Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And of course that 1st rounder for Marleau was because of that horrific Marleau deal Lou signed. Worse than any deal Dubas has ever signed by far. And we probably wouldn't have taken Jarvis. ZAitsev and Marleau deals put you in cap hell, not giving big deals to early 20's superstars.

I can't help but notice you ass up every penny on deals signed by Dubas yet never do that for Lou deals.

And Kapanen still wouldn't have been traded unless Rutherford offered a crazy good package Kapanen was not worth. Fantastic trade.

I see no reason JR would not have still offered what he did if the Leafs had kept the 13th pick, the only difference being the Leafs would have the 13th and 15th pick.

There is no reason to think Kapanen would not be traded regardless of the Leafs keeping their original pick

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I see no reason JR would not have still offered what he did if the Leafs had kept the 13th pick, the only difference being the Leafs would have the 13th and 15th pick.

There is no reason to think Kapanen would not be traded regardless of the Leafs keeping their original pick

I actually never said it was because of having no 1st rounder. I agree with you.
What did change, and not mentioned by anyone is the 1.8 in actual Cash due to Kapanen next year. IMO< that was a factor which wouldn't have existed a year ago. Pens are one of the teams rumoured to have financial concerns. People said 3.2 was a "Good" cap hit, but his cash was 1.8. With COVID 19 losses that's huge. Pens have a guy for 1.8 on their first line to play with Sid. Those signing bonuses actually make Leafs players more valuable now. Their actual cash owed is very low. Marner himself is about to turn into a 7.2 per player in cash.
The issue comes down to that Marleau deal being the biggest disaster of a contract Dubas or Lou ever signed.

Reactions: teddygmr

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
There are so many different interpretations to being "tough to play against".

Simmonds is a guy known for combining his skill with his physicality, even though he has not really been able to translate that into production. Bogosian is similar, except he is on defense.

Vesey and Barabanov are actually not guys who will run people through boards all that often, but similarly to Hyman, Moore, and Timashov (although Moore and Timashov did both rack up quite a few hits, even if they were not huge ones due to their size), they are able to leverage their bodies to win puck battles. Winning puck battles is as much about IQ and how to get leverage as it is about strength and size. The Leafs' issue was as much about not having guys who would put in that work as it was not having the size, hence why they added more guys similar to Hyman.
Not sure how you can criticize Simmonds given he had some really good seasons production wise.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Plus the cap space, which was used to shore up the D. Very tangible.

This was a case of TO(Dube) overpaying for 2 players that had 1 good year on their resume, $3.5 mil. for 3rd liners was way too rich. It made them untradeable for a decent return Covid or not.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This was a case of TO(Dube) overpaying for 2 players that had 1 good year on their resume, $3.5 mil. for 3rd liners was way too rich. It made them untradeable for a decent return Covid or not.
Are you arguing Kapanen wasn't traded for a decent return?

Are you doing that in a Rodion Amirov prospect thread?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

This reads like someone, who has no idea of what comparable contracts are, or what players in this range of production get paid. Besides, Kapanen got a great return.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm sorry, I don't speak nonsense.

Again, no matter how good a player is, how do you get great value if the contract isn't great? This is not a rocket science of a concept to grasp, but.....well, here we are I guess.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

Given the return for Kapanen, Rutherford obviously disdagrees with you.

Nate Schmidt, a top pair D in his prime got traded for a 3rd rounder. Kapanen went for Amoirov and Halandar...

Kapanen's salary this year was 1.8 milion. That's great.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Kapanen got probably the best return of the off season. Even with out covid that was a better return than I thought we would get.

hot donut

Oct 7, 2020
Amirov dealing with his not-so-successful shootout attempt from the SKA game with a little bit of humor.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kapanen got probably the best return of the off season. Even with out covid that was a better return than I thought we would get.

20 plus goals and over 40 points thr season before, while never having a long term top six role.

Sure he got a good return, but he is only 24 and is one of the best skaters in the league. I dont think he gets traded for less than a 1st myself. Pittsburgh needs cheap quality that are ready now. Their core of Crosby, Malkin and Letang cannot wait 3-5 years for a 15th overall pick to possible turn into a complete player.

Good deal for sure especially when considering the drafted player "now"... but I get why Pittsburgh paid the price they did. I know Carolina was previously interested in Kapanen, so who knows what the bidding was on Kaps when Pittsburgh pulled the trigger.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
This is absurd on so many levels but we could start with the suggestion that the two untradeable contracts were traded for excellent (Kapanen) to decent (Johnsson) returns.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
20 plus goals and over 40 points thr season before, while never having a long term top six role.

Sure he got a good return, but he is only 24 and is one of the best skaters in the league. I dont think he gets traded for less than a 1st myself. Pittsburgh needs cheap quality that are ready now. Their core of Crosby, Malkin and Letang cannot wait 3-5 years for a 15th overall pick to possible turn into a complete player.

Good deal for sure especially when considering the drafted player "now"... but I get why Pittsburgh paid the price they did. I know Carolina was previously interested in Kapanen, so who knows what the bidding was on Kaps when Pittsburgh pulled the trigger.

And how many times does a 1 time 40 point forward return an Amirov and Hallandar? And when Kapanen played on the top line with Matthews he was quite a disappointment.
And i thought Leafs had no depth beacuse of 40 million on 4 forwards? Now The Pens will paly the 3rd liner of the Leafs on their first line,

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
And how many times does a 1 time 40 point forward return an Amirov and Hallandar? And when Kapanen played on the top line with Matthews he was quite a disappointment.
And i thought Leafs had no depth beacuse of 40 million on 4 forwards? Now The Pens will paly the 3rd liner of the Leafs on their first line,

Well its closer to 50 than 40 when you calculate it over 82 games.

Do you mean how many times has a 20 goal, 50 point player been traded for a mid 1st rounder and a prospect? Just because the leafs appeared to have made an excellent choice at 15 doesn't mean a different team would have also. Look at history of the 15th overall pick.... its not a "sure thing".

What makes Hallander so special to you?

Also.... no depth after the big 4... who are you quoting? I think most with any hockey knowledge thought we had incredible forward depth coming into last season.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Well its closer to 50 than 40 when you calculate it over 82 games.

Do you mean how many times has a 20 goal, 50 point player been traded for a mid 1st rounder and a prospect? Just because the leafs appeared to have made an excellent choice at 15 doesn't mean a different team would have also. Look at history of the 15th overall pick.... its not a "sure thing".

What makes Hallander so special to you?

Also.... no depth after the big 4... who are you quoting? I think most with any hockey knowledge thought we had incredible forward depth coming into last season.

a top pair D in his prime was traded for a 3rd rounder. This is superb value,. Best of of any team this offseason.

It was 44 points in 78 games.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
a top pair D in his prime was traded for a 3rd rounder. This is superb value,. Best of of any team this offseason.

It was 44 points in 78 games.
You didnt respond to any of my questions?

For the record...I was gonna say Schmidt too... but realized the person said "best return of the offseason" not who got the best deal of the offseason. Technically Schmidt is the worst return of the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad