Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Unfortunately I don't think Ovchinnikov was invited to camp (although he likely deserves an invite). Should be in the running for a spot next year.

I believe Podz is favored to be the other guy on that top line (they just played together internationally), so hopefully the boyz provide some thrills (vs non Canada teams).

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Bozak wasn't a bad player, he was just playing to high up in the lineup. He was our number 1 center for a couple years. Bozak was a 3rd liner that was put in a position bound to fail. But regardless if people agree or not, they are almost mirror images of each other. When bozak made cuts down below the offensive face off dots, Rodion does the same thing. When he gains entry they both do the exact same thing. When we get him full time I think people will get it.

It sounds crazy, but I thought the same thing while watching some Amirov clips online. They tend to go to the same place on the ice.

It's a compliment. Bozak has a career because he's smart and reads the ice well. If Amirov can add more talent and a better shot on top of that, he'll go far.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If Amirov and Abramov are on Russia's top line at the WJC I might for the first time ever want Russia to do well. Obviously I would still want Canada to win gold.
They’ll have a pretty exciting team. No Kuznetsov/Tarasenko level talents, but a lot of good forwards - Amirov, Podkolzin, Abramov, Chinakhov, Afanaseyev. Mukhamadullin will be fun to watch on D. And of course Askarov in net. Definitely have a decent shot at the gold.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can we expect Dion to play for Russia at the WJHC?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Can we expect Dion to play for Russia at the WJHC?

In the pre-tourney games a couple weeks ago he was listed on the 3rd line yet lead forwards in ice-time in 2/3 games. They were only missing the players playing in NA for those games and none are better than him.

Fully expect him to be playing either the most or second most minutes in the tournament, and hopefully they f***ing use him on the PP.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In the pre-tourney games a couple weeks ago he was listed on the 3rd line yet lead forwards in ice-time in 2/3 games. They were only missing the players playing in NA for those games and none are better than him.

Fully expect him to be playing either the most or second most minutes in the tournament, and hopefully they f***ing use him on the PP.
Good chance Amirov and Abramov are counted on a lot for the team. Potentially the same line.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Such a HUGE disappointment if he turns out like Bozak. Bozak was high in our lineup by default, not because he was high end.

Amirov seems to have much more talent so hope he becomes more of a difference maker and impact player than Bozak.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Such a HUGE disappointment if he turns out like Bozak. Bozak was high in our lineup by default, not because he was high end.

Amirov seems to have much more talent so hope he becomes more of a difference maker and impact player than Bozak.
Getting 10+ years and 45-50 points a season from the middle of the first round is a pretty solid selection. Not a homerun, but better than most picks in that spot. Bozak was high up in the lineup by default, sure, but that doesnt make him a bad player.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Getting 10+ years and 45-50 points a season from the middle of the first round is a pretty solid selection. Not a homerun, but better than most picks in that spot. Bozak was high up in the lineup by default, sure, but that doesnt make him a bad player.

45-50 points while playing with high end players. He’s not bad but you should aim higher with a mid 1st than a mediocre player.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
I can see the Bozak comparable. Amirov is a much better skater, has more skill, and a better shot. But they do similar things on the ice. I think Amirov has a little more edge to his game too.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Lol... if Amirov is a 50 point player for 10 years that most definitely is a win. That’s a really damn good NHL player.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
45-50 points while playing with high end players. He’s not bad but you should aim higher with a mid 1st than a mediocre player.

There's not another playoff team in the league where Bozak would have been getting #1PP minutes and ES minutes with 2 30+ goal scorers. That's not even mentioning the fact that he was objectively one of the worst defensive players in the league over that stretch.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
There's not another playoff team in the league where Bozak would have been getting #1PP minutes and ES minutes with 2 30+ goal scorers. That's not even mentioning the fact that he was objectively one of the worst defensive players in the league over that stretch.
In fairness he had a career year when he did not play as 1st line C

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bozak isn't a terrible outcome, but the guy was an awful defensive player. One of the worst defensive centres in the league. I'd like Amirov to be better then a Bozak.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Bozak scored 50 points once in his NHL career, so a 10 year run of 50 points would be far superior to Bozak.
Fair I guess.

In defense of Bozak he is a career .59 PPG which averages 48 points a seasonable his time as a Leaf he averaged 50 points per year when you just use PPG.

Regardless, the fact that Bozak has paced almost dead on 50 pts a season through 730 NHL games makes me comfortable enough to call him a 50 pt player. And a 50 pt player over 700+ NHL games is a hell of a player for a mid first rounder.

Reactions: Jeypic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad