Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As far as Amirov is concerned, I like him as a selection for TO, he has good to great upside and he's already showing a desire to be a well rounded player, not just all offense. This is the type of player that probably will end up a Leaf even if he doesn't realize the potential we hope for. Talent and character wrapped up in one player, a Hossa clone perhaps, great selection.
But I thought you said that KK returned nothing?

Whoops, can't keep track of yourself, can you?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Ok im sorry, Dougie Hamilton, Brandon Carlo both taken within the top 45. I can go on if you like (and Parayko was a 3rd rounder) but my feeling is Dubas wouldn't take a player like that inside the top 5 rounds regardless, that's my point. I guess the point your making is theres no reason to draft a big potential NHL d man in the first 3 rounds period, got it....

On the Steve Dangle podcast Steve just mentioned that he texted Dubas one day back in 2011 and he said Dougie would be one of, if not the best player in the draft that year. I'll try to find the episode but it was a recent one.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
On the Steve Dangle podcast Steve just mentioned that he texted Dubas one day back in 2011 and he said Dougie would be one of, if not the best player in the draft that year. I'll try to find the episode but it was a recent one.
I listened to this one as well. A cool anecdote from Steve.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Ok im sorry, Dougie Hamilton, Brandon Carlo both taken within the top 45. I can go on if you like (and Parayko was a 3rd rounder) but my feeling is Dubas wouldn't take a player like that inside the top 5 rounds regardless, that's my point. I guess the point your making is theres no reason to draft a big potential NHL d man in the first 3 rounds period, got it....

i suppose if someones view of player evaluation was so simple that it considers only size and position, that this would be an inevitable post for them to author about dubas at some point.

thankfully dubas also highly appreciates iq, compete, work ethic, skill which is why we drafted good potential players like amirov, and why our prospect pool is as good as it is considering it is full of players being drafted out of the top 10

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Leafs have constantly gotten boxed out of puck battles. I think Dubas has done his best to address it. Looking forward to the year. (That is called physicality and Strength) Toronto is NOT tough on pucks. Easy to play against. Teams that are easy to play against are easier to beat.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs have constantly gotten boxed out of puck battles. I think Dubas has done his best to address it. Looking forward to the year. (That is called physicality and Strength) Toronto is NOT tough on pucks. Easy to play against. Teams that are easy to play against are easier to beat.

There are so many different interpretations to being "tough to play against".

Simmonds is a guy known for combining his skill with his physicality, even though he has not really been able to translate that into production. Bogosian is similar, except he is on defense.

Vesey and Barabanov are actually not guys who will run people through boards all that often, but similarly to Hyman, Moore, and Timashov (although Moore and Timashov did both rack up quite a few hits, even if they were not huge ones due to their size), they are able to leverage their bodies to win puck battles. Winning puck battles is as much about IQ and how to get leverage as it is about strength and size. The Leafs' issue was as much about not having guys who would put in that work as it was not having the size, hence why they added more guys similar to Hyman.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
But I thought you said that KK returned nothing?

Whoops, can't keep track of yourself, can you?

At this point we have nothing for KK, 2 prospects that may never be NHL worthy is nothing, Amirov might not even consider entering the NHL until after TO's window of contention has ended. I understand he is mulling over a 2 year contract offer from his team in the KHL right now. TO's contention clock is ticking.

TO also got Hallander in that trade who is having a rocky start to this year, according to The Hockey News he was Pitt's 3rd best prospect in a shallow pool.

Rodrigues wasn't resigned by TO and Warsofsky is probably/maybe going to end up on the Marlies.

Normally GMs come away from a draft with something outlandish like, we didn't think he'd be available so low in this draft, we don't hear that from anyone in the Leaf organisation.

Right now what we have from the trade is hope but nothing tangible.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

Speak for yourself.

Right now we had additional cap space which allowed us to address multiple spots (also weaknesses) in the roster, as well as two very, very good prospects who will be able to join us in a few years and help the team on cheap ELC contracts, so our window can stay open even longer. Not to mention Amirov has the potential to replace someone out of the big 4 in the long run. Yes, he is that talented.

Instead of
Kapanen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Cant disagree with that.
I've always commented on the fact that teams dont worry about playing us.....
We have 2 x 1st lines that should give teams fits.. and I can agree , alot comes down to not being anything more than skilled.
Think all of our additions address alot of this

Reactions: TorMapleJays

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At this point we have nothing for KK, 2 prospects that may never be NHL worthy is nothing, Amirov might not even consider entering the NHL until after TO's window of contention has ended. I understand he is mulling over a 2 year contract offer from his team in the KHL right now. TO's contention clock is ticking.

TO also got Hallander in that trade who is having a rocky start to this year, according to The Hockey News he was Pitt's 3rd best prospect in a shallow pool.

Rodrigues wasn't resigned by TO and Warsofsky is probably/maybe going to end up on the Marlies.

Normally GMs come away from a draft with something outlandish like, we didn't think he'd be available so low in this draft, we don't hear that from anyone in the Leaf organisation.

But you are wrong, while it is true that Amirov and Hallinder are not helping today, Trading Kapanen gave them the space to sign Brodie and Bogosian and they NEEDED Brodie and Bogosian, you can't have Martin Marincin playing he can't be the 7th guy that doesn't work we know that we have seen it.

Also prospects are trade assets who is to say Amirov and Hallinder won't be assets to acquire a significant piece down the road like Durzi and Grunstrom were to used to acquire Muzzin, not every prospect helps on the ice, some are trade pieces.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Plus the cap space, which was used to shore up the D. Very tangible.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Amirov looks like a total star with the puck, which is awesome when you think about the fact that his play off the puck was a big part of his intrigue.

He’s clearly one of Salvat’s most skilled players. I’m not sure what more he has to do for the Salvat coach to make him a regular in the top 9, or at the very least a constant in the top 12.

Today should be his last game before he leaves for the WJC camp tomorrow, I’d assume.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But you are wrong, while it is true that Amirov and Hallinder are not helping today, Trading Kapanen gave them the space to sign Brodie and Bogosian and they NEEDED Brodie and Bogosian, you can't have Martin Marincin playing he can't be the 7th guy that doesn't work we know that we have seen it.

Also prospects are trade assets who is to say Amirov and Hallinder won't be assets to acquire a significant piece down the road like Durzi and Grunstrom were to used to acquire Muzzin, not every prospect helps on the ice, some are trade pieces.

I thought letting Barrie ($2.75 mil) and Ceci ($4.5 mil) [= $7.25 mil combined] walk as UFAs and then signing TJ Brodie ($5 mil) & Bogosian ($1 mil) and Lehtonen ($925k) [ =$6.925 mil combined] as UFAs, because you can't have Martin Marincin playing, he can't be the 7th guy that doesn't work we know that we have seen it.

The Kapanen trade had very little to do with shoring up the defense, as the money/cap space to do so was available by simply letting last years right side Dmen walk, and replacing them with 3 different dmen this year via UFA. So this trade wasn't required for that purpose as the above Dmen departures vs new Dmen arrivals verifies via cap space.

The Kapanen trade was mostly about getting a 1st round pick back (#15OA Amirov) , because the Leafs dealt their own 1st #13OA (Seth Jarvis) to dump Marleau. This trade mainly prevented the depleting of the prospect pool by offsetting a previous trade that mortgaged the future for cap space. Amirov and Hallinder hopefully become something of value to the Leafs down the road as you've suggested as potential outcomes.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
It's not bad but it's not fantastic.

The NYR have a fantastic prospect pool.
Yes because they won a lottery and picked 2n d overall the year prior.
See the big picture here. NO team has depth like this in their system without any high picks. Since Dubas took over there's been a massieveupswing in the prospect pool.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I thought letting Barrie ($2.75 mil) and Ceci ($4.5 mil) [= $7.25 mil combined] walk as UFAs and then signing TJ Brodie ($5 mil) & Bogosian ($1 mil) and Lehtonen ($925k) [ =$6.925 mil combined] as UFAs, because you can't have Martin Marincin playing, he can't be the 7th guy that doesn't work we know that we have seen it.

The Kapanen trade had very little to do shoring up the defense, as the money/cap space to do so was available by simply letting last years right side Dmen walk, and replacing them with 3 different dmen this year via UFA. So this trade wasn't required for that purpose as the above Dmen departures vs new Dmen arrivals verifies via cap space.

The Kapanen trade was mostly about getting a 1st round pick back (#15OA Amirov) , because the Leafs dealt their own 1st #13OA (Seth Jarvis) to dump Marleau. This trade mainly prevented the depleting of the prospect pool by offsetting a previous trade that mortgaged the future for cap space. Amirov and Hallinder hopefully become something of value to the Leafs down the road as you've suggested.

And of course that 1st rounder for Marleau was because of that horrific Marleau deal Lou signed. Worse than any deal Dubas has ever signed by far. And we probably wouldn't have taken Jarvis. ZAitsev and Marleau deals put you in cap hell, not giving big deals to early 20's superstars.

I can't help but notice you add up every penny on deals signed by Dubas yet never do that for Lou deals. 10.8 combined for Zaitsev and Marleau is the same as Marner's cap hit, yet it's the Marner deal that is so bad. Marner is signed in his 22-28 years. Marleau was signed 38-40 years. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Joe Thornton at 41 for 700K can be better this year than Marleau was in his final year here for 6.25.
Never. ever overpay for aging supporting talent. Your hero Lou just learned that. The awful Komorov deal just cost him Toews for a subpar return.
And yes, Islanders did "Win rounds". When's the parade and banner presentation?

Dubas just paid 3.1 COMBINED for Thornton, Simmonds and Vesey. Just fantastic value.

And Kapanen still wouldn't have been traded unless Rutherford offered a crazy good package Kapanen was not worth. Fantastic trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad