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I understand that. Pens prospect pool is horible. The previous best first rounder they had picked was Kapanen himself. That said, he's still decent and trending like Kapanen was as prospect. And he's not the main piece anyways, it's obviously Amirov.

I don't think he's trending all that similar to Kapanen. At this point of Kaps development, he went PPG in the AHL and made his NHL debut.

While points aren't everything, and it won't be Hallanders calling card, he's trended downwards in the SHL for going on 2 years now. Not something you like to see considering how familiar he is with the league at this point.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I truly think people overrate Kapanen because of his skating being so elite, they think "there HAS to be more there" when in reality he was given every opportunity. It's rumoured both Tavares & Matthews both requested not to play with him, and it's really hard to blame them with his horrible vision and passing.

Production-wise it will be hard to replace a guy that can put up 40 points on the 3rd line, don't get me wrong. His impact though was barely above average in 2018-19 (+ driving offense, - defensive play), and actually quite horrible in 2019-20 (-- offense, -- defense), and really the 2018-19 season looks more like "best case scenario" than "likely outcome" going forward. I doubt he'll be as bad he was this past season, but I think Dubas sold him at the right time, regardless of how much I like him and believe there is something more with him.

To put how bad his season was into context, of the 157 forwards to play 800 5v5 minutes last season his overall rel.xG/60 impact ranked..... 155th. His closest comparables?
Evgeny Kuznetsov (guy always has horrible impacts, but strong production)
Dustin Brown
Miles Wood
Chris Kreider (only negative impact season of his ENTIRE career, I was shocked to see him even close to here)

If you want to expand the search to 500 minutes there are 329 forwards involved, he ranks 312th. The closest guys are:
Frederick Gauthier, Robby Fabbri, Melker Karlsson, Dillon Dube, Jay Beagle, Kyle Turris, Luke Kunin, Nate Thompson, Sean Kuraly, Dustin Brown, Michael Dal Cole.

I'm sad to see Kapanen go as he was one of my favourites, but I'm pretty confident we'll get better play out of 41 year old Thornton, or Vesey, or even Simmonds.

The deal Dubas got for him even taking into his potential to bounce back I think was pretty much a steal. Hallander is absolutely crushing the SHL but the production hasn't come this season, and Amirov is looking like his floor (at least imo) is Kapanen.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
I truly think people overrate Kapanen because of his skating being so elite, they think "there HAS to be more there" when in reality he was given every opportunity. It's rumoured both Tavares & Matthews both requested not to play with him, and it's really hard to blame them with his horrible vision and passing.

Production-wise it will be hard to replace a guy that can put up 40 points on the 3rd line, don't get me wrong. His impact though was barely above average in 2018-19 (+ driving offense, - defensive play), and actually quite horrible in 2019-20 (-- offense, -- defense), and really the 2018-19 season looks more like "best case scenario" than "likely outcome" going forward. I doubt he'll be as bad he was this past season, but I think Dubas sold him at the right time, regardless of how much I like him and believe there is something more with him.

To put how bad his season was into context, of the 157 forwards to play 800 5v5 minutes last season his overall rel.xG/60 impact ranked..... 155th. His closest comparables?
Evgeny Kuznetsov (guy always has horrible impacts, but strong production)
Dustin Brown
Miles Wood
Chris Kreider (only negative impact season of his ENTIRE career, I was shocked to see him even close to here)

If you want to expand the search to 500 minutes there are 329 forwards involved, he ranks 312th. The closest guys are:
Frederick Gauthier, Robby Fabbri, Melker Karlsson, Dillon Dube, Jay Beagle, Kyle Turris, Luke Kunin, Nate Thompson, Sean Kuraly, Dustin Brown, Michael Dal Cole.

I'm sad to see Kapanen go as he was one of my favourites, but I'm pretty confident we'll get better play out of 41 year old Thornton, or Vesey, or even Simmonds.

The deal Dubas got for him even taking into his potential to bounce back I think was pretty much a steal. Hallander is absolutely crushing the SHL but the production hasn't come this season, and Amirov is looking like his floor (at least imo) is Kapanen.
Can you explain how he is absolutely crushing the SHL when his production looks so terrible???

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think he's trending all that similar to Kapanen. At this point of Kaps development, he went PPG in the AHL and made his NHL debut.

While points aren't everything, and it won't be Hallanders calling card, he's trended downwards in the SHL for going on 2 years now. Not something you like to see considering how familiar he is with the league at this point.

Can you explain how he is absolutely crushing the SHL when his production looks so terrible???

Filip Hallander (19)Total
GP27
Points14
rel.CF%4.5%
rel.FF%4.5%
ATOI15:50
OZS-
oiSH%10.8%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Filip Hallander (20)Total
GP15
Points6
rel.CF%6.6%
rel.FF%4.0%
ATOI15:49
OZS-
oiSH%7.1%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think you're making this into something that it's not. Regardless of his production decreasing (0.51 PPG to 0.4 PPG) his play driving has increased in arguably the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world and a 2 point game would get him basically back to last years numbers. You may be able to blame the entire production drop on his oiSH%, but if you ask me, it seems more like he's just not one of the last 3 people to touch the puck this season. Great things happen when Hallander's on the ice, and like I said in the prospect thread literally yesterday: at the very worst he looks like he's going to be a guy who drives play the right direction but can never get over 3rd or 4th line production in the NHL. Still an extremely valuable player. Let's also remember, he's only 20 years old. He's doing the right things, the production still has a chance to come (and points are so, so, overrated).

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Filip Hallander (19)Total
GP27
Points14
rel.CF%4.5%
rel.FF%4.5%
ATOI15:50
OZS-
oiSH%10.8%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Filip Hallander (20)Total
GP15
Points6
rel.CF%6.6%
rel.FF%4.0%
ATOI15:49
OZS-
oiSH%7.1%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think you're making this into something that it's not. Regardless of his production decreasing (0.51 PPG to 0.4 PPG) his play driving has increased in arguably the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world and a 2 point game would get him basically back to last years numbers. You may be able to blame the entire production drop on his oiSH%, but if you ask me, it seems more like he's just not one of the last 3 people to touch the puck this season. Great things happen when Hallander's on the ice, and like I said in the prospect thread literally yesterday: at the very worst he looks like he's going to be a guy who drives play the right direction but can never get over 3rd or 4th line production in the NHL. Still an extremely valuable player. Let's also remember, he's only 20 years old. He's doing the right things, the production still has a chance to come (and points are so, so, overrated).
At the end of the day though, NHL calibre prospects tend to be good in their leagues that their talent level does manifest in production. And even if he matched his production from last year it wouldn't be impressive because at his age, we should be expecting an upwards trend. Having a 6.6% rel CF in an inferior league is not enough to say a prospect is crushing it, or that he's a guaranteed NHLer at WORST (most prospects never make the show). Now, for the sake of our team, I hope you're right.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't think many people actually have high expectations for Hallander. Ideally he can become a good 3rd line center for us, which doesn't necessarily mean he needs to be crushing the SHL as a 20 year old...

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
At the end of the day though, NHL calibre prospects tend to be good in their leagues that their talent level does manifest in production. And even if he matched his production from last year it wouldn't be impressive because at his age, we should be expecting an upwards trend. Having a 6.6% rel CF in an inferior league is not enough to say a prospect is crushing it, or that he's a guaranteed NHLer at WORST (most prospects never make the show). Now, for the sake of our team, I hope you're right.

I just don't think production is the be all end all at the end of the day. Production is nice, and it's something we expect from prospects we believe will make the NHL, but I think it doesn't take anything into context, especially with a guy like Hallander:

a) He's on a good team playing the 6th most minutes for forwards/game and 8th most PP minutes/game including defenseman. He doesn't play on the top-PP unit which will hurt anybody's overall production.
b) His team is fairly low scoring as is. The most points on the team are two defenseman that lead the team with a 0.87 ppg and 0.75 ppg. After watching a bunch of games you can see there is no "star" player like there is on Leksand or Skelleftea that is carrying the other players production.
c) his play driving is very good. He's on the 6th best CF% and 7th best FF% team. He's leading his entire team in CF% and 4th in FF%. When he's on the ice the puck goes the right direction consistently. Arguably a better play driver than anybody else on a playoff team in the SHL.
d) he's 20. I'd be far more worried about his future in NA if he was an empty calorie scorer (putting up points, horrible at driving play) than what he is now because it's clear Dubas is attempting to get rid of those types (Kapanen/Johnsson) and keeping the latter (Engvall). The production will definitely affect his overall ceiling, but even now his 6 points rank him 96th among forwards in the SHL. If you subscribe to the fact each team has three 1st line players, three 2nd line players, etc his production would be considered "2nd line".

EDIT: 3rd line production lmao.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Leafs fans like me did say all that. Kappy had shown potential. So leafs fans were raving about him. He's still a solid player but not the player Leafs need anymore.

We have plenty of skaters, we needed to clear cap and add size

Kappy was given every opportunity to succeed. Played with Matthews, Tavares, PP and PK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad